S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old January 21st, 2011, 12:14 AM   #1
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Default Roll Line Cushions--break in time?

Doc,

Thanks for your help in changing mine out. I'm on the all clear blues right now on my Rings and while they feel very stable all the way loose, they aren't particularly turny. Everyone keeps asking me if I love how responsive and turny they are but I'm not feeling it. Frankly, the medium rubber cushions in my Mariner Cup are way more responsive.

So, I'm wondering if the urethane cushions have a break in period? I've skated probably 8 hours on them now. Or is I just a matter of needing softer cushions (as you mentioned I might before)? These are for art skating so I don't want crazy squirrelley but they definitely don't feel that responsive.

S
Old January 21st, 2011, 12:59 AM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by slhallford View Post
Doc,

Thanks for your help in changing mine out. I'm on the all clear blues right now on my Rings and while they feel very stable all the way loose, they aren't particularly turny. Everyone keeps asking me if I love how responsive and turny they are but I'm not feeling it. Frankly, the medium rubber cushions in my Mariner Cup are way more responsive.

So, I'm wondering if the urethane cushions have a break in period? I've skated probably 8 hours on them now. Or is I just a matter of needing softer cushions (as you mentioned I might before)? These are for art skating so I don't want crazy squirrelley but they definitely don't feel that responsive.

S
You had the natural rubber cushions on your Mariner Cup?? They are about the same as the gray urethane ... I hate to say it but the blues are probably too stiff..

Have you put the rubber ones from the Mariner on the Ring?? You know how to do it, give it a shot..
You will be a first class sk8 geek in no time..
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:02 AM   #3
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Lol! Yup, that idea occurred to me right after I posted. I think I will be taking them apart in time to try the rubber ones on Saturday then. I appreciate the advice.

S
Old January 21st, 2011, 03:19 AM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default You are welcome...

Quote:
Lol! Yup, that idea occurred to me right after I posted. I think I will be taking them apart in time to try the rubber ones on Saturday then. I appreciate the advice.

S
Keep us posted..
Old January 21st, 2011, 04:25 AM   #5
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Halfway through changing both pairs out...I notice that the pivot pins on my dance skates are woefully in need of adjustment. Thank goodness I waited until there was somebody stronger than me home to loosen those nuts. It was like the first time I tried to change a car tire by myself and had to jump on the tire iron.

So, they were loose and moved from side to side in the cups and I lengthened them a little till they seemed to just touch the cup lightly. I'm thinking that is right from the threads I've read on adjusting them. I lucked out and the pivot pins on the Rings seem to be just right even after switching out the cushions. Ironically, the pivot pin locking nut is easy to adjust on the Rings.

I should know more after Saturday.

S
Old January 21st, 2011, 05:15 AM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Halfway through changing both pairs out...I notice that the pivot pins on my dance skates are woefully in need of adjustment. Thank goodness I waited until there was somebody stronger than me home to loosen those nuts. It was like the first time I tried to change a car tire by myself and had to jump on the tire iron.

I hate that... There are times I have had to use a cheater bar on 'em..

So, they were loose and moved from side to side in the cups and I lengthened them a little till they seemed to just touch the cup lightly. I'm thinking that is right from the threads I've read on adjusting them.

Sounds right to me..

I lucked out and the pivot pins on the Rings seem to be just right even after switching out the cushions. Ironically, the pivot pin locking nut is easy to adjust on the Rings.

That's not ironic, that typical...

I should know more after Saturday.

S
Cool, have fun..
Old January 23rd, 2011, 11:27 PM   #7
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Default It's definitely the cushions

I had no problems with inside edges on those smaller loop circles with the brown natural rubber cushions. I did lack some stability so I'm going to try the blue upper with the rubber on the lower. I think that might give me an idea of what I'll want for the urethane to order. I'm guessing that blue upper/lower gray might give me the combo I'm looking for on the figure circles. And now, I feel like I might want to make some similar changes on my dance skates as well.

S
Old January 24th, 2011, 05:17 AM   #8
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Thumbs up Sweet and thanks for the update..

Quote:
I had no problems with inside edges on those smaller loop circles with the brown natural rubber cushions. I did lack some stability so I'm going to try the blue upper with the rubber on the lower. I think that might give me an idea of what I'll want for the urethane to order. I'm guessing that blue upper/lower gray might give me the combo I'm looking for on the figure circles. And now, I feel like I might want to make some similar changes on my dance skates as well.

S
Ain't it great?? So much better than having some one else do the tuning. Now you understand what happens and why..

Enjoy!!

Last edited by Doc Sk8; January 25th, 2011 at 01:09 AM.
Doc Sk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #9
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Ain't it great?? So much better than having some one else do the tuning. Now you understand what happens and why..

Enjoy!!
Yes, I feel very good about knowing how to adjust the pivot pins and change out the cushions. I don't know any other local art skaters that work on their own skates and from what I gather using anything other than the stock cushions is almost unheard of. And that is really a shame since I think I'm going to see some real improvement once I have the kinks worked out.

