S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old July 22nd, 2010, 04:04 AM   #1
GettingFaster

Default Anabolix Tires

I have skated about 6 sessions on my tires and roll is great as is the grip is great, but they are really starting to get a lot of dirt on them, what is the best way to clean them? Thanks
GettingFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 04:43 AM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Generally

Plain water in a wet towel.... If that does not do it... Call Craig, or better yet, drive over to see him...
Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:28 AM   #3
ronbow

I went from red Shamans to Anabolix and they are a way faster roll for me I really like them
ronbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 06:40 AM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Thanks for that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbow View Post
I went from red Shamans to Anabolix and they are a way faster roll for me I really like them

I would certainly hope so... So, how do you clean yours??
Old July 23rd, 2010, 07:06 AM   #5
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

Default Dishwasher

Sound crazy, but I put my wheels in the dishwasher.
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 01:16 PM   #6
dodge

Default dishwasher...

i do the same, minus the bearings of course...
dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 02:45 PM   #7
ronbow

I hope you dont use Dishwasher soap It is very very caustic, put a little in your hand and wet it stay close to the sink you will want wash it off fast. I use armour all CLEANER wipes on my Shamans and these Anabolix when they are real dirty.been doin that for 3 or 4 years through 2 set of Shamans they work great, then a plain water rinse Doc.Never had any problems doin that Sometimes plain water just wont do the trick
ronbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 08:31 PM   #8
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Thanks..

Quote:
I hope you dont use Dishwasher soap It is very very caustic, put a little in your hand and wet it stay close to the sink you will want wash it off fast.

My dishwasher uses Dove....

I use armour all CLEANER wipes on my Shamans and these Anabolix when they are real dirty.been doin that for 3 or 4 years through 2 set of Shamans they work great, then a plain water rinse Doc. Never had any problems doin that.

Never tried those...

Sometimes plain water just wont do the trick

You got that right... But normally a scrub brush and water is all it takes...
Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:09 PM   #9
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
So, how do you clean yours??
I have a laundry sink in the basement with a very flat bottom. I put a piece of paper towel longer than my skates down on the bottom of the sink and soak it with water. Then I tuck the laces in my skates and slowly roll them back and forth across the soaked paper towel. After a bit I roll them some more to get the rink gunk completely saturated with water. After that it is a simple matter to remove the gunk with a old terry cloth hand towel.

With care the only thing that gets wet is the OD of the tires. This is the easiest method I have found.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:16 PM   #10
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Thumbs up Good stuff... Keep 'em coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
I have a laundry sink in the basement with a very flat bottom. I put a piece of paper towel longer than my skates down on the bottom of the sink and soak it with water. Then I tuck the laces in my skates and slowly roll them back and forth across the soaked paper towel. After a bit I roll them some more to get the rink gunk completely saturated with water. After that it is a simple matter to remove the gunk with a old terry cloth hand towel.

With care the only thing that gets wet is the OD of the tires. This is the easiest method I have found.
That's slick and it makes real good sense...

A different spin on the damp towel on the side walk method I used lacking a decent sized sink...
Old July 24th, 2010, 05:02 AM   #11
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

Default Hmmmm

Quote:
I hope you dont use Dishwasher soap It is very very caustic, put a little in your hand and wet it stay close to the sink you will want wash it off fast. I use armour all CLEANER wipes on my Shamans and these Anabolix when they are real dirty.been doin that for 3 or 4 years through 2 set of Shamans they work great, then a plain water rinse Doc.Never had any problems doin that Sometimes plain water just wont do the trick
Maybe thats where my missing wheel went!!!!!

I rarely use the dishwasher. And only with my plastic hub road wheels anyway. Usually just a wipe over with the damp face washer works for me.

Or give them a soak in the kitchen sink with some detergent.
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #12
GettingFaster

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the great advice, I tried the method described by "wired" with the towel in the utility tub and it worked great!!!!
GettingFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #13
Broken Joe

Default Indoor wheels cleaner for coated floors

I used to use a 25-75%; white vinegar to water mix to clean wheels. Same formula that we used to scrub the floor back in the day at Round-A-Bout in Fayetteville, NC.

I know this will go against the grain for alot of you out there but alcohol wipes work well for the tuff stuff. Especially for the derby folks who skate on uncoated cement floors. Since derby is tuff on wheels and no wheel will rarely last over 1 year playing derby, the alcohol won't degrade the urethane enough to notice.

