S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old February 28th, 2016, 02:02 PM   #101
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassus View Post
My wrist guards have saved me from getting my wrists broken at least six times, the last being about three weeks ago. I won't go out on the floor without them and neither will DD. I've also finally convinced one other female in my group to start wearing them after she fractured one in what seemed like an easy fall. My aunt (who only skates once in a while) wears them now too at my insistence.

I don't care if they make me "look" uncool or foolish; they don't get in the way, and they don't impede me in any way, including couples skating (in fact, just last night DD and I skated couples/backwards with me leading and we both had our guards on).
The wrist guards are very comfortable at this point. Saved my wrists countless times.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 03:11 PM   #102
Kassus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
The wrist guards are very comfortable at this point. Saved my wrists countless times.
Same. I don't even really notice I'm wearing them anymore. I've worn them almost the entire time I've returned to skating (5 years this summer) and now it is second nature. I'll need new ones soon, though... I've worn these out so much that the plastic shell part is starting to wear the covering thin. I'm surprised they have lasted this long, but the quality of them has proven themselves (they're 187's).
Kassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 08:38 PM   #103
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySk8ter View Post

Maybe not as exciting as a new car...
WAAAAY more exciting than a new car. See my signature line
Old March 13th, 2016, 03:22 PM   #104
Derrick

Quote:
Floor was just WILD last night. One of the two regular guards was out on vacation so it was just the one guard last night and there were just too many people for him to control. People were just skating wild and running into people and falling everywhere because they were getting wrecked.

An out-of-state acquaintance of mine from out-of-state showed up last night; he's a good jam skater but he should be relegated to skating by himself! He made the attempt to get in line several times with me and/or SF#2 and my other female friend that comes occasionally. His feet were all over the place and SF#2 and I both told him to ease up because he kept locking wheels with us!

Finally SF#2 and I just ended up doing our thing of slicing through the packs and of course we got called out on it like... instantly by the manager. Was worth it.

Made some tentative plans with all of the above to go one state away soon and skate there; that rink has a wood floor ("one state away" isn't much of a stretch; the state line is like 10 miles away and the city in question is about half an hour drive from here... just got to coordinate everyone's schedules).
Yea, at some point in such sessions I just designate myself honary floor guard. I'm 50 and get a touch of repect just for being old. I mean ancient to the kids under 20.

I like visiting rinks as well. I'm in northern Indiana, your in southern right? April 16th I'll be in KY. I planning on taking an extra day somewhere to visit a rink that weekend. I can't recall if you mentioned the name of your local rink. But a visit to memebers local rinks sounds awsome.

We did a meet up in OH, but me being scheduling challenged, missed the main event. But I did get to meet Mort, that was cool.

So, if anyone can get to southern IN or northern KY the weekend of the 16th let me know.
Old March 13th, 2016, 04:21 PM   #105
Kassus

Quote:
Yea, at some point in such sessions I just designate myself honary floor guard. I'm 50 and get a touch of repect just for being old. I mean ancient to the kids under 20.

I like visiting rinks as well. I'm in northern Indiana, your in southern right? April 16th I'll be in KY. I planning on taking an extra day somewhere to visit a rink that weekend. I can't recall if you mentioned the name of your local rink. But a visit to memebers local rinks sounds awsome.

We did a meet up in OH, but me being scheduling challenged, missed the main event. But I did get to meet Mort, that was cool.

So, if anyone can get to southern IN or northern KY the weekend of the 16th let me know.
Haha... I know exactly what you mean. I'm 45 and a lot of the kids give me the same courtesy due to my age. There are a few that don't, but they either usually are in trouble with the guards anyway for going too fast (and end up in the manager's office) or they almost get collected - there's one there that I really can't stand (he's maybe 16 or 17) and Friday night he was doing spins and stupid stuff RIGHT by the on-ramp and I must have shouted "Outside!" to him about 4 times before he finally figured it out and got out of the way just in time... I really had nowhere else to go and if he hadn't moved there would have been a wreck - there was no way that I could have stopped in time based on his trajectory.

Anyway, I'm actually in western Indiana - I skate at Terre Haute Skate World; it's right off the interstate behind the mall.
Old March 14th, 2016, 08:18 PM   #106
Derrick

Quote:
Haha... I know exactly what you mean. I'm 45 and a lot of the kids give me the same courtesy due to my age. There are a few that don't, but they either usually are in trouble with the guards anyway for going too fast (and end up in the manager's office) or they almost get collected - there's one there that I really can't stand (he's maybe 16 or 17) and Friday night he was doing spins and stupid stuff RIGHT by the on-ramp and I must have shouted "Outside!" to him about 4 times before he finally figured it out and got out of the way just in time... I really had nowhere else to go and if he hadn't moved there would have been a wreck - there was no way that I could have stopped in time based on his trajectory.

