S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old January 18th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #1
djbwhizz

Default begineer on slalom

Hi guys..

picked up rollerblade again after so long i left it.. bout 7 years ago.. eager to skate again after watched some slalom videos on you tube... im a malaysian.. but currently studying in Auckland, New Zealand.. do wonder.. is there any slalom skater in Auckland or shall i just ask any slalom skater in New Zealand..?

bought a blade.. a recreational one.. rollerblade Geo II, as this is the only that fits in my budget as a student currently. It has 78mm 80A wheels on it. Planned to use this skate first to start learning all the beginner slalom skills. Once i'm good only i would change to a better skate as what you all are using i supposed...

anyway.. would love you all to teach me bits by bits on slaloming. Currently, im just using plastic cups as cones.. and now im practicing normal slalom (forward parallel), forward criss-cross and trying to pick up forward snake as well.. can u all give me some tips on how can i do better in this..

on top of that... can u guys explain to me about the wheels.. i know the ones wif mm is the size.. but i do not know what does the other number stands for.. and then.. what difference does it makes when we use diff types of wheels to slalom..? does it helps us in improving...?

Would love if you guys could help me out ere.. and if there any slalom/freestyle skaters in auckland, New Zealand.. do give me a shout.. would love to come and skate wif u all...

thanx fellas...

djbwhizz signing out...
djbwhizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #2
KeLLy

Bout the wheels...

80A = hardness.

The higher the number, the harder the wheels, the less grip you have and the less they will wear off.
It also depends from brand to brand.

And how hard or soft you like your wheels is down to personal preference. I haven't bothered bout that much yet.

You might wanna try putting a rocker on your skates. It's what people on this board advised me, and it gave me much more flexibility as i was starting slalom on my fitness skates. (bought slalom skates in december).

As for tips and tricks..... here's a few good sites:
especialy the first two are good for beginners. (i think it's best to get the basics on kiwidude down first - and work away that bad foot, then move to 80 cm, munobal has the video's slowed down, very usefull)
www.kiwidude.com/skatetricks.html
www.munobal.net/commu/study_slalom.html
http://www.cskroller.com/
http://www.crazyslalom.com/trickmovie.html
http://skaliweb.free.fr/index.php?id=14

Footgun:
http://vincent.vuvankha.free.fr/engl...un/Footgun.htm
gl !
KeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote