S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old June 17th, 2012, 01:00 AM   #1
ChakaKhan

Default Considering Getting Highs

My current skates are a pair of FR1 2010s, and I've been contemplating moving up a step to Highs. I bought them last year with the intention of slalom, but since at that point I had only been skating for a few months I was weary about getting the Highs.

First, my FR1s are at least 1 size too big (size 39). I knew my skates had to be super tight, and they were - at first. Now I can move my toes around rather easily in them. My feet measure around 245mm, so that means I need a 38. On that note, would 37 be out of the realm of possibility? I'm not sure if that's just too tight or if the break in would just be even longer.

I've also been very curious about a 231 frame. I've read multiple accounts of people liking the step up from 231 to 243, but they never mention how big their feet are. Can anyone with smaller feet weigh in on this?

Finally, how do the High 2010s and 2012s compare? Honestly, I'm more partial of the 2010s aesthetics (and price), but what specifically is new about the 2012s?
ChakaKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #2
GregT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChakaKhan View Post
My current skates are a pair of FR1 2010s, and I've been contemplating moving up a step to Highs. I bought them last year with the intention of slalom, but since at that point I had only been skating for a few months I was weary about getting the Highs.

First, my FR1s are at least 1 size too big (size 39). I knew my skates had to be super tight, and they were - at first. Now I can move my toes around rather easily in them. My feet measure around 245mm, so that means I need a 38. On that note, would 37 be out of the realm of possibility? I'm not sure if that's just too tight or if the break in would just be even longer.

I've also been very curious about a 231 frame. I've read multiple accounts of people liking the step up from 231 to 243, but they never mention how big their feet are. Can anyone with smaller feet weigh in on this?

Finally, how do the High 2010s and 2012s compare? Honestly, I'm more partial of the 2010s aesthetics (and price), but what specifically is new about the 2012s?
If you get Highs, especially for slalom, definitely make sure you don't buy too big. Measure both feet carefully and use the Seba chart for sizing reference. If you are thinking of buying from SkateCrazy.net, you can email Stacy, who is very good at sizing your Sebas based on foot length and any other concerns you might have.

I use the 243 frame and like it. I think your size skate would come with a 231mm frame by default. You could always ask the skate shop if they would swap for a larger frame. They may not go for that, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

If you have the extra money, I really like the Deluxe frame. At the same weight as the standard frame, it is stiffer, skates like butter, and very very durable. But the standard frame is good too.

As far as I know, most of the differences between 2010 and 2012 High are cosmetic. You get the black and option of using color kits for customizing the look. So, if you prefer the old style, then they should do well, though sizes available.
GregT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Inl9r

Finally someone with size 38! LOL. Welcome to the club!

If you intent to do slalom, stick with the 231 frame. My Highs came with 243(an oversight) so are my Trix. The frame is a bit too long for our small boots. Fed up with the lack of manouverability, I bought a 231 Deluxe frame and my, what a world of difference! Slightly lower but much more grounded ie stable, now I really enjoy having them rockered! Everything became much easier and smaller wheels means lower weight as well. 243 sticks out too much and that few mm made such a big difference I tell you.

And get the Deluxe, it's stronger and smoother, can feel the difference since I have both the 243 standard and Deluxe frames.

And don't let the naysayers tell u that ILQ5 bearings are as good as ILQ9 or Swiss. Been using RB#7 bearings but they don't glide as well. Even ILQ9 is not as good as Swiss bearings and I'm just using Bevo Swiss.
Inl9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Inl9r

My feet are 2-3mm shorter than yours but so far they're ok with 38. It doesn't touch the end of my boots but I've got broad feet. About 4 months plus now and they started to fit like gloves. Rather numb for the first few months for me.

BTW, Greg gives good advice.
Inl9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 05:48 AM   #5
Naomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inl9r View Post
BTW, Greg gives good advice.
I know, right?? I just came on here to browse & see whats going on & every thread I click on has a detailed reply from him. There are very few forums that you can go on nowadays and get such comprehensive replies from people that really know what they're talking about.

Now that that is said, please refer to an earlier thread where he claimed that Seba Highs came with balance liners & pre-rockered frames.
Naomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #6
GregT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi View Post
Now that that is said, please refer to an earlier thread where he claimed that Seba Highs came with balance liners & pre-rockered frames.
Doh!

But then again, I believed that whole 2012 end of the world thing too.
Old September 9th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #7
crashpants
Boo!

Since I'm in the market now for Seba Highs as well, I thought it would be okay to revive this thread instead of starting a new one.

I currently skate a Seba Trix size EU 43 outdoors. I modded them with an Adams Inline 4x100mm wheels frame, and also bought a 231mm Seba frame thinking I'd swap frames for when I want to try slalom. I like my Trix enough like they are that I want to leave them alone and add a pair of Seba Highs.

I think my Trix are a bit too loose at 43 EU, so I'll try a 42 EU and see if they fit. Depending on the shoe manufacturer, that size is iffy in regular shoes, some work some don't. My longest foot measures right at 270mm so it's gonna be tight.

My size comes standard with the 243mm frame, which I'm thinking might be better for me since I had a nasty fall backward on the 231mm from losing my heel balance.

Has anyone had any experience with the Seba Highs 2012?
Old September 10th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #8
GregT

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashpants View Post
I think my Trix are a bit too loose at 43 EU, so I'll try a 42 EU and see if they fit. Depending on the shoe manufacturer, that size is iffy in regular shoes, some work some don't. My longest foot measures right at 270mm so it's gonna be tight.
I'm not sure which store you are buying from, but, if you are going through SkateCrazy.net, you should talk to Stacy about your situation. She is pretty much considered the Seba fitting expert here in the US. She's definitely helped me in the past.

Quote:
My size comes standard with the 243mm frame, which I'm thinking might be better for me since I had a nasty fall backward on the 231mm from losing my heel balance.
For size 42/43, I recommend you go with the 243mm frame. Yes, 231mm will be a bit more maneuverable, but the power and stability you'll gain with the longer frame will be worth it. In the future, hybrid frames of length 238mm may become more widely available and you could try one if you think 243mm. I ride 243mm frame on my size 40 skate.

BTW - if you have the money, I think the Deluxe frame is definetly worth the upgrade.

You should try some freestyle on those Trix of yours one day though. They are an excellent skate for it.

Good luck!
Old September 10th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #9
crashpants
Boo!

Thanks Greg,

Yes, I'm looking at SkateCrazy and have emailed my concerns. The Trix boots are very stiff and I haven't been able to get them to close around my foot tight enough to prevent my feet from sliding side to side inside them. Not good for tricks, hence my interest in the next smaller size boot. Yup, already have Deluxe frames, so I'll do that again. Thank you for the advice regarding 243mm frame size, I'll stick with that since I already have a 231mm anyway.

The Trix on speed frames are badass though, people ask me all the time where they can get some like them. I have to explain that it's a Frankenstein setup.... and cost about $850 to get there. "Oh"

Adam's Inline 165/195 Dual Mount 4x100mm frame w/partial ceramic bearings
Bont Black Ops 87a 100mm
Old September 10th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #10
GregT

Yeah, well your foot size is at the max recommended length for size 42 High, so it might work OK. Note that they'll probably feel real tight during break-in, but that's not uncommon for the High.

I now ride KSJs, which are very similar to the Trix. It is true that I do have some foot movement in the boot. Which I'm not used to because the High, and especially the Igor, lock your foot in tight if properly fitted. But that is to some extent a design decision I think. I can slalom fine in my KSJs (though they are very new), but it is taking some getting used to the lower level of support compared to the Igor.

The KSJ toes, though, are very tight, and very good for high-level tricks on toes. The Trix should also excel at these.
Old September 10th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #11
crashpants
Boo!

Thanks Greg,

If I can impose to ask another question... When I lace up my Trix all the way to the top, I feel very stiff-legged and unable to work my feet and ankles. Do people really lace up these trick skates that tight for slalom? For road use, I stop the laces at the bottom of the cuff and leave the Velcro strap very loose.

Watching this video, for example, I see a lot of flexibility in the foot, particularly tilt forward and back that a high tight lacing would not allow:

http://www.break.com/index/kid-has-c...skills-2366408
Old September 10th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #12
GregT

Well, that all depends on the skater in question. But I think it safe to say that, yes, most slalom/freestyle skaters lace their skate VERY tightly. At least if they are in competition or trying to learn something difficult.

I lace very tightly up to the top eyelet (I skip the 2nd-to-top only for more lace length, though I'm sure to lace the recessed eyelet near the ankle because that's what locks your foot in). I've not had any issue with restricted ankle movement on any of my Seba skates, including the KSJs, and I have a very "loose ankle/bendy leg" freestyle style.

It would be difficult for me to comment on your issue though without seeing it firsthand. Note that I couldn't connect to your linked video for some reason.

Of course, if you feel better not lacing the cuff, and you don't require support from the cuff, then your solution sounds fine to me. Just be sure to lace the recessed eyelet around the ankle, as it will help restrict foot movement in the boot.
Old September 10th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #13
crashpants
Boo!

Thank you Greg, you are a great help!

I skated the Skate of the Union events in DC this past June 2012. There was a woman there at the RFK event (at least, it was all a blur) with a table of Seba skates. Was that Stacy?
Old September 11th, 2012, 04:28 AM   #14
GregT

Quote:
Thank you Greg, you are a great help!

I skated the Skate of the Union events in DC this past June 2012. There was a woman there at the RFK event (at least, it was all a blur) with a table of Seba skates. Was that Stacy?
You're welcome.

I'm not sure who was at that event. If she was brunette, it could've been Stacy. If she was blond, it was probably Janet from LA, who sometimes runs a booth for SebaUSA at skating events. If it was a tall English girl with brown or red or purple hair, it was Naomi, owner of SebaUSA and member of this forum.
Old September 11th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #15
crashpants
Boo!

I'm in email contact with Stacy