S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old June 10th, 2018, 06:12 AM   #1
ValerieAnne

Default Carrying Bag?

Sorry if this is incorrect or a topic exists. I searched and nothing came up (unless i didn't use the right key words). I am wondering if what bags you carry your skates and gear in(if you do)? I am looking for a storage/travel bag that would fit my inline skates (size 6, or 7 (I may have to return for the larger size) woman's skate, knee pads and wrist pads (when I get them, hoping to be on the thinner/less bulky side). I'd also like to be able to store clothing (I use packing cubes, if needed) for a few days..

I'd like to take my stakes on trips with me, and I travel pretty light (personal item or carry on only, as I only travel by cheap airlines or greyhound, unless with family).

Thanks!
ValerieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2018, 03:49 PM   #2
jotson

I just use a duffle bag. Nothing special.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2018, 12:57 AM   #3
ValerieAnne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotson View Post
I just use a duffle bag. Nothing special.
Thanks. For some reason, never thought of that. Just gotta see if any of the bags I have fit Frontier/Greyhound standards and fit my skates/pads and weekend worth of clothes.
Old June 11th, 2018, 03:36 AM   #4
BPTS
I made your Mom blush....

I use a cheapie daypack.
Old June 13th, 2018, 12:17 AM   #5
JandKLarson

We both use Transpack bags, and have for a number of years. We prefer these to other skate bags, where your skates hang on the outside of the bag. Search on Amazon for Transpack ski boot bag. The bags are the same, whether labelled in the search as skate or ski boot bag. If you find one you like, you can do a google search and search for a lower price than Amazon has. My current one I wanted in a particular color and was able to get it cheaper from a ski shop online than from Amazon. There are some models that have larger inner compartment areas. My current one is the XTW model, my husband's is an old TRV Pro model. These are good for travel too and we have taken our speed skates on planes in these bags with no issues.

Several teammates have now gone to this style of "trolley bags." This one from Luigino, the backpack in the front zips off separately from the rolling bag.

http://nettracing.com/htm/bags/2018_...rolley_Bag.htm

You'll see some other skate bags on the nettracing site as well. Good luck!!
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 01:46 AM   #6
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I use a 21Ē rolling duffle with a zippered lower section that I put my skates in. The upper section fits my helmet, gloves, and all of those other skate stuff and clothing.

http://www.athalonsportgear.com/stor..._-_%23882.html

I found it for much less on eBay and I think eBags sells it as well.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 05:26 AM   #7
ValerieAnne

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will look at those options. I chose the ROLLERBLADE Logo Skate Bag, as it was only $20.. figured if nothing else it'll keep my equipment and skates organized/together (hopefully) even here at the house. Maybe get another (like one of those mentioned) for traveling, as all the bags I have, my skates will fit (with the protective gear, minus helmet), but then I wouldn't have enough room for anything else, if I'm lucky, I'd get a lightweight jacket in the bags with it.

Plus, I kind of like the idea of having the skates separated into different compartments (the rollerblade looks like one compartment). This way I'll have something and can research until I find another that will fit me needs (if needed). So now I have a lot of options to look into.
Old June 15th, 2018, 03:18 PM   #8
BigFoot

Reusable grocery bag, the kind with a shiny, laminated material, side pocket for skating paraphernalia, and is slightly larger than the standard size. Mine has a picture of Sponge Bob Square Pants on both sides (bonus!).

Getting the right size is important. You'll find a good selection at your local thrift store, and at a cheap price.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2018, 02:21 PM   #9
Derrick

Default Old Laptop bag with wheels and a handle

Laptops were once a lot bigger. The bags from back then are useless for laptops. Unless you put the rest of your luggage in with them.
Old June 21st, 2018, 02:12 AM   #10
fierocious1

Default carry on bag

works well. I used one for about 3 years. It will hold extra stuff too.
Old June 26th, 2018, 11:10 AM   #11
DarrenVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieAnne View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will look at those options. I chose the ROLLERBLADE Logo Skate Bag, as it was only $20.. figured if nothing else it'll keep my equipment and skates organized/together (hopefully) even here at the house. Maybe get another (like one of those mentioned) for traveling, as all the bags I have, my skates will fit (with the protective gear, minus helmet), but then I wouldn't have enough room for anything else, if I'm lucky, I'd get a lightweight jacket in the bags with it.

