S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old May 26th, 2015, 08:03 PM   #81
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default My Lip Crash and Blood all over the Floor vs Derby

Hi ALL,

Haven't skated in a bit due to Yard, a Project indoors and out, and severe Lawn Work. The Time is a killer. Yet I think about skating and my skate stuff all the time. MAybe, Hope upon Hope I will skate tomorrow night. and then hopefully next Thursday at Skateland in Bradford MA

Now my Lip is not fully healed from that face plant I had sometime in April or May, (that I reported on under Session) yet it reminded me of all the Derby Gals I have talked to IN-Person, or On-Line that had far worse and came back to skating.

The bump on the outside of the lip remains and it is getting smaller slowly.
Hey I am 66, I can't expect a 34 yr old gal recovery, so I am half happy.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old May 31st, 2015, 05:04 PM   #82
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Get well soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
...my Lip is not fully healed from that face plant I had...
Sorry to hear you bit it hard. There are just some falls that you can't avoid. Hope you didn't mess with the dental structure. This one gave you a big ouch! But at least it wasn't as embarrassing as the time you split out the seam of your cargo shorts!

Good to know you are not letting this slow down your enthusiasm for the sport. Hope your regulars get to have your company soon. Get well!!!

& keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2015, 01:50 AM   #83
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Skating styles

One benefit of skating family sessions is observing lots of people. I especially like to watch the kids (young kids) because for the most part they are just having fun and not really trying to impress anyone. I attended an afternoon session this Sunday and saw a young lady who was obviously just learning to skate. Her approach to the new task looked like she was tiptoeing each time she moved a leg to put the skate down. Once the skate made contact with the floor she pushed out sideways. So she was well on her way to learning the proper way to propel herself down the rink.

It's always fun to see kids that skate well enough to not fall down every few feet try to keep beat to the music when it is pumping hard. Their hands and arms are often the only thing actually keeping the beat. Sometimes the whole body will vibrate. It's only after they have mastered some aspects of skating that the feet finally join in the beat.

Skating is a great pastime for both young and old. From my perspective, it makes me feel like a kid again. I can still roll and keep up with most. The years melt away and aches are forgotten. The old body seems to come more alive and performs beyond it's normal capability until the skates come off at the end of the session.

Glad to - keep rollin
Old June 29th, 2015, 02:21 AM   #84
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Gray on the Money. AKA(AlsoKnownAs) Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySk8ter View Post
One benefit of skating family sessions is observing lots of people. I especially like to watch the kids (young kids) because for the most part they are just having fun and not really trying to impress anyone. o-o :
Yep it is fun to watch them. In the old days before Skate Mates you could see which ones would learn fast. Skate Mates making money for the owners, has kind of made retards (I know not PC) of some the kids who used to learn fast. I mean I am talking about kids who can not tie their skates, skating well after a few sessions.

What I used to love to do is connect little kid to little kid. They stop paying attention to their feet and just move. Parents too easily can hold a child back from skating whereas a little kid or a slightly older female gets them going.

Anyway Gray, Have not been to skating in awhile. Longest spell in like forever. Thought I would go this weekend and then my wife got a dose of Diverticulitis Saturday morning. Hopefully her only dose of this nasty thing.

For those younger (than Gray and skatingDave) it is more common as you get older and if prone to it and on a low fiber diet. http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disor...topic-overview

Old July 13th, 2015, 03:46 AM   #85
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default New ride

As promised in an earlier thread. Here are the pictures of my new Riedell 595 red line boots mounted to Snyder Royal plates. I already had the bearings and wheels. These were ordered and mounted for me by the Skateland West staff and management( great job Skateland! ).

I told the wife I wanted to get new wheels this year, but she nixed a car. So here is my new ride. Maybe not as exciting as a new car, but at least I don't have monthly payments!

I rolled on these bad boys at Skateland West today. My right foot realized a different feel, but it adjusted and felt comfortable by the time I quit for the day.

Keep rollin
Old July 20th, 2015, 08:57 PM   #86
Derrick

Plastering walls all weekend, no skating. I'm meeeeeelting. Tomorrow night perhaps, hopefully.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 01:09 AM   #87
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Computer Geeks & Skating Freaks

Wallpaper for our computers is something most of us chose because of our individual interests. You have seen in this thread my new skates, but now I have a wallpaper that provokes interest and suggests skating.

It's truly amazing what can be done with the computers and recent software releases. Here is a picture of a toad that lives near my house. He comes out at night and posts himself under my yard light to catch bugs.

Anyway, just another fun way to enjoy this skating hobby.

Keep rollin
Old August 22nd, 2015, 08:02 PM   #88
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Quote from After Session thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassus View Post
nevermind the nasty fall I took on Wednesday - my knee is still purple and black from that one.

