S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old October 8th, 2010, 07:08 AM   #1
nbskat8

Default Boots?

[IMG][/IMG]Hey Doc? would you know how old these riedell boots are? the bottom says m-10-pm. I know m is for medium, 10 is the size. Whats the pm stand for? The wheels are labeda sptinter bearings are labeda with old ultimate III plates. I scored this whole skate set up for 25 bucks!!! I'm just trying to figure out about what era this may have been a commin speed skate. The old labeda bearing roll better than my year old powell swiss. The boot leather is way softer than my newer 695's. I'm guessing that these skates were used about 10 times. they sure don't make them like this anymore!!!!
nbskat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #2
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

HOW DO YOU PEOPLE DO IT???

There was a $5 skate, $50... and now this. People in Atlanta must just be greedy.
swolltitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #3
Snarf77
Jump On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolltitan View Post
HOW DO YOU PEOPLE DO IT???

There was a $5 skate, $50... and now this. People in Atlanta must just be greedy.
I know right. I'd easily pay $100 for just the boot if I needed it without a second thought. Epic score. nbskat8, you should upgrade that plate to DA-45 and give me that one!
Old October 8th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbskat8 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]Hey Doc? would you know how old these riedell boots are? the bottom says m-10-pm. I know m is for medium, 10 is the size. Whats the pm stand for?

To be honest, I never tried to figure it out... Besides, the date code is printed on the inside, I think... Maybe someone else knows how it breaks out but not the Doc.

The wheels are labeda sptinter bearings are labeda with old ultimate III plates. I scored this whole skate set up for 25 bucks!!!

Nice....

I'm just trying to figure out about what era this may have been a commin speed skate.

If you meant common, it would not have ever been common... That is top notch stuff...

The old labeda bearing roll better than my year old powell swiss.

Interesting, I have heard that before, but as close as I can tell the Labeda bearing was a GMN. Excellent bearing but not up to Swiss grade...

The boot leather is way softer than my newer 695's.

and it is made differently as well... Note the stitching along the sides of the boot that follow the counters?? That's a sure sign you got the good stuff...

I'm guessing that these skates were used about 10 times. they sure don't make them like this anymore!!!!

No they don't. In 1992 the boots were around $160.00, the plates were around $270.00, the bearings around $65.00 and the wheels.... well those were obsolete by 1992...

Now a word of caution... Ultimates corrode like mad between the boots and the plates... I suggest you get them pulled down and verify the plates are not in dire need of help...

Old October 8th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
I know right. I'd easily pay $100 for just the boot if I needed it without a second thought.

Well no kidding... The boots are worth more now than they were new in 92...

Epic score. nbskat8, you should upgrade that plate to DA-45 and give me that one!
Yeah give is an even better deal...
Old October 9th, 2010, 04:47 AM   #6
nbskat8

Default Plates?

On the plates can I clean them in a solvant bath? As for any restoration being that their magnisium can they be polished? Or should I send them of to the powder coater? I've seen them nickle plated can the be crhomed or gold plated?

Last edited by nbskat8; October 9th, 2010 at 04:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old October 9th, 2010, 05:09 AM   #7
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Not solvent...at least till you are done..
1) Rotary wire brush
2) Strip off the old powder coat.
3) Sand and polish if you wish (now you can clean 'em with solvent) BUT...
4) Get 'em to the platers. ASAP!! dvw is the go to guy for Ultimate plating..at least he is for me.... I imagine other than Nickle can be done but IDK for sure....
Old October 9th, 2010, 08:25 AM   #8
scubask8tr

The PM inside the boot means they were made in the afternoon ,as opposed to AM which means they would've been made in the morning
Crikey ,a 3rd grader could work that out
scubask8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #9
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default ?!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubask8tr View Post
The PM inside the boot

It is stamped in the bottom, not the inside.

means they were made in the afternoon ,as opposed to AM which means they would've been made in the morning
Crikey ,a 3rd grader could work that out
So what does the CH and GN stamped on the 2 random pair I pulled out of stock mean to your hypothetical 3rd grader?? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old October 10th, 2010, 07:51 AM   #10
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Default Ultimate reconditioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
2) Strip off the old powder coat.
I use this stuff. Get some disposable aluminum pans and put the plates in for a soak. Use a plastic spatula to ease off the goo.

Quote:
3) Sand and polish if you wish (now you can clean 'em with solvent) BUT...
And be very mindful of your dust. Clean up often. Powdered magnesium is very flammable and hard to put out. Magnesium is very porous, and you'll only get them so shiny. It's also a "self healing" metal and tarnishes quickly, forming an oxide layer that turns a dark gray. It reacts with water to form hydrogen gas, especially in powdered form, so no wet cloths to clean up.

Quote:
Get 'em to the platers. ASAP!! dvw is the go to guy for Ultimate plating..at least he is for me.... I imagine other than Nickle can be done but IDK for sure....
Chrome is the next best thing. There's a black nickel available, but it scratches if you look at it funny. Might be able to do chrome over it, but I'd have to check. There's also copper, silver, and gold, but they're industrial coatings, not intended to be cosmetic.
Old October 10th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #11
scubask8tr

Quote:
So what does the CH and GN stamped on the 2 random pair I pulled out of stock mean to your hypothetical 3rd grader?? Inquiring minds want to know.
Let me think about it ,I'm sure I can come up with something
scubask8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #12
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbskat8 View Post
On the plates can I clean them in a solvant bath? As for any restoration being that their magnisium can they be polished? Or should I send them of to the powder coater? I've seen them nickle plated can the be crhomed or gold plated?
Careful with the solvents. Methanol + magnesium = spontaneous fire. Magnesium burns hot enough that putting water on it will make it mad. If you use a common household fire extinguisher, the fire wouldn't even notice it.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 05:33 AM   #13
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Default Thusly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
Magnesium burns hot enough that putting water on it will make it mad. If you use a common household fire
extinguisher, the fire wouldn't even notice it.
Linky.

While you're at it, Google Class D Fire Extinguishers.
Old October 12th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #14
niteridr95

just a question on this sealing thing... how bad would clear coating them work??? mine are just spray painted at the moment and i havent really seen any thing bad other then it scrapping off... figured that was from the cheapo paint the has been frozen over the past 2 winters
Old October 12th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #15
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
Careful with the solvents. Methanol + magnesium = spontaneous fire. Magnesium burns hot enough that putting water on it will make it mad. If you use a common household fire extinguisher, the fire wouldn't even notice it.
^.. methanol rapidly corrodes mg. and " spirited offgassing" is the nice way to describe what happens.
elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #16
matty thoms
Jam Skate Mafia

Smile m-10-PM

The PM in the "M-10-PM" is the year that the boot was made for all you wondering.
We will just say this boot was made in the mid 80's
matty thoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #17
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Interesting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty thoms View Post
The PM in the "M-10-PM" is the year that the boot was made for all you wondering.
We will just say this boot was made in the mid 80's

So you have the code key to break these down??
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #18
matty thoms
Jam Skate Mafia

Smile

I dont have it physically but its a call away. Did you have a question about a boot and when it was made?
matty thoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 06:30 AM   #19
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty thoms View Post
I dont have it physically but its a call away. Did you have a question about a boot and when it was made?
No I don't have a specific question.... but it would be nice to know the code... It could settle a lot of bar bets, I'll bet...
Old October 13th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #20
nbskat8

Default PM?

I was told from a pretty good source that pm was a 1987 production. The source is good but lets not bet the farm on it!!!!!!!