On coated wood floors don't use the alcohol though. The urethane will absorb a little of the alcohol and will spin out while skating (you'll never notice it though), but the floor coating will and with enough folks using alcohol to clean wheels it will eat up the floor coating in the corners. This is why USARS (er, USAC back in the day) had a limitation on wheel cleaning products & water was the only "certified" wheel cleaner.

Now if you could get hold of the wheel cleaner that Mr. Hedrick used to produce (aerosol spray with cleaners in it that evaporated quickly) that's the ticket. But it's getting very hard to find.

Last edited by Broken Joe; July 27th, 2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Typo!!
Broken Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #14
Smokin_Endo
Satellite Commander

Default just my method

OK when I first get a wheel set I usually wash them in the sink using the new Oxiclean Brillo pads. They seem to work great when your dealing with oxidized aluminum hubs and they clean the tires of any deep grease and grime. This method takes a little elbow grease but seems to work wonders for me. Sometimes it takes me 2 or 3 pads to get a hub entirely clean but a box of pads is pretty cheap. I don't use this method on printed graphics as it will remove them.

In between sessions I will usually use a damp washcloth to clean the tires and wipe down the hubs. This is when I don't have time to remove the wheels and bearings for a thorough cleaning.

when I have time I will remove the wheel wipe down the bearings and clean the wheels in the sink with Dawn and a blue scrubby sponge. Again don't rub too hard on the graphics as you could remove them or fade them.

I've even used an old washcloth on occasion with alcohol when I'm in a rush

Last edited by Smokin_Endo; July 27th, 2010 at 11:06 PM. Reason: I misunderstood so I had to rewrite everything
Smokin_Endo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #15
8-Ball
CERTIFIED ANTI CRONIE!!!!

Default Cleaning.. Two Words..

Alcohol Wipes.... (Iso)...

They come in wipes like baby wipes.. really break away the stubborn black gunk..(that you dont get if you clean them often enough)..
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #16
Slam Iam

I have always used warm water and S.O.S. pads, that blue crap really makes em feel grippy. I usually only wash the contact surface of the wheel this way...it won't help your hubs too much.
Slam Iam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #17
Smokin_Endo
Satellite Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam Iam View Post
I usually only wash the contact surface of the wheel this way...it won't help your hubs too much.
I'd have to respectfully disagree I've cleaned up a few sets with this method and it really works wonders on the aluminum. I do understand that the Brillo can remove the anodized coating and that over time with a little neglect it can be damaging as corrosion sets in. I also get that the Brillo is actually removing metal but for the sake of salvaging a wheel I'd say it works to your advantage as opposed to damaging the wheel. Think of how sometimes to save an old wheel we need to cut off some old urethane, well sometimes to clean an old hub you've got to shave off some old metal.

Me personally I love things shinny but I also like things to look factory so when it comes to the hubs I like the shine you get from the Brillo more-so then the shine you get from polish. I don't like the idea of bringing contaminants to the floor and I've personally seen polish on more then one occasion get trapped between the hub and the tire. Then when you get to the rink and your wheels get warmed up the polish walks out to the edge of the hub and worse flings on the floor.

here's a couple pix

this is old black polish residue running out of the back of an old Interceptor after running it under lukewarm water (check it out it's not even steaming) for less than a minute. Imagine how much hotter that tire gets after a short period of time skating it

took me almost 15 minutes to get all the old polish out

Last edited by Smokin_Endo; July 27th, 2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #18
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

Just want to add a word of caution about the dishwasher!!

It's great for cleaning the fan jet tires, and I have not heard of a problem with plastic hubbed wheels either.

However if you put aluminum hubbed wheels in there , the heat can cause the urethane to come loose from the metal hub. I had it happen once and that was the last set of metal hubbed wheels that I put in the dishwasher!!
Live2sk888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #19
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Exclamation Great input. BUT!!

Feel free to provide your input. Wheel cleaning is as varied and subjective as anything else in our sport / hobby.

PLEASE Do not argue about it here. Other folks experiences may not match your experiences... If they conflict, so be it.

Arguing is best done in the general quad forum. More players.....

NOTE: This is ASK DOC SK8 after all.. If I edit for technical or other content, that's my call.
Old July 27th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #20
Smokin_Endo
Satellite Commander

whoops I posted my edit as a new reply LOL sorry

Last edited by Smokin_Endo; July 27th, 2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: dummy move