I had a knee injury last year. Couldn't even walk on it the day after the accident. But I obtained a compression knee sleeve with a rubber donut covering the knee cap. It enabled me to continue skating while the knee recovered(which took about 5 months).

So, good luck. Hope you heal fast, but do take care of it properly.

keep rollin
Old November 21st, 2015, 02:00 AM   #89
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default It's my Birthday 20Nov1948

Hi All,

Well t;s the end of the day, yet here is my favorite Birthday song.
I am playing it for ME Skating Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25DZs4JuhkQ

When ever it played at Skateland in Haverhill, I would go crazy and fast with spins and stuff. Like a character from a cartoon I was goofy..
It was fun back then more than 8 years ago.

I didn't skate today, yet wanted to on my Birthday. So I will push hard tomorrow and have my Birthday Skate tomorrow.

Good Night ALL,

Old November 21st, 2015, 04:46 AM   #90
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Had a good time at Castle here in Cincinnati.

Burned some damn fast laps out there a couple times. Just wish someone could keep up
Old November 28th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #91
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default I'm back (at least on the way)

I am not able to skate for awhile. Although, I did skate a session last Sunday p.m. with the short people. Why? Well - after skating Sunday, I had to prepare for my thyroid(cancer) removal early Monday morning. As fate would have it, I probably wouldn't have made it to another birthday if there was no surgery.

The HGTV star Tarek El Moussa had something very similar.
http://www.today.com/news/how-hgtv-s...changed-t58226

Mine was an extended operation(about three hours longer than originally anticipated). The thyroid had grown to gi-normus size and the doctor had to fish out lymph nodes too. The doctor says it(cancer) is gone, but I start a radiation therapy in January to be absolutely sure. The original recovery time was estimated to be two weeks, but because I was a difficult case - my recovery time is now set at 4 weeks.

It has been less than a week since skating last, but withdrawal symptoms are already present. It's (skating) an addiction, but a good one!

I'm gonna - Keep Rollin (in 3wks&3days)

p.s. recovery is progressing well. My wife has been a trooper through all this. Guess we will celebrate the 53rd anniversary after all.
Old November 29th, 2015, 04:07 AM   #92
Derrick

Grey8skater looing forward to you next mini-blog post. Wishing you an easy and shirt recovery.

Had a lack lasture friday afternoon; short session. Did work on my waltz-jump; getting better. A but hard to time to the music though. But I felt shaky and off in general. Worked at the rink until mid night after the session. Then I was ill this morning and I was supposed to be cooking a turkey. Finally got the turkey in the ove at noon and I'm feeling a bit better.

Tommorow is skate day, hope I feel better.

Last edited by Derrick; November 29th, 2015 at 12:17 PM. Reason: WOW the sheer number of typos and dyslexia.
Old November 29th, 2015, 11:29 AM   #93
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Stronger each day

Thanks for the well wishes. I am getting stronger as time progresses. Also feeling a lot more like a human and less like a zombie.

You know it's (skating) an addiction when you are less concerned about your health and more concerned with how much skate time you could miss. So, yes we are addicted and we're a bit nuts, but it also delivers lots of health benefits(as long as we pad up to prevent breaks).

Keep rollin (3wks/2days 2go)
Old January 8th, 2016, 03:31 AM   #94
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Killed at RollOnAmerica around Thankgiving 2015

Hi ALL,

First, Good Fortunes Gray and hope you are back soon.

The Saturday (I believe) after Thanksgiving I got major killed on the skate floor. I put on all my junk, (wrist guards, change to shorts, different glasses, etc) and was planning to go half way around the rink and order a personal pan pizza.

I did notice that the floor was kind of crazy with people that do not usually come skating, YET I did not 'THINK'. So I went out on the floor, casually and was immediately knocked down onto my back in a hard THUMP. I mean I was killed almost as soon as I went out on the floor. Some young 20/30s lady did something to knock both skates out from under me. My gosh NEVER had a fall that way, and I would have loved to know how she did it. My guess is long sweeping moves with her quads.

Anyway I was in misery with my back, finally went to the doctor to get scheduled for some Physical Therapy, and started my own stuff with all my own equipment stuff. Again, I was miserable, and getting into and out of bed was painful for longer than one week. The recovery was very very slow to be able to start doing stuff again.

Just started seeing a DPT this week, and am getting to learn new stuff about my back, my general posture and of course older age. Really happy with the young man so far after visit #2. They are booked solid so it took me forever to get in to see them and Emerson Hospital.

Lessons:
1)Pay attention to the floor BEFORE you go Out.
a> As an experienced skater I should have known the weirdos that just
skate funny. Even the one young great blader told me that the floor was
a zoo that night. And, I saw more injuries as I just waited to see how bad
I felt before I gave up and went home.
2)Crash Pads. OK I guess I have to invest in a set.
a> Again NO idea how she knocked me down with only guesses.

