S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old April 22nd, 2015, 02:46 AM   #61
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I think FREE classes to teach BASIC forwards with crossovers, and 2 ways to stop is the way to go. If there is time, some backwards skating and lemons(forwards/backwards movements standing still in place). As I said before, signup sheet must be filled out. Class would be limited to 20 skaters max for 1 instructor. 30 minute classes.

If needed it could be a 30 minuite "free learn to skate" with the price of session. Or you pay for the training and get a free session afterwards.

A base layout website would be easy to make with either links to videos or embedded videos.

Back on skates time soon, might have to do some work
Old April 22nd, 2015, 04:18 PM   #62
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default EZ - Skating Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Back on skates time soon, might have to do some work
Remember to start back slowly and work up to the difficult stuff. 1: Your body is still healing. 2: You haven't skated for quite awhile. 3: Warn the other skaters that "THE BEAST IS BACK"!

Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 11:14 PM   #63
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySk8ter View Post
Remember to start back slowly and work up to the difficult stuff. 1: Your body is still healing. 2: You haven't skated for quite awhile. 3: Warn the other skaters that "THE BEAST IS BACK"!

Keep rollin
Haha. I wont hurt myself.

Oh , and they know! I doubt Ill have to warm up at all. I got kids to keep in line(the crew of kids I skate with)
Old April 27th, 2015, 05:07 AM   #64
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Reply to post in - after session mini-blog

Figured this discussion needed to run it's natural course in this thread instead of the "After Session Mini Blog".

Quote:
Mort's post mentioned the Neville Roller Drome(Doc Sk8's house). So I looked them up on the internet. I looked at their rules and found this one: No use of electronic devices on the floor(e.g. cell phones, iPods, etc.) Why don't all the rinks adopt this rule??? Everyone would be a lot safer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassus View Post
I also wish that they would, but figure that if it isn't enforced and one of them drops their phone and I happen to run over it/it breaks, then lesson learned.
I have seen phones dropped onto the floor, but I sure as heXX(heck) don't want to be the one to run over it. I would fall and bust my whatever. Things just don't heal as quickly now days. So my interest in safety is for self preservation as well as for the safety of other skaters around me. They have a lot of rules common to most all rinks, but some that were not. So here is the rules for the Neville Roller Drome:

General Rules:

Everyone must skate (with the exception of parents/guardians)
No offensive language
Respect all staff
No gum
No sitting or climbing on the walls
Keep all food and beverages in the snack room
No outside food

Skating Rules:

All personal skates need to be checked at the door
No dirty skates
No protruding bolts
Stoppers must be in good repair
No racing (unless it's a race skate)
No playing tag
No rough/unsafe behavior
No use of electronic devices on the floor
(e.g. cell phones, iPods, etc.)
Be considerate to all skaters
Do not carry children while skating
Skate in the correct direction

Attire:

No hats/bandanas/etc. while skating
No pocket chains
No spiked jewelry
No see through clothing
No belly Shirts
No tube tops
No low cut jeans
No daisy duke shorts
No backless shirts
No visible underwear!

I really like these rules. Hope they enforce them! Then everyone can have fun and -

Keep rollin
Old April 28th, 2015, 01:26 AM   #65
Kassus

Quote:
but I sure as heXX(heck) don't want to be the one to run over it. I would fall and bust my whatever. Things just don't heal as quickly now days. So my interest in safety is for self preservation as well as for the safety of other skaters around me.
Oh... I'd probably wreck for sure and bust something up; if there's anything (rocks, glow stick parts, earrings, etc.) out there on the floor, I'm always the one to "find it" and end up eating the floor.

FWIW, I like the rules that you listed. The rink I go to has similar rules, although they are lax on the dress code for the ladies. I get tired of seeing everyone in Daisy Dukes as soon as the temperature gets above freezing.

The other thing I can't stand... kids playing with skate mates. I don't like them anyway, and when I see kids spinning them around and using them as a toy instead of a tool I report it to the floor guard right away.
Kassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2015, 10:38 AM   #66
Derrick

Quote:
The other thing I can't stand... kids playing with skate mates. I don't like them anyway, and when I see kids spinning them around and using them as a toy instead of a tool I report it to the floor guard right away.
I gave up on telling anyone. If the skatemate doesn't have a human mate I take it off the floor myself. If you fling it and I get there first you loose it. And I politely tell you why.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2015, 11:07 PM   #67
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Ultimate Skate Mate Solution

I just go to another rink that does not rent those plastic floor hazards.

Keep rollin

p.s. Rink that rents the hazard does not allow backward skating except for their adult session. So, going elsewhere allows seeing where I've been too!
Old April 29th, 2015, 01:02 PM   #68
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
I gave up on telling anyone. If the skatemate doesn't have a human mate I take it off the floor myself. If you fling it and I get there first you loose it. And I politely tell you why.
Nice.

We have kids throwing worse things, like glow sticks. Things that are much harder to spot. They wont make me fall but others are at risk because of their horseplay. That and stuff they fish out of the claw machine which have a large chance of getting stuck in your wheels. Like beanie babies and other similar stuffed toys or balls.

