S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old May 29th, 2018, 08:09 PM   #1
Vertman

Default Black Diamond Whip (USA) Replacement Trucks

I recently came into possession of a set of Whip plates, metallic blue, with trucks that have the pivot balls screwed into them. But I am missing two of the trucks. The closest replacement that I have been able to find is a SG Classic truck, but they don't really work. The cushions would have to be machined to an angle or alternately the king-pin hole in the truck would need to be slotted out quite a bit. Neither is a good solution.

In a past thread, someone suggested the Atlas Circle Master truck, but no one verified whether or not that would actually work.

Has anyone found a truck that replaces the Whip truck?

Thanks.

Sometimes, the only way to keep going is to make a left turn. -- Kyle, in South Park

Last edited by Vertman; May 29th, 2018 at 08:12 PM. Reason: grammar error
Vertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2018, 06:00 AM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertman View Post
I recently came into possession of a set of Whip plates, metallic blue, with trucks that have the pivot balls screwed into them. But I am missing two of the trucks. The closest replacement that I have been able to find is a SG Classic truck, but they don't really work. The cushions would have to be machined to an angle or alternately the king-pin hole in the truck would need to be slotted out quite a bit. Neither is a good solution.

In a past thread, someone suggested the Atlas Circle Master truck, but no one verified whether or not that would actually work.

Has anyone found a truck that replaces the Whip truck?

Thanks.

The SG truck that fits the probe plate are the same ones you are talking about that "almost" fit right? Care to take a picture?

There are new 10 Deg trucks produced by suregrip for the Avanti plates. Which have adjustable pivot pins.

I have 1 extra. If the pictures look promising I could probably just send it your way for you to double check.
Old May 31st, 2018, 01:38 PM   #3
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default My 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
The SG truck that fits the probe plate are the same ones you are talking about that "almost" fit right? Care to take a picture?

No Marshall, the Classic truck has a precision pivot.

There are new 10 Deg trucks produced by suregrip for the Avanti plates. Which have adjustable pivot pins.

Close but I'm thinking the Avanti trucks would fit on a Classic with just a cushion change. I have both

I have 1 extra. If the pictures look promising I could probably just send it your way for you to double check.
No the proper answer here is getting the correct truck. I have monkeyed around with that plate enough I have yet to find a suitable sub, and you know how much I like to frankenplate. The Whip pivot ball is a lot closer to the Chicago Panther size wise (but not thread wise) and there appears to have been @ least 3 flavors of the Whip trucks anyway.

So pix of the Whip are very helpful. I could have the replacement trucks he needs.

Now on to some Whip lore. Why do so many used American Whips show up sans a truck or 3?? They were never intended for a lot of the stupid $hit kids (and some grownups) do in sk8s. The housings are magnesium just like the OG SA Black Diamond plate. Folks that have the OG SA Black Diamond are always looking for trucks as those can suffer from SA abuse beyond being magnesium.

Now judging from the OP's screen name, vert sk8ing is not something I would recommend for either of the Black Diamonds.
Old May 31st, 2018, 07:54 PM   #4
Vertman

This is definitely not going the way I had hoped.

I don't have a working camera right now, but I have cropped some pictures that seem to be identical to the plate that I have.

Here is an image of the full plate. It is the metallic blue (not beige) version.

Here is an image that shows the geometry particularly well. My plate doesn't have the pinch screw on the toe-stop hole, but the truck looks like mine. I haven't seen any other photos of the Whip with a pinch screw, so I'm not sure if that was a manufactured variant of the plate or an owner modification.

This image shows the pivot ball in detail. Mine looks exactly like this, except that on mine the washer between the ball and the truck is a little bit thinner.

I was hoping to not be at the mercy of being lucky enough to find actual Whip trucks, but it looks like that will not be the case. The SG Classic would work, but only if the distance from the king-pin hole to the pivot cup was a little bit longer.

As to my moniker being Vertman, that applies to my surfing style only. When any falling means landing on a hard surface, my style is scaled back accordingly.

Sometimes, the only way to keep going is to make a left turn. -- Kyle, in South Park
Vertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2018, 10:46 PM   #5
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default I cannot see the pix.

I am not going to get a google account to see them either. I don't need them anyway, I have 3 or 4 pair of the plates in the shop. Anyway I think Marshalls idea may work after all. I have got a pretty clean mock up going. PM me so I can give you my email. I no longer put pix up on here since the sleeze balls @ photobucket decided to lock up my account to try to extort 400.00 a year to continue posting pix on skatelogforum.

So PM me and we can talk about this via email.