Old February 2nd, 2016, 09:06 PM   #95
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Red face A Skating Life has dark Gray, and Shinny Silver Gray

Hi

Hey I used gray in my subtitle. Fun for Gray I hope.

I have learned in life that sometimes errors or big problems have Silver linings. You just have to be attuned to see them and be excited when you see a problem turn into an advantage.

Well PT at Emerson Rehab and Sports Therapies is a good Education on posture and back stuff for an older male or any old older person. We are working my trans abdominal muscles and my upper spine. Plus other stuff with eventually weight machines.

Anyway I am going to end up with keeper for life exercises and PT that will keep me more upright and flexible around the pelvis ilium and ilum crest
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilium_(bone). plus upper spine.

I will add this to my other PT that I have had to postpone for this episode of life in the Life of Skating Dave

SO, Thank Skating for the Fall so that I learned more about my body...

Old February 4th, 2016, 10:10 PM   #96
Kassus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
As an experienced skater I should have known the weirdos that just skate funny.
There was an inline skater at session last night; she'd never been there before but everyone suspects she's from the other rink here in town. She's really aggressive and wouldn't slow down when she was given a friendly warning.

She buzzed me about halfway through the session and my guard friend saw it. Now keep in mind he's usually really laid-back, and great with the little kids, but he nearly blew his stack when she did that. His exact words were "Slow down or you'll be sitting down!", meaning his next move was to put her out on the bench for a 15-minute time-out.

I get buzzed frequently, but she was just skating stupid and he knew it. He will only put people out as a last resort.
Kassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 11:30 PM   #97
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Another Bad Skater Story

Hi Kassus,

THanks for Reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassus View Post
There was an inline skater at session last night; she'd never been there before but everyone suspects she's from the other rink here in town. She's really aggressive and wouldn't slow down when she was given a friendly warning. o - o I get buzzed frequently, but she was just skating stupid and he knew it. He will only put people out as a last resort.
Over at Skateland in Haverhill we had this one skater maybe a morph (you know male to a female, I think) that initially skated very tentatively and was nice and communicative. Yet once this ?? (skater) got better, he/she/? was as aggressive as all get out, and caused problems with other skaters. Just shows you that eventually the problem person comes back out even if going through a gender crisis. I know more, yet that is enough.

In general kid skating I have seen a few worse than the above. One was an ADD Dad with his kids and his parents. He would run out on the floor fall and crash as if the rink belonged to him and then go back to his parents. We ALL, skate guards, good skaters, and management watched that guy. All waiting for what to do next. Happily he left after a bit.

Old February 27th, 2016, 02:21 PM   #98
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Skated mostly by myself. There was a local rink rat and freind who skated occasionally. Mostly they were jumping cones or doing vaguley slolem. So I had the rink. Took the oportunity to get some vid, but I need a new camera and the vid is currently unusable. Wished I would of asked for lights.

Oh yea at the end of this session the derby gals always warm up for 15 minutes or so. The styles of the derby gals and me or so different it's a bit weird to skating during their warm up.

Posted some of the vid despite poor quality. I'm just going to put a new camera on the charge card this week.

http://youtu.be/kjrsQcOpog0

It looks like I improved the waltz just a bit. Better rotation but I'm doing something really weird with the free leg at the end. It seems I do that wierd leg thing on some three turns as well. I played one waltz jump in reverse once, it looked perfect. Try it, it's kind of funny how the start of the jump looks like a perfect landing.

I did improve the IB spin just a smidge too. It's kind of hard to tell though. At least at the end I'm still spinning even if I'm no longer on one foot. It's because I'm set better. Still waaaaay too much hesitation after the mohawk. That's really stealing the power (well, what little there is).

The video looks like it is in slow motion. I don't know if that is a camera setting or I am really that slow.
Old February 28th, 2016, 01:57 AM   #99
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
The video looks like it is in slow motion. I don't know if that is a camera setting or I am really that slow.
Congrats for wearing wrist protection. Many adults don't want to appear in public places with safety equipment. I'm no critic, but your turns seem quite smooth to me. And by the way, who was the child cleaning up the floor after you at the end?

Keep rollin
Old February 28th, 2016, 02:26 AM   #100
Kassus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySk8ter View Post
Congrats for wearing wrist protection. Many adults don't want to appear in public places with safety equipment.
My wrist guards have saved me from getting my wrists broken at least six times, the last being about three weeks ago. I won't go out on the floor without them and neither will DD. I've also finally convinced one other female in my group to start wearing them after she fractured one in what seemed like an easy fall. My aunt (who only skates once in a while) wears them now too at my insistence.

I don't care if they make me "look" uncool or foolish; they don't get in the way, and they don't impede me in any way, including couples skating (in fact, just last night DD and I skated couples/backwards with me leading and we both had our guards on).
Kassus is offline   Reply With Quote