S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old September 11th, 2019, 06:09 PM   #1
BretMan

Default “United Skates”: A Roller Skating Documentary Film

So, I tried to search the forum and see if anything had been posted about this, but didn’t find anything. Kind of surprising...you would think that a major documentary film about roller skating would get a mention on a roller skating forum!

Check it out...https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/united-skates
BretMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 08:20 PM   #2
wyodinosaur

I watched that documentary. It was interesting. And I noted how they gave Moonlight Rollerway some bad publicity.
wyodinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 08:58 AM   #3
Oicusk82huh

The women that made the film made some of the best Kick-Starter videos ever on roller skating. They were on Youtube on a channel called Sweet-Ninja Films. They followed some of the best rhythm skaters in the country and highlighted their talents in short videos.

As soon as the Movie came out, all of the Kick-Starter videos were removed from public view. The movie was good in that demonstrated the impact of closing-rinks, however... the Kick-Starters were SOOOOOOOOO much better than the movie.

I think that that's the reason people felt a little "let down" by the movie. We all expected the same level of awe. I personally liked it but was underwhelmed. I really wish we knew why they got rid of the Kick-Starters, or wished they had utilized them in the movie.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 04:14 PM   #4
BretMan

That’s interesting! I didn’t know about the Kick-Starter videos and would like to have seen them. I liked the United Skates film because I felt like I’d lived part of it. It was like a documentary of my misspent youth!
BretMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 04:14 PM   #5
Tislord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
The women that made the film made some of the best Kick-Starter videos ever on roller skating. They were on Youtube on a channel called Sweet-Ninja Films. They followed some of the best rhythm skaters in the country and highlighted their talents in short videos.

As soon as the Movie came out, all of the Kick-Starter videos were removed from public view. The movie was good in that demonstrated the impact of closing-rinks, however... the Kick-Starters were SOOOOOOOOO much better than the movie.

I think that that's the reason people felt a little "let down" by the movie. We all expected the same level of awe. I personally liked it but was underwhelmed. I really wish we knew why they got rid of the Kick-Starters, or wished they had utilized them in the movie.
Did anyone download and preserve these videos and would like to share I am sure others would love to see them as well as myself.
Tislord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2019, 03:25 AM   #6
Waywardwheels

Default Found the extra videos from the kickstarter

Looks like they put some extra stuff here-

https://vimeo.com/88303548

https://vimeo.com/unitedskates

I really want to watch the film but can't because I'm in Australia. I did contact them about making it available on amazon or google play etc but they have no plans for that just yet. Suppose they have an exclusive deal wěth hbo :-(

Last edited by Waywardwheels; November 5th, 2019 at 09:09 AM.
Waywardwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 07:44 AM   #7
Oicusk82huh

Default YO!

Good looking out!!!!! The second link had several of the videos. I wish they had posted more to vimeo, but that's okay. Any chance you could find the one that started out with the James Blake song Retrograde???
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2019, 11:50 PM   #8
40yearslater

I really like Tyrone Dixon's earlier documentary.
Available streaming on iTunes and Amazon as well as DVD (U.S. format)
http://www.8wheelsdoc.com/

Bianca Chase has a great Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/deedeec1

As does Linwood D. Neverson
https://www.youtube.com/user/linwood...able_polymer=1
40yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote