S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old August 11th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #1
Skate50

Question How Big a Rocker?

If the "size" of a rocker setup is measured by the difference in wheel size ends-to-middle, (e.g. 76-80-80-76 would be a 4mm rocker), what is the ideal "size" for the best rocker setup?

I wear the ends down on the toe and heel wheels a lot faster than the middle wheels. I don't rotate the wheels from the ends into the center / center onto the ends - I just flip them in place. As a result, through wheel wear, I get a range of rocker sizes.

I start getting fair slalom control with about 2mm and get really slippery at about 7mm. After that, the toes and heels start to loose control.

What might be the best, or standard, rocker setup with a full set of new wheels?

Thanks,
- Skate50
Skate50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #2
dougp

I always start with a 4mm rocker (76-80). And I also find that I wear them into a bigger rocker.

I keep them as a set, and replace them all at once. Some skaters move the worn middle wheels out to the ends, and put new wheels in the middle. But I like them to be about the same profile.

In the last set I replaced, all the wheels were the same brand and model, but two of them were a different color (white vs. clear). I put the white ones in the third spot of each skate. They didn't wear nearly as fast as the clear wheels, and I ended up with a huge rocker that was getting very hard to skate on....

Doug
dougp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #3
KeLLy

I'm comfortable with a 4mm rocker. Nothing bigger.
But i can also slalom on a nearly flat setup - some things become harder then tho.

Btw, turn the wheels now n then, so the profile stays ok. (i don't like it to flat)
KeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #4
stacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skate50 View Post
If the "size" of a rocker setup is measured by the difference in wheel size ends-to-middle, (e.g. 76-80-80-76 would be a 4mm rocker), what is the ideal "size" for the best rocker setup?
The listed wheel size (76mm, 80mm, etc) is the diameter, or end-to-end. End-to-middle would be the radius, or half the wheel size. So when you have a 76/80 rocker set-up on your skates, there is a 4mm difference in size of the skates, but there is effectively a 2mm difference between where the front wheel hits the ground and where the second wheel hits the ground.

Quote:
I wear the ends down on the toe and heel wheels a lot faster than the middle wheels. I don't rotate the wheels from the ends into the center / center onto the ends - I just flip them in place. As a result, through wheel wear, I get a range of rocker sizes.
Many people who go through wheels quickly, or are more diligent about managing their money than I am, make a habit of putting two new wheels in the middle and rotating the used wheels to the outer positions. This is convenient because you only ever have to buy one size of wheels. I have never been that organized.

Quote:
I start getting fair slalom control with about 2mm and get really slippery at about 7mm. After that, the toes and heels start to loose control.

What might be the best, or standard, rocker setup with a full set of new wheels?
As far as I have ever heard, if you are starting with new wheels, the standard rocker set-up is a 4mm difference in wheel size. (generally either 72/76 or 76/80) I don't know if that is because that is the best, or it is just the those are the sizes that wheels tend to come it. I change my wheels when they are looking too worn, or start feeling too extremely rockered. I've never made a scientific study of when that is.
stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #5
Skate50

Stacy,

I guess the "study" part shows the engineer in me.

I like the idea of just buying new wheels for the centers and moving the old centers to the ends. This will work great for my daily workout wheels - I rotate them every day.

My question was anticipating buying an entire set of 8 and choosing two sizes for the initial rocker.

Thanks for the feedback.

- Skate50
Skate50 is offline   Reply With Quote