My new favorite "unofficial" game at the rink is sticking one of those glow sticks in our back pocket/wasteband , then playing keep away. Basically you cannot use your hands to stop anyone from grabbing it. Only skating positioning, direction, speed/stopping etc. The skaters taking it can only grab the item(flag if you would)

Thinking about it now... It is just like "capture the flag" on skates. Freaking awesome fun. Although a bit like tag, but you wont see us cutting people off. Or going against traffic
Old May 3rd, 2015, 01:06 AM   #69
Kassus

Quote:
I just go to another rink that does not rent those plastic floor hazards.

Keep rollin

p.s. Rink that rents the hazard does not allow backward skating except for their adult session. So, going elsewhere allows seeing where I've been too!
Both of the rinks in my town rent them... and both allow backward skating. The only exception to the backward skating is one of the rinks does not allow backward skating during the glow stick skate (it's really a fast skate in disguise).
Old May 3rd, 2015, 01:12 AM   #70
Kassus

Quote:
My new favorite "unofficial" game at the rink is sticking one of those glow sticks in our back pocket/wasteband , then playing keep away. Basically you cannot use your hands to stop anyone from grabbing it. Only skating positioning, direction, speed/stopping etc. The skaters taking it can only grab the item(flag if you would)

Thinking about it now... It is just like "capture the flag" on skates. Freaking awesome fun. Although a bit like tag, but you wont see us cutting people off. Or going against traffic
Sounds like fun. I may have to suggest it to a couple other skaters at my preferred rink that are up for some fun (would also give me a good reason to continue working on my hesitation to weave through people... I know I can do it because I have, but always hesitate at the last second)...
Old May 3rd, 2015, 05:55 AM   #71
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Sounds like fun. I may have to suggest it to a couple other skaters at my preferred rink that are up for some fun (would also give me a good reason to continue working on my hesitation to weave through people... I know I can do it because I have, but always hesitate at the last second)...
Yea, the game can get REALLY intense. When theres 3 people pursuing you and your trying to play keep away... Things get real. It usually requires ridiculously fast transitions in both rotational directions from forwards to backwards and backwards to forwards. Just being fast isn't enough you must be able to flawlessly position your body so that the "flag" is hard to reach. Then you better be able to skate this way. While changing velocity from slow to fast on the fly along with left and right turns. Even with as good as I've gotten its still hard to hold the flag for more than a few minutes if more than 4 people are playing. Though my friends are no slackers either. They're all damn good. It is probably the most challenging game we play aside from suicide, but that's the whole rink.

I hesitate in some instances where I'm unable to read a situation accurately. But if there's enough room to step sideways through on foot, we do it on skates. Usually REALLY fast. Recently watching from the sidelines after my hernia surgery, I got a good impression of how crazy it really looks when we do these moves.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 06:15 AM   #72
Oicusk82huh

That sounds like so much fun. Definitely gonna try that glow stick game.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 11:06 AM   #73
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
That sounds like so much fun. Definitely gonna try that glow stick game.
Remember! No hands! You have to use body positioning and speed/braking/transitions to keep the "flag" away from perusing skaters. Being able to skate backwards here is a huge advantage. I'm fast either way either direction... But those Damon kids that skate with me are fast too. It'll wear Ya out
Old May 5th, 2015, 03:30 PM   #74
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Boot mounted skate board???

In another thread, Mort said the following: ..."im taller 6'1" and 185 lbs, with a super long plate(size 12 plate on a size 10 vanilla freestyle)"... I seem to remember him mentioning previously that he likes a longer axle to axle distance than that recommended by plate manufacturers.

I like a larger plate because I want stability. I don't like falling. I also use the wider (quad race) wheels for the same reason. More wheel on the floor = better stability(just don't click the wheels together). In short: I'm with you Mort. Long plate - maximum platform. Of course, I'm old and slow. How come you need such a long plate?

Keep rollin

p.s. I ordered a new set of skates. Riedell 595 redline boot fastened to Snyder Royal plates(7" axle to axle). Will post pics when they arrive.
Old May 5th, 2015, 06:23 PM   #75
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
In another thread, Mort said the following: ..."im taller 6'1" and 185 lbs, with a super long plate(size 12 plate on a size 10 vanilla freestyle)"... I seem to remember him mentioning previously that he likes a longer axle to axle distance than that recommended by plate manufacturers.

I like a larger plate because I want stability. I don't like falling. I also use the wider (quad race) wheels for the same reason. More wheel on the floor = better stability(just don't click the wheels together). In short: I'm with you Mort. Long plate - maximum platform. Of course, I'm old and slow. How come you need such a long plate?
Keep rollin

p.s. I ordered a new set of skates. Riedell 595 redline boot fastened to Snyder Royal plates(7" axle to axle). Will post pics when they arrive.
Why a long plate? Its faster(carve arcs slower and allows for a harder push without getting squirrelly at high speeds) more stabile, instead of the short forward which people tend to like because the plate is more maneuverable, I MUCH prefer the lateral strength and agility to be possessed by me, not be an effect that my plate has because of its setup. I don't need the plate to turn for me, I can do that myself with footwork. My footwork is faster than the amount of time it takes to roll the action over on a quad skate. Unless its super floppy loose, but then your not going to be going anywhere fast anyways so...

