S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old May 20th, 2018, 07:02 AM   #1
sdcopp

Default Introduction and need of some advice

Hello everyone, new to the forum. I haven't been on quads in roughly 20 yrs, but looking to get back into some soon. I've skated in the various Skate City facilities around Colorado Springs since I was five, and have played inline hockey at the rinks and Xfinity Arena since high school. After a five year hiatus from hockey due to a bad shoulder separation and a worse marriage I finally found my way back on wheels. With the new adult night running and skating coming back it's time to broaden my skate collection back into good quads.

I had a pair of Riedell 595s and Invader plates in the late nineties before going solely to hockey, but I don't recall the boots fitting amazingly. I'm currently looking into either semi-custom Bont Hybrid Carbon or Protege boots or Mota Carbons. I have a tough enough time with hockey skates where I know how the different brands fit, so I'm at a loss for which quad boots will work out reasonably well for my foot shape.

I have an average heel, wide forefoot and med-high volume needs, or Hobbit feet. If anyone can throw me some suggestions or direction I'd greatly appreciate it.
sdcopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2018, 08:38 AM   #2
larryoracing

Smile My suggestion.

I'm known at the rink to have a lot of skates. I own 13 pairs. Probably 10,000 dollars worth of skates.

I have many Roll Line Plates, top end and very expensive and about 30 sets of wheels and of course many sets of bearings. Many high end...some more expensive than some roller skating boots...lol!

The bests boots in the world are Berry Boots. They are from Argentina, expensive and made from cows, grass fed.

Whenever I show my boots to people, they go "WOW!", those are a nice set of boots.

Since you own a set of Reidell 595's you are use to paying top dollar for equipment.

I personally wear a Berry Boot, Dance boot.

And a Berry Boot, "Touch" boot, for "Figures and Freestyle"

There website is www.berryskates.com

There phone number is 1-347-927-3030.

Talk to Patricia. Say "Larry sent you...lol!

Good Luck and welcome back.

I skate about 6 days a week anywhere from 4-6 hours per day.

Sincerely,

Larry B. Otani
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2018, 03:17 PM   #3
amohrfeld

You might be a good candidate for the Solaris if your heel will fit.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2018, 07:12 PM   #4
sdcopp

I appreciate the suggestions from both of you, thank you for that.

I am really wanting to find a carbon fiber base boot though which is what has lead me to the Mota and Bont offerings. I'm currently around 230 lbs and even once I get trimmed down from skating more often and generally being more active I'll still be 205-210 so a super solid boot and outsole/base is high on my list.

I see the Solaris has some mystery composite midsole/outsole, looks like TPU of some fashion. I just recently warrantied a pair of hockey skates with a similar type of outsole due to it flexing and rubbing wheels after just a couple skates so I'm a little leery.
Old May 21st, 2018, 12:28 PM   #5
The Rebel
Taking it back old school

Default Ask the Doc

Check out Doc's thread. He's our resident skate guru and a wealth of knowledge. He'll give you an honest opinion of what he'd recommend for you.

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...splay.php?f=44
Old May 21st, 2018, 08:44 PM   #6
netplaceus
David

You will find a lot of valuable advice here, but in the end no one can tell you what boot will work best for your feet. I have found a Riedell boot size 11 "X" are too narrow in the toe box for me, while a Riedell boot size 11 "Y" feels great. Unfortunately just because you want XYZ boot, does not mean XYZ will fit your foot well. It's just the way it is. Been there, made that mistake before.

Avoid ordering boots online if you can, you will almost always pay more and there are rarely returnable as opposed to a shop. Whereas a proshop will do everything they can to make sure the boot you ordered is going to fit.

If you are lucky there is a decent proshop in your area and you can try on a few or at least see what they look like and how they are made. Good luck!
Old May 21st, 2018, 09:00 PM   #7
sdcopp

Thanks Rebel for pointing me that direction, I have posted the question for Doc

I know the struggle of online advice David, I've been on the giving end of it for hockey skates for a long time. When it comes to that realm the manufacturers all have general fit guidelines I'm hoping to find mirrored by the quad boot manufacturers.

