S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old October 6th, 2011, 08:23 AM   #21
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post
You forgot Option 5 but I know you have already dismissed this................leave the standard ones in there

Option 6..............get armidillo to bodge up a set for you
Option 5 is alive and well, I'm just trying to make something easy, difficult!
Option 6.... I've done some dangerous and stupid stuff in my life but you have to draw the line somewhere!
Old October 6th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #22
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nick View Post
So Doc, rather than a pm I figure I may as well just keep this going.

Works for me....

Options at the moment are,
1. get some of Scotts Boen Special king pins and Re-tap the plate, possibly helicoil? but from what you said in Wes's thread that might not be doable?

As thin as the plate is under the king pin boss, I would not helicoli.. The helicoil will most likely be in the same OD size range as the 1/2 x 20 thread. Seriously I would do nothing to the plates unless there was damage to the threads..

2. What cassa said above.

A good option if the current thread geometry would allow it..

3. get Wes to make a new full custom set.

7075 and thread both ends.. Keep it simple, Armadillo is correct in his assessment that SL nuts are a whole lot less grief than the expanding collet style king pin.. If you're still going with the oddball stock cushions it would make life simple

4. hope you come up with a better idea!

I guess what I would really like to know at the moment is the viability of option 1.
Thanks Doc.
Does that help??

Last edited by Doc Sk8; October 6th, 2011 at 10:44 PM.
Doc Sk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #23
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Yep! Thanks heaps Doc, I'm narrowing down the options. Still not decided but I'm getting there.
Cheers mate.

Thanks for the input as well Rusty.

Last edited by Big Nick; October 7th, 2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Thanks Rusty
Big Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #24
scrapdaddy

nick, i have the king pins you need, grade 8, hardened steel, not light, but i could copy out of ti or alloy, i personally would not trust the alloy, i have broken them several times, but have not broken my ti's yet, i just got some of those wips, and will be converting myself, just give me a week and ill know what it takes......
Old October 8th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #25
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapdaddy View Post
nick, i have the king pins you need, grade 8, hardened steel, not light, but i could copy out of ti or alloy, i personally would not trust the alloy, i have broken them several times, but have not broken my ti's yet, i just got some of those wips, and will be converting myself, just give me a week and ill know what it takes......
Thanks mate, more options!
I like the Ti idea, are you going to make them reverse? That was why I was leaning towards the Boen pins, trying to get the nice low profile adjuster nut.

Doc, I'm still interested in knowing if there is one already on the market that will do the trick?
Old October 8th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #26
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nick View Post
Doc, I'm still interested in knowing if there is one already on the market that will do the trick?
Not that I am aware of.. The thread on that pin is the same one on the Reactor adjuster end..

Quote:
nick, i have the king pins you need, grade 8, hardened steel,

Which king pins are these and how do you know they are grade 8??

not light, but i could copy out of ti or alloy, i personally would not trust the alloy, i have broken them several times,

Please be more specific. Which alloy king pins have you broken and what were you doing when they failed?? Some personal info would help as well, like how much you weigh..

but have not broken my ti's yet,

Quite possibly, but I have had 160 pound derby sk8rs bend the SG Ti pins.

i just got some of those wips,

Pix please.. There are 2 different flavors of WIPS with 2 different types of king pins and many folks confuse them with the Black Diamond Whip.

and will be converting myself, just give me a week and ill know what it takes......
By all means keep us posted....
Old October 9th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #27
scrapdaddy

Default info

Will post pics when I get the cam back from the wife, and reverse kingpins, like the ones for SG-da45, made on a 1911 Reed-Prentice lathe, out of Ti. I can make them to any length or thread so its kinda easy to turn them out, well except for materials.

Doc, I have a Rockwell hardness tester, and a shear tester, and the kingpins I have on hand that match the thread mentioned, were purchased, not made in house, my supplier doesn't usually send anything less than grade 8 out to me, unless requested. The alloys I broke were 7075 made by me, and jumping.

I am 5'10, 210lbs, derby ref, 38yearsold, been skating whole life, aggressive ramp/street/derby, always on quads. I really hadn't got into tearing apart and modifying my skates till last year, didn't need to, but derby has me backwards on the inside track and my ramp skates just were not set up for it.

I have been struggling to figure out the right set up for that for a while, per the email I sent to you on this subject.

A lot of what I use for hardware is either made in house or from the industrial supplies I have for making things, and when it comes down to kingpins/studs, most every thread combination is avail, in grade 8 hardened steel, so I copy those to make them out of alloy or Ti etc.

I don't know what TI the SG are made from, haven't had any in front of me yet, but will this week. I am buying some size 6 super whites on Monday, when I get them it will be tester time, and some chemical analysis too, sorry for my spelling, math is my thing, not grammar...