S

Last edited by Doc Sk8; January 25th, 2011 at 01:09 AM.
slhallford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 01:08 AM   #10
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Yes, I feel very good about knowing how to adjust the pivot pins and change out the cushions. I don't know any other local art skaters that work on their own skates and from what I gather using anything other than the stock cushions is almost unheard of. And that is really a shame since I think I'm going to see some real improvement once I have the kinks worked out.

S

One other thought... Suspensions are a constant challenge.. Why?? Because you should always try to run them just shy of your comfort zone on the soft side... This will let you build up more and more leg / ankle / foot strength... When ya have them clicked all the way out it's time to get softer cushions...

I'm not into art by any means but for my money Roll Lines come with harder cushions than necessary... Maybe a ploy to get you to buy more??
Old January 25th, 2011, 02:10 AM   #11
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:

One other thought... Suspensions are a constant challenge.. Why?? Because you should always try to run them just shy of your comfort zone on the soft side... This will let you build up more and more leg / ankle / foot strength... When ya have them clicked all the way out it's time to get softer cushions...

I'm not into art by any means but for my money Roll Lines come with harder cushions than necessary... Maybe a ploy to get you to buy more??
I think you're right, Doc. After trying my third set of cushions; I started thing of the numerous types of pasta. It's all made of flour isn't it?
Old January 25th, 2011, 02:46 AM   #12
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Quote:

Yeah, it would be much nicer if they gave you a choice or set several different durometers instead of two sets of hard ones.

S
Old January 25th, 2011, 02:47 AM   #13
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

I tried the blue upper, natural rubber lower combo today. That was weird. I think the natural was just too squishy and the combination of the rebound of the urethane and the rubber together had this strange squirrely feel. I've got a set of grays on the way so more testing to do.

S
Old January 25th, 2011, 05:13 AM   #14
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default That's the ticket...

Quote:
I tried the blue upper, natural rubber lower combo today. That was weird. I think the natural was just too squishy and the combination of the rebound of the urethane and the rubber together had this strange squirrely feel. I've got a set of grays on the way so more testing to do.

S
Good, keep us posted..
Old January 31st, 2011, 03:16 AM   #15
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Two days on the blue/gray combo. So far, so good. MUCH better than the previous combo. Edges were much more stable on the circle loops even all the way loose and quite nice tightened up on the big circles. I need to give it another week or so and see and give the gray/gray thing a whirl but I'm feeling the most hopeful so far with this one.

S
Old January 31st, 2011, 06:06 AM   #16
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Excellent..

Quote:
Two days on the blue/gray combo. So far, so good. MUCH better than the previous combo. Edges were much more stable on the circle loops even all the way loose and quite nice tightened up on the big circles. I need to give it another week or so and see and give the gray/gray thing a whirl but I'm feeling the most hopeful so far with this one.

S
Remember, keep after your adjustments and work toward looser.. The stronger you are, the more control you can exercise over your sk8s..
Old February 1st, 2011, 06:34 AM   #17
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Remember, keep after your adjustments and work toward looser.. The stronger you are, the more control you can exercise over your sk8s..
This is so true Doc. When I feel the slightest wiggle wobble in my trucks, I press a little harder to control the edge, and that builds muscle; and makes for a more accomplished, controlled skater. Working toward looser, as you suggested, has worked well for me. I went from hard to soft cushions within the first few weeks, and then to having my trucks on the loosest setting possible.

The outcome has resulted in quicker, tighter turns on controlled edges. I'm talking about loops, turns, and spins.
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:31 PM   #18
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
This is so true Doc. When I feel the slightest wiggle wobble in my trucks, I press a little harder to control the edge, and that builds muscle; and makes for a more accomplished, controlled skater. Working toward looser, as you suggested, has worked well for me. I went from hard to soft cushions within the first few weeks, and then to having my trucks on the loosest setting possible.

The outcome has resulted in quicker, tighter turns on controlled edges. I'm talking about loops, turns, and spins.
Thanks for posting this... It always helps to convert the non believers when they see a successful "It worked for me" post.
Old February 9th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #19
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

OK, I'm now on the clear blue upper and green lowers. I am very happy so far with this combo on my Ring plates for figures. My edges are better and my takeoffs are smoother.

I ended up putting my hard yellow rubber cushions in the upper and natural rubber cushions in the lower on my Mariner Cup plates out of curiosity and I am pretty happy with that combination as well. I like it much better than the all natural rubber cushions that came stock. Eventually, I'd like to get a set of the clear uppers to try with the clear blue and gray lowers just to compare.

Thanks for all the help with this.

S
Old February 10th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #20
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
OK, I'm now on the clear blue upper and green lowers. I am very happy so far with this combo on my Ring plates for figures. My edges are better and my takeoffs are smoother.

I ended up putting my hard yellow rubber cushions in the upper and natural rubber cushions in the lower on my Mariner Cup plates out of curiosity and I am pretty happy with that combination as well. I like it much better than the all natural rubber cushions that came stock. Eventually, I'd like to get a set of the clear uppers to try with the clear blue and gray lowers just to compare.

Thanks for all the help with this.

S
Thank you for the update...

How is the local art skater crowd that doesn't work on their own skates and use only stock cushions taking this?? Anyone taking note??