All of my local shops are RC Sports dealers so online is cheaper to significantly cheaper depending on the item. My IWin membership at InlineWarehouse also applies to DerbyWarehouse so there's some benefits there for free return shipping and such, but they don't carry everything I'm looking at. I'm hoping to narrow my field of choices some before I start throwing money at it.
Old June 1st, 2018, 07:59 PM   #8
hoohoorjoo

Cool Ditto that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
You might be a good candidate for the Solaris if your heel will fit.
I absolutely LOVE the way my Solaris boots fit. Your description of your foot is very similar to mine- wide up front. The Solaris is made of Kanga tan leather and it is glove-soft. I had zero break-in time and didn't even heat-mold it. I can't even begin to tell you how much improvement there is from the 595 I used to skate as a teen. And did I say how much I like my Solaris boots?
hoohoorjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2018, 04:13 AM   #9
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

I nearly choked on my weeties.....
Kanga tan ya say....
I had to look it up.
Sourced from the USA it said.....
I doubt it....
Old June 2nd, 2018, 02:30 PM   #10
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Since someone mentioned Doc, I'll also throw an endorsement his way. I worked with him to get my most recent quad setup and he saved me quite a bit of money. I went with a MyBonts Hybrid Carbon. It's custom colors and wide width. Bont will also make a semi-custom boot using a tracing of your foot. For comparison, my feet have a wide, squarish toebox, which is why I went with the wide width. I also have had to have full custom inline speed skate boots made, because shelf boots just haven't been able to fit my feet.

My plates are Snyder Advantage, which aren't for everyone, due to the steep kingpin angle. Quite a few skaters like a 45 degree, which gives you more pivoting, which is better for derby and speed skating, as the pivot allows the wheels to stay flat on the floor longer during each push. Plates like the Advantage, Pro-Lines, and most of the Roll-Lines are 5-15 degrees and are more suited for shuffle or jam skating. (Your mileage may vary on these opinions.)

That said, if you lean toward the Bont boots, Doc's your man. But he doesn't work with Mota often (not sure if all). He works with you every step of the way, from what you want, to mounting preferences, to upgrading the stock suspension on the plates for better performance, usually at better cost than you can if you go it alone. It takes a little longer, because there are back and forth communication involved, but in the end, you will have a better pair of skates and have more fun on them. Because face it, if they're not comfortable, how long will you stay out in the floor?
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2018, 04:48 AM   #11
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

I'm sorry but 45s are not intended for speed skating....
You can but it aint no speed plate.
Boen proline rogue ultimate 4 wip .These are speed plates 5

The words derby and speed skating shouldn't be in the same sentence.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 05:04 PM   #12
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post
I'm sorry but 45s are not intended for speed skating....
You can but it aint no speed plate.
Boen proline rogue ultimate 4 wip .These are speed plates 5

The words derby and speed skating shouldn't be in the same sentence.
Lmao, ain't that the truth.

I got a real 45deg plate(arius), but it's a totally different animal. I'll race anyone with it lol.

45 deg plates probably have a tendency to upset the weight balances easier than 5 deg plates. Stability ya know.

@OP

Arius plates are a good plate if you want something 100% predictable. The turn vs lean does not really change when compared to traditional kingpin quad skates. It's also a much more direct link with the floor.

The bad side is if you want it to last, it needs modification, but just small stuff, nothing big.
Old June 5th, 2018, 12:26 PM   #13
fierocious1

Default Hard to find parts for older 45 speed plates.

Actually there are plenty of 45 degree speed plates out there. The older 45 degree speed plates were Single Action. DA conversion kits allow broader tuning capabilities. Learning to tune them after converting to DA instead of fighting the original SA setup.
That being said, a lot of time can be spent getting things working to your exact specifications, but also they can be tuned to your talent level. If you are racing only, there are plates that are built for speed. IF you are session skating, not just speed, you need a plate that can do all that you want. DA 45s would be my choice.
My plates are my own design, I don't build for anyone else. They have a very broad tuning range to accommodate just about anyones taste. The setup can be duplicated on an almost stock plate with a couple of changes. Speed plates will not let you have the range of tuneablility that the DA 45 has.
[IMG]Closeup of truck setup. by fierocious1, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Total setup. R2 Powerslide inline boot mounted on a quad plate with 195mm mounting points. Overlength cones, DA45 flips overlength kingpins. White Shaman wheels. by fierocious1, on Flickr[/IMG]

This setup is finalized. I have had no need to change anything on these plates in app a year now. They work well for session skates and speed.