I hope this answers all questions
waiting to here from you Doc....
and you Nick.....
back to cleaning the house
SD

Last edited by Doc Sk8; October 10th, 2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old October 9th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #28
scrapdaddy

Default disclaimer

I by no means think I know everything. I'm learning lots and lots from this site and all the people here and am extremely grateful for all input and criticism. Correct me as necessary, please.
I honestly believe I am always learning, and relearning, I don't want to be better than anybody, just better than I was yesterday!

Last edited by Doc Sk8; October 10th, 2011 at 04:29 AM.
Old October 10th, 2011, 04:26 AM   #29
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

I tuned this up a bit to make it easier to read.. Hope this is not offensive...

Quote:
Will post pics when I get the cam back from the wife, and reverse kingpins, like the ones for SG-da45, made on a 1911 Reed-Prentice lathe, out of Ti. I can make them to any length or thread so its kinda easy to turn them out, well except for materials.

Nice...

Doc, I have a Rockwell hardness tester, and a shear tester, and the kingpins I have on hand that match the thread mentioned, were purchased, not made in house, my supplier doesn't usually send anything less than grade 8 out to me, unless requested.

So I can assume this is nice industrial bolt??

The alloys I broke were 7075 made by me, and jumping.

Can you tell me the thread and diameter configuration? If the alloy pins were smaller than 1/2 at the base they probably were not strong enough for jumping.. Heck even Pro Lines and the first gen Advantages had steel optional pins for that very purpose..

I am 5'10, 210lbs, derby ref, 38 years old, been skating whole life, aggressive ramp/street/derby, always on quads. I really hadn't got into tearing apart and modifying my skates till last year, didn't need to, but derby has me backwards on the inside track and my ramp skates just were not set up for it.

I have been struggling to figure out the right set up for that for a while, per the email I sent to you on this subject.

Which has me scratching my head.. I'll get back to you on that..

A lot of what I use for hardware is either made in house or from the industrial supplies I have for making things, and when it comes down to kingpins/studs, most every thread combination is avail, in grade 8 hardened steel, so I copy those to make them out of alloy or Ti etc.

I don't know what TI the SG are made from, haven't had any in front of me yet, but will this week. I am buying some size 6 super whites on Monday, when I get them it will be tester time, and some chemical analysis too, sorry for my spelling, math is my thing, not grammar...

Nice to have all the science toys.. I gave all that up when I retired....

I hope this answers all questions
waiting to here from you Doc....

Pretty much.. Just the couple above..

and you Nick.....
back to cleaning the house
SD
Interesting.. Nice to find yet another forum member with skills..
Old October 10th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #30
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Thumbs up I'm good with this..

Quote:
I by no means think I know everything. I'm learning lots and lots from this site and all the people here and am extremely grateful for all input and criticism. Correct me as necessary, please.

Dangerous request.. Some of our alternative science members will start trying to fill your head..

I honestly believe I am always learning, and relearning, I don't want to be better than anybody, just better than I was yesterday!
Great concept... I admire that kind of thinking..

BTW, I don't feel any kind of challenge or threat was issued.. You are who you are, you know what you know.. We all benefit from someone that can bring new tools to the game..

I will be very interested in any metallurgy info you can provide..
Old October 10th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #31
Armadillo

Richard, You just don't get it, do you?? STAY OFF THIS FORUM. Can't understand ENGLISH?? GO AWAY. And STAY AWAY.

Last edited by Doc Sk8; October 10th, 2011 at 04:49 PM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #32
scrapdaddy

Default hummm

food for thought, home with sick 2 year old today, so time to think, i agree about threads and alloys, the alloys are too soft and threads weakin the dickens out of things, i have been using grade 5 ti to make pins, and i only thread them as much as i have too, i like the idea of a press fit pin for a with a hex head to lock it in, but think that a press fit with a simple press fit pin in the base plate to keep it from rotating might be lighter. or just a groove machined into the end of the pin to use as a keyway
Old October 10th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #33
scrapdaddy

Default editing

and doc, why do you edit my posts, am i doing something wrong?
Old October 10th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #34
scrapdaddy

Default nick

and nick if you dont care about weight,ill send 4 of those reverse kingpins to you with your wheels, but they are the steel ones
Old October 10th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #35
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
and doc, why do you edit my posts, am i doing something wrong?
Nothing wrong, I just found it very hard to read.. My intention was not to offend, just to make it easier to read.. Did I misstate something?? Fell free to let me know and I will fix it.

It is my forum after all.. ANY post other than asking a question is strictly my call..
Old October 10th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #36
scrapdaddy

Default perfection

nothing wrong with that at all, just wondering, im not great at the flow while typeing, as i said before, math is my thing, i have 2 degree's, engineering and arch, but needed tudors to help me with english stuff till the day i finished collage, and i still cant spell worth a damn! will call you later, thanks again for all the help