It doesn't matter how fast or hard your plate can turn anyway, if you don't posess the strength and agility for it then its going to outrun your speed and overpower you. This is probably where a lot of broken ankles really come from. The skate is literally too much lateral work for people. Simply put, its the skater, not the skates. I'll go anywhere and put on rentals and make cuts people on da45s would dream about.

When performing hockey stops, a longer wheelbase toward the heel helps to balance out the leverages on the toe of the skate. This is because of where the contact points are in relation to the natural shape of your foot. I was once skating some labeda stilettos, on a dusty floor. The wheels broke loose and hooked up harsh in the front axle just before the rear hooked up. About felt like the wheels were trying to tear my right foot off by pigeon toeing in alot. I was still new to my quad then but I would have imagined the hook up being just that much worse had the rear axle been short forward to Aussie mount. Not to mention if I had a super stiff boot. The vanilla freestyle is pretty forgiving.

Theres a kid I skate with who uses a diamond walker boot on a sure grip century plate(plastic one like a probe plate..) purple cushions cranked WAY down. That skate does not turn but he can make juking moves like crazy and turn sharp any time he wishes. I can out turn him but my plate is also a LOT more pricy and precise than his plate. Just another point of its the lateral prowess of a skater, not the plate. Sure the plate "assists" you but overall when it comes to agility super short plates are seemingly only good for slow turns. And if your going slow anyway, footwork is key.

My view is this. Put the longest plate on you can handle. If its encumbering you. Your not ready for it yet.
Old May 7th, 2015, 03:23 PM   #76
Kassus

Quote:
My view is this. Put the longest plate on you can handle.
I've tried both, and prefer a longer plate as well.
Old May 7th, 2015, 07:15 PM   #77
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
I've tried both, and prefer a longer plate as well.
I suppose if my lateral agility were a lot less, and I was traveling at higher speeds, I may prefer a shorter plate to help. Though I use an Arius, it turns pretty darn well without cushion or truck modifications. After I get a nice CF soled boot I'll know if I really need to modify stuff in that aspect.

What id like to try is a size 10 Arius mounted in the same spot up from with the rear axle moved forward.

Generally speaking though, I find a extra turny setup overkill. I like having a very turny plate as long as I can get it. I believe its ability to turn in as you stride out coupled with a very far forward front axle allows for some very fast quad skating. Inline skaters don't catch me in games at my rink or Neville
Old May 10th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #78
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default New subject: Saturday Night sessions

From the "After Session Mini Blog":

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspeedskater67 View Post
... We were able to hit the Saturday night session... Good hard racing. We did some good shuffle skating. At one point we were 10-12 deep. Always better music during the sat night session too. Another good session in the books.
Saturday night sessions here are pretty much teenage social gatherings. Some rinks even stop skating at one point and then have a sock hop dance. Mom and Dad get a break by dropping their kids off at the rink and the teens like the chance to socialize without parental units being around.

The sessions tend to be quite crowded and it becomes quite difficult to really accomplish any meaningful skating. And since they are teenagers, most are oblivious to anything outside of their realm of interest(girls or friends). They will run over anyone that is slower and/or in their path of travel.

So I avoid the Friday and Saturday evening sessions. I like to skate with the little kids. So I skate family sessions and one adult session each week. Little kids are cute and human. Most teens don't become human again until late twenties.

Keep rollin
Old May 11th, 2015, 07:36 AM   #79
Oicusk82huh

Rules from a few posts back...

What?! Roller rink music is okay at best, but your own music makes it GREAT. It's kind of funny though, seeing everyone dancing to something different. Everyone's in their own world. For some reason you'd expect to see more kids with handheld devices, but it seems that it's the adults with the phones/Ipods. The kids seem to like the roller rink music.

Just an observation. Probably different everywhere.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 12:17 AM   #80
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Music in your ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Rules from a few posts back...

What?! Roller rink music is okay at best, but your own music makes it GREAT.
Usually the music listeners are not fiddling with the device. It is tucked away in a pocket or a holder. So the menace is greatly lessened. But if you attempt to warn a skater with earphones to prevent an accident, forget it. They cannot hear anything but their own music because they have to crank up the volume to override the sound of the rink music. The rink could be on fire and they wouldn't know it until they smelled the smoke or saw the flames. The ear buds can also be a hazard to others if it is dropped. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

The much worse problems occur with the skaters are using their phone to text, talk, or take videos. They become deaf and blind to anything or anyone around them. I'm not advocating prohibition. Just do it off the skating floor. Do it (text, talk, video) behind the rail.

The mantra should be "LET THE SKATERS SKATE".

Keep rollin