Anyway, I'm actually in western Indiana - I skate at Terre Haute Skate World; it's right off the interstate behind the mall.

Darn I'll be on the east side of IN or west side of OH. Depends on the route I choose. Looks like I'll go right through Dayton again. Anyone for another meet up in that area? I can probalby do a friday night.
Old March 15th, 2016, 12:43 AM   #107
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Ever visit Michigan?

Quote:
I like visiting rinks as well. I'm in northern Indiana...
You live close to area where I grew up(Michigan, Indiana, Ohio tristate area). I would skate at a Ft Wayne rink many years ago, but the closest rink was in Hillsdale Michigan(about 18 miles to the Indiana state line).

I visited Hillsdale a couple of years ago(did not have skates). Looked at the rink and it seems to be doing fairly well. Of course, a few more miles north in Jackson Michigan there are several more rinks.

I don't wander too far from home in San Antonio Texas any more. But I know it is fun visiting other unfamiliar areas and discovering the rinks and associating with their skaters. Keep on keeping on!

Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 11:58 AM   #108
Derrick

Quote:
You live close to area where I grew up(Michigan, Indiana, Ohio tristate area). I would skate at a Ft Wayne rink many years ago, but the closest rink was in Hillsdale Michigan(about 18 miles to the Indiana state line).

I visited Hillsdale a couple of years ago(did not have skates). Looked at the rink and it seems to be doing fairly well. Of course, a few more miles north in Jackson Michigan there are several more rinks.

I don't wander too far from home in San Antonio Texas any more. But I know it is fun visiting other unfamiliar areas and discovering the rinks and associating with their skaters. Keep on keeping on!

Keep rollin
I'm going on our anual bike camping ride up Michigan way. Going to hit three states. I'll stop at that rink for sure. But it's been delayed until sept due to a bad tax season.

EDIT Actually, I'll drive up sometime before that. Love to do rink visits.
Old March 19th, 2016, 11:53 AM   #109
Derrick

Default Elvis has left the building

So, I was taking off my skates right beside the Elvis machine, some arcade game that does random Elvis snipits, for who knows shat reason. Well there was a woman their with a young kid. I figure she was about my age so the kid was perhaps a grandson. She made a very odd comment to the young boy, "That man (referring to Elvis) is in the same place you came from." I'm wondering about this staement, when she continues "Yea, he died before I was born". Wait a minute people my age are actually more than 12 years younger than me. I am happy to report that I am much more dillusional than I though. Yea, me.
Old March 24th, 2016, 07:08 PM   #110
Altpensacola

Quote:
..... Wait a minute people my age are actually more than 12 years younger than me. I am happy to report that I am much more dillusional than I though. Yea, me.

Are we delusional? Or are the ones sitting on the benches only watching their grand kids skate? A kid said to me just this Tuesday, "You skate pretty good for an old guy." Then she said "my mom is sitting over there, she said she's too old to do this anymore."
I kind of hope she went over to her mom and said, NO You're NOT!
Old March 31st, 2016, 05:01 PM   #111
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Arthritis improvement

Back on the 4th of March(after using the Willow Curve for about a month), I wrote the following:

Because of the arthritis in the left foot, I had not been able to skate more than a couple of hours twice a week. I needed three or more days between skate sessions for the foot to feel better. But last night was the third session this week. I had skated the night before at the adult Rollercade session. I had also skated more than two hours at each session. The best part is: I was walking normally after the session. During most of the prior six months, I would limp away from a session.

I give most of the credit for the improved situation to the Willow Curve(https://willowcurve.com?gclid=CIXD9J...FZWMaQodk5oG8w) and BC arthritis strength powder(http://www.bcpowder.com/pain-relieve...s-pain-relief/). I take the powder in an Ensure just prior to skating. Now this may not work for everybody, but it sure has benefited me. The Ensure covers the taste of the BC powder, provides essential vitamins, and protects the stomach from high levels of aspirin in the BC powder.

Last week I skated four sessions and three were back to back to back. There is the occasional twinge of minor pain, but nothing like it was before. The Willow Curve may be a placebo, but it works for me. It is not an overnight cure. It takes application at least twice a day - every day. Now I can skate an entire session (up to 4 hours).

If arthritis is cramping your style, the Willow Curve may help. They currently have a six month satisfaction guarantee, which allows you to return it for most of your money returned. The following is from their web chat:

Returns are easy, as we honor our 180-day money back guarantee. We are serious about that guarantee and want 100% satisfaction. Your best bet is to keep your Curve for the full 6 month Trial Period and if you are not receiving the results you expected, return only paying shipping. Otherwise if returned prior to the 180 days you also need to pay 18% restocking fee.

So it works for me! Cannot guarantee it will work for you, but definitely is worth a try.

Keep rollin
Old April 2nd, 2016, 06:22 PM   #112
Kassus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altpensacola View Post
Are we delusional? Or are the ones sitting on the benches only watching their grand kids skate? A kid said to me just this Tuesday, "You skate pretty good for an old guy." Then she said "my mom is sitting over there, she said she's too old to do this anymore."
I kind of hope she went over to her mom and said, NO You're NOT!
I get that all the time. Parents/grandparents that are my age at the observer wall; I'll get into a conversation with them and come to find out that they are close to my age or younger!! That's when I drop it on them that I'm 45 and everyone in my crew except two people are also in their 40s (well one will be 40 next month but close enough). They are usually just floored.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 04:39 AM   #113
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Ageless

http://www.rollerskating.com/blog/76...kating+test/21

Congrats Jack Greer!

Keep rollin
Old April 3rd, 2016, 01:16 PM   #114
Altpensacola

Quote:
I get that all the time. Parents/grandparents that are my age at the observer wall; I'll get into a conversation with them and come to find out that they are close to my age or younger!! That's when I drop it on them that I'm 45 and everyone in my crew except two people are also in their 40s (well one will be 40 next month but close enough). They are usually just floored.
I stopped to talk to a bench warmer Thursday, because she looked about my age and was moving to the music and watching earnestly (no electronic handheld addictions) I invited her to get out there, and she made some excuses and then said, maybe another day. That she used to love it. I told her, there may not be another day. She knew what I was saying...... I found out later, that about an hour before the Skate session, a great guy I work with was killed in a car accident by a man that ran a red light.......
Old April 3rd, 2016, 03:36 PM   #115
Kassus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altpensacola View Post
I told her, there may not be another day
Sorry to hear about your coworker but you are exactly right. I'm starting to feel it creep up on me. When I first got back into it five years ago, I'd just go out there. Now I do have to warm up the first few laps. In a four-hour session, I usually devote the first half-hour or so to warming up and loosening up and getting into the rhythm of things. The next 1 hours or so I alternate between doing medium speed laps with a few fast laps (when they play a good song). I'll take a break or two during this period. The last hour or so is when I've finally really loosened up and I'll go faster during this time - most of the younger kids have left, and the floor opens up a bit.

Anyway... my point being that I intend to take advantage of it while I can, for as long as I can.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 05:27 PM   #116
Derrick

Quote:
Awesome post thanks for sharing.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 05:35 PM   #117
Derrick

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your coworker but you are exactly right. I'm starting to feel it creep up on me. When I first got back into it five years ago, I'd just go out there. Now I do have to warm up the first few laps. In a four-hour session, I usually devote the first half-hour or so to warming up and loosening up and getting into the rhythm of things. The next 1 hours or so I alternate between doing medium speed laps with a few fast laps (when they play a good song). I'll take a break or two during this period. The last hour or so is when I've finally really loosened up and I'll go faster during this time - most of the younger kids have left, and the floor opens up a bit.

Anyway... my point being that I intend to take advantage of it while I can, for as long as I can.
Yep, I'm in some sort of pain most of the time. Either my back, hips, or nursing a skinned knee or elbow. Or mostly all of the above, both knees and elbows are currently skiined. Not all from skating, longbiarding and basketball contributes.

Exactly, the pain reminds me of the fun and today is all we have. My Dad was a marathon runner and biked 50 miles on the weekends. Then a car crash into his bicycle. Got rods in his hip. He's still ok at 73 but can't go like he could at 65 before the crash.

I still plan on skating as long as I can. Even when I'm slower and can't jump. It's still super fun. It's as much attitude as anything else.
Old April 5th, 2016, 05:37 PM   #118
Kassus

Quote:
I still plan on skating as long as I can. Even when I'm slower and can't jump. It's still super fun. It's as much attitude as anything else.
^ This. I had a talk with the manager and told him that I hoped to still be skating in 20+ years, even if by then I was just out there doing easy laps. I don't jump now, but I still want to be able to go forwards, backwards, couples, etc. Doing the shuffle/getting through packs now while I can because I suspect when I'm older that won't come to me as easily, if at all.
Old April 8th, 2016, 09:45 PM   #119
LambChopper

I think I'm off rink skating and will just work on my outdoor skills. I've determined cars and hills and the inability to stop are less dangerous than skating with kids who are so awful they look like they're having an epileptic fit on wheels (im not mocking anyone here.)I feared for my safety the whole time. That's just not fun. Maybe I'll go on the once-a-month adult night.

Last edited by LambChopper; April 8th, 2016 at 11:34 PM.
LambChopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 05:26 AM   #120
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambChopper View Post
I think I'm off rink skating and will just work on my outdoor skills....skating with kids...I feared for my safety the whole time.
I haven't skated with kids in a rink since I was a teenager too young to get into adult nights. Terrifying.