Plus, I kind of like the idea of having the skates separated into different compartments (the rollerblade looks like one compartment). This way I'll have something and can research until I find another that will fit me needs (if needed). So now I have a lot of options to look into.
Just a little advice, donít leave your skates in the bag for long periods with sweaty skate pads. It will cause your skate bearings to go rusty. A good few hours of sunlight will dry and sanitise your pads. Also a spray bottle with a solution of white vinegar and water and sprayed on the pads also stops the pads from smelling bad. It kills the bacteria that causes the bad smel.
I always leave my skate bag un zipped if Iím not using them for a few days. Never l ave your skates in your car if you have one. The only extreme temperature changes cause condensation and can also cause the glues used in skates to melt if itís hot, causing all sorts of problems
DarrenVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2018, 02:52 AM   #12
ValerieAnne

Thanks so much, I keep the pads in the side pocket (and I spray it with "exercise equipment spray (not sure what it's called)". It came in one of my monthly mystery boxes, mostly for things that can't be washed (yoga mats, etc).. so I spray them with that, let them air out and still keep them in the side pocket. I also spray the helmet with the spray. That's a great idea for how to make my own spray though - as I don't know what's in the spray I have since it was in the box I received, lol.. so will be nice to make my own when it's gone.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 04:55 PM   #13
DarrenVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieAnne View Post
Thanks so much, I keep the pads in the side pocket (and I spray it with "exercise equipment spray (not sure what it's called)". It came in one of my monthly mystery boxes, mostly for things that can't be washed (yoga mats, etc).. so I spray them with that, let them air out and still keep them in the side pocket. I also spray the helmet with the spray. That's a great idea for how to make my own spray though - as I don't know what's in the spray I have since it was in the box I received, lol.. so will be nice to make my own when it's gone.
A spray bottle from Walmart and a bottle of white vinegar is also way cheaper than some of those spray cans
Old July 4th, 2018, 09:45 PM   #14
BPTS
I made your Mom blush....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenVS View Post
A spray bottle from Walmart and a bottle of white vinegar is also way cheaper than some of those spray cans
Pulling the insoles and letting your skates air out after a session is even cheaper.
Old July 8th, 2018, 07:21 AM   #15
campingnut

Quote:
What ratio do you use?
campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2018, 02:09 PM   #16
DarrenVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingnut View Post
What ratio do you use?
I donít measure it exactly. Just enough vinegar to make the water have a slight smell of vinegar. I only use a small spray bottle that holds about 250ml of water
Old July 9th, 2018, 03:50 AM   #17
campingnut

Thanks. Iím going to try the vinegar between washes.
campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2018, 09:08 PM   #18
DarrenVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingnut View Post
Thanks. Iím going to try the vinegar between washes.
When itís hot and sunny I put my wrist guards and knees pads outside on the washing line. The UV kills of all the smelly bacteria. The vinegar solution is great during the winter. It seems to do the trick whatever the weather though
Old August 2nd, 2018, 06:23 PM   #19
shesk8

Unhappy

I've been using an inexpensive mesh duffel bag for decades.

though, this looks like a more durable bag....

+1 for Darren's recommendation to keep skates fresh. As alternate try tea tree oil and with hazel with water(make a home brew in a spray bottle), which is naturally antibacterial anti-fungal, and imo smells better than vinegar.

We are down to our last few bottles of Notorious Red, a proprietary blend of tea tree, peppermint, witch hazel and other essential oils. This stuff works and smells awesome! The company has stopped production so be sure to get your hands on some to keep those skates smelling fresh.
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 07:11 PM   #20
ValerieAnne

Quote:
I was only using that spray as it came in the box, it's not something I'd normally purchase. Thanks for all the ideas/recommendations on how to clean them out as well

I really like that mesh bag, looks nice! And.. Air! lol