S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old January 11th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #101
Drew24

Noone in Tampa!? =(
Drew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #102
gbo
once faster than a wocket

a whole contingent.

click on the Tampa in my previous link.
gbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #103
Drew24

Hmm silly me for not feeling the need to click that link, since it sounded like you were being serious =P
Old January 12th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #104
gbo
once faster than a wocket

Default backatcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew24 View Post
Hmm silly me for not feeling the need to click that link, since it sounded like you were being serious =P

my bad. Funky day at work. Went in expecting to have to be mildly insubordinate to my temporary boss and instead got a pat on the back and didn't have to open my mouth. Weird.

I hope you can hook up with the Tampa group and share the tales with us.

Geri

(It's tempting to tell you that they're a nasty crowd and the last person we recommended to them hasn't been seen or heard from since. But, that wouldn't be true and I don't want you sticking your tongue out at me anymore. )
gbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #105
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Hi Drew, nice to meet you.

I don't skate on Bayshore anymore because it's too dangerous - the pavement sucks and there are way too many people. As soon as I get out of this awful cast, you can come skate with me at some of the better trails.

Whereabouts in Tampa are you?
Old January 13th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #106
Drew24

Just got off work - Umm, ever heard of Brandon or Riverview? I live in Riverview, but if you don't know where that is, im about 20 minutes south on 75 from USF Campus/Bush Gardens. And nice to meet you too =) Sorry about your accident, hope you get up and skating again soon! I've never actually been down the sidewalks of bayshore, just the streets for a few 5ks, (Gasparilla if you've heard of it). Always thought it would be fun, but I guess not =P.
Old January 14th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #107
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew24 View Post
Just got off work - Umm, ever heard of Brandon or Riverview? I live in Riverview, but if you don't know where that is, im about 20 minutes south on 75 from USF Campus/Bush Gardens. And nice to meet you too =) Sorry about your accident, hope you get up and skating again soon! I've never actually been down the sidewalks of bayshore, just the streets for a few 5ks, (Gasparilla if you've heard of it). Always thought it would be fun, but I guess not =P.
Yes, I know where Riverview is. I live in south Tampa, right near the Air Force Base. I live just a couple of minutes away from Bayshore. Don't get me wrong, skating on Bayshore can be fun, especially for people watching. I run and ride my bike there a lot. It's always entertaining to see all the chicks pretending to work out in their expensive outfits and makeup. I wouldn't mind skating there again, you just have to watch out for the uneven pavement and you can't go very fast. I've fallen off my bike there once, tripped over uneven pavement while I was running and fell (that was really embarrassing), got clotheslined by a dog leash on my skates, and I've had plenty of other close calls.
Old January 14th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #108
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

Jessica, It's good to see you are up to posting again after the accident. Are you over the itchey skin and weakness from the cast and immobility? When I broke my left wrist years ago my fingers were so weak I couldn't even operate the turn signal of the car. Had to somehow manuver my right hand around, or through the steering wheel to get the blinking blinker to work. And the itch! I hope they have some better materials or techniques now that helped you with these problems. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

LezSk8!
Old January 14th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #109
RogueAPBT

Hi all, my name is Cheryl, 37, and live near Tacoma, WA. I skate quads, used to skate outdoors a lot, used to love hills and speed, or on the flat with my dog pulling, but the last few years have been playing more at the rink, mostly just sessions, and trying to learn to dance just for fun and exercise. Mostly, my friends and I fool around in the middle trying to come up with new fun dance steps and routines that everyone can do.

My son is 10 and he had been skating inlines and then tried speed, but I got him a pair of quads about 6 months ago. Since he got those, the speed skates have been collecting dust, and all he wants to do is dance. He can do some amazing stuff, being made (apparently) entirely of rubber bands, so of course I trip him any chance I get..the punk! He just likes to dance and makes up his own moves, so he's having a lot of fun with it.

We go about 3-4 days a week to the rink. I did buy some outdoor wheels, so if I get brave I will try skating outdoors again this summer.
RogueAPBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #110
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
I've fallen off my bike there once, tripped over uneven pavement while I was running and fell (that was really embarrassing), got clotheslined by a dog leash on my skates, and I've had plenty of other close calls.
Is that how you train for superb agility?
buzzinghornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #111
Drew24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
I've fallen off my bike there once, tripped over uneven pavement while I was running and fell (that was really embarrassing), got clotheslined by a dog leash on my skates, and I've had plenty of other close calls.
Sounds like a blast lol.
Old January 14th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #112
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LezSk8 View Post
Jessica, It's good to see you are up to posting again after the accident. Are you over the itchey skin and weakness from the cast and immobility? When I broke my left wrist years ago my fingers were so weak I couldn't even operate the turn signal of the car. Had to somehow manuver my right hand around, or through the steering wheel to get the blinking blinker to work. And the itch! I hope they have some better materials or techniques now that helped you with these problems. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

LezSk8!
Ken - I'm actually using dictation software. One handed typing wasn't cutting it for my job. I can't drive at all cuz my car's a stick I don't even have the cast on yet - that comes tomorrow, but even the splint has been horribly itchy. Not looking forward to the cast - it's fiberglass
Old January 14th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #113
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

My name is Steve. I am 32. By trade I am mechanical engineer. Through my career, I have designed equipment to manufacture dog food, designed and built pumps for many commercial application, designed and built valves for use on board navy ships and in nuclear reactors, currently I work for a company that designs lifting devices.

outside of work & skating, my other interests are motorcycles (I have a gsxr 1000 and a Harley), motoring (Mini cooper owner) and animals.

I have been skating since I was about 7 or so. My roller skating career has been off and on through the years. I tried my had at hockey and found it was not for me, as with any sport that involves a ball. For several years, I was involved with speed skating (indoor quad & some inline). But due to time restraints, I was never really competitive, but it was fun. Then for a few years I just skated session. It was a great stress reliever.

Now, my current girlfriend is an artistic skater. She has started me in figures, team dance and creative. I love figures, it is like meditation. Team dance has been quite a challenge since I am not overly coordinated and I never learned how to turn backwards to the left. Luckily she has been very patient with me.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #114
Rai

Name's Rai, live in london, 15 and wanting to get into skating (particularly aggressive skating) because I want to fly.

It's something I've wanted since I was small, and I figured skating is the closest thing to flying on earth, so I have an ambition to skate well.

In addition, Air Gear( a japanese anime) converted me, that is an amazing program.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:03 PM   #115
aussie bogan
skating nubcake

My name is Goran, I'm 19, living in Australia. Just got into agressive skating about a week ago and i'm pretty hopeless but absolutely love the feeling so i'm not giving up.

Other than skating, uni wastes all other precious time, i'm studying Financial Planning and Information Systems. Am completely bored of it and have a year and a half to go before i finish and sign up for the police academy!

I look forward to chatting with you all and have already left some questions in the beginners area
Old January 15th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #116
RogerSP

Hi

My name is Roger and Im from São Paulo, Brasil. Im 25 years-old.

When I was a kid I learned how to skate with a white leather boot quadskate. In 1994 I had my first in-line experience. In 1995 I've bought a Bravoblade GL. In 2002 a Salomon TR Racing.

I stopped skating for a while. Only 2 weeks ago I've started again.

Im skating with the Salomon 5 wheels, 80mm, 82A, 326mm titanium frame. But I think Im not into racing, though I find the in-line racing skates design the best. I want to slalom, so Im buying some new bearings/wheels for my Bravoblade and I'll start training.

I think thats all! Any questions, just ask!

Last edited by RogerSP; January 24th, 2007 at 12:39 AM.
RogerSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #117
AzulojasATL
Tae Kwon Dad

I'm Mark in West Atlanta
age 43 (20 points greater than my IQ according to my mother-in-lawsuit)
Married 20 years! GREATEST SALE I EVER MADE!
1 daughter
1 pair of skates with 2 pairs of wheels. Burn through a set about 2wice a year. First started skating at age 7ish?
Other hobbies USCDKA TKD (that's Tae Kwon Do) USCDKA.COM
Skating strengthens lower legs and improves balance for above!
2 dogs
Percy Pork Plate (1/2 boston terrier 1/2 pug)
Petey Pot Pie (100% Psycho Boston)

We almost universally skate as a family activity. Why skate alone when you can take the people you love and they can use their cell phones to call 911 when you fall and break your ______________ (insert favorite injury here)

I am thrilled to find skatelog, and Kathie, who and wherever you are, thank you for a great site to meet, mingle and learn. I have benefited greatly already and hope all of the rest of you have.

I have to stop typing now and...

Last edited by AzulojasATL; January 21st, 2007 at 11:48 PM.
AzulojasATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 02:54 PM   #118
Gaius
Galactic tread skater

Ok, here goes.
Just now returning to inline after a 6 year abscence, I'm a early-...err mid 40's male in Charlotte NC. Began ice skating growing up in the northeast as a kid, moved south after high school and never skated again untill the early '90's in various pairs of Rollerblade hard boots, then K2's 'till about 2001 when divorce, my job, kids etc put skating on the back burner, then eventually on the shelf. Now it's time to get into better shape so here I go. Got the kids skating again too (my son isfast, or I'm a helluva lot slower than I think). My 2000 or so K2 VO2 max's are still in great shape, the most comfortable skate I've ever been on, but I am looking to upgrade. Looking at the newer model VO2 max/Moto 90 and the K2 Radical 90. Just too bad there aren't many good places to skate in this area (Freedom park is good, but at almost 30 miles away not always practical). My neighborhood has WAY too many hills. (Not ready for warp speed yet).
Really glad I found this place, alot of questions I've had have been answered just by browsing these threads. Seems to be a cool community.
Gaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 05:13 PM   #119
kelvis97

Post Hi All

My name is Kevin Duggan,
I skate in Massachusetts on rail trails,
usually Minuteman Trail in Bedford Mass.
or Nashua River Rail Trail in Pepperell,MA

I have three pairs of Salomons,
two five wheel, Pilot Pros

Just bought a pair of Pilot V Pro 100mm,
which should be showing up soon.

Kevin

http://www.kevsblues.com

online portfolio:
http://www.duggan.tv

http://www.myspace.com/45424920

http://searchscience.blogspot.com/
kelvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 06:28 PM   #120
ItsNot2L8

I'm Shelly, early 40s, Tennessee. Sometimes skated for fun (ice and roller) in high school, tried inline when DD was young but got cheap skates, won't ever make that mistake again. Recently started skating with my German Shepherd, great exercise for us both. Currently using DH's inline hockey skates which were much too small for him but fit me quite well, but they have no brakes. Not a problem on my own, but 100 lb dog on leash adds a whole new dimension, so we're staying on level ground close to home until Fedex brings my Skorpion urban street skates.
ItsNot2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote