S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old March 12th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #61
Spartan
.45 Magnum

How, specifically, did it "not work"? Did it make you feel uncomfortable? In what way? Did it make you slower? Did your feet hurt or strain your joints? What did you come off of when you went to that mount? A Doc mount or a Reidell mount?
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #62
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
How, specifically, did it "not work"? Did it make you feel uncomfortable? In what way? Did it make you slower? Did your feet hurt or strain your joints? What did you come off of when you went to that mount? A Doc mount or a Reidell mount?
whether or not the guru mounted it ..i do not know. but all things point to him doing the mounting. ( i was under the assumption that riedell was going to be doing the mounting)..

basically the feet always wanted to split apart. instead of the plate being centered, where my weight was even on each side when in a neutral stance. with the mount so close to the instep, i was fighting my weight tipping to each outside edge. this was incredibly apparent when skating backwards. ( feet always wanting to be \ / )

no strain on my joints aside from the normal ware and tare from 20 years of skating.....but because of the odd weighting, the outside edge of my foot had a disproportionate amount of my weight on it, and i had to compensate for that.

i have been, for a very long time, primarily an inline skater. but the quad itch struck again..so i tried these. they were mounted so far back that even accomplished quad skaters were having fits skating them, because there wasn't any part of the wheel under the ball of the foot...it was very frustrating.

kennedy: no session for me tonight, my rottweiler just had his knee replaced..and he popped one of his stiches, vet is staying open a little late so i can have it closed up

Last edited by elemental; March 12th, 2010 at 11:43 AM.
elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #63
Spartan
.45 Magnum

Did it feel like it did anything better than a standard mount or your new mount?
Old March 12th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #64
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
Did it feel like it did anything better than a standard mount or your new mount?
no...nothing better, not for me. it shorted my crosses and made skating backwards (which i do almost entirely these days) less natural
elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 02:17 AM   #65
Spartan
.45 Magnum

its funny you mentioned shortened cross overs. Thats the first thing I noticed about my girls on these skates, they looked like they were cutting their crossovers short. i would expect that on the right skate because it seems like it would be harder to get fully extended, but I would expect it to actually be easier on the left crossover because the foot is already hanging off that side. Man, this is good stuff, I want to hear from more skaters who either ended up on these mounts or just got off them. I ask my girls, but they don't really know how to really evaluate their skates, they just regurgitate whatever they were told by the salesman...er, skate builder. Its really taught me to be careful when I ask them how a skate feels after I build it. It could feel like ish and they'd say it felt great.
Old March 13th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #66
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

I tend to ask them if the skates are pulling one way or another, if they turn easier, and if they feel more in control. Asking if they feel better is too broad and open. They can still BS me, but I like to ask several specific questions.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #67
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default No leading questions...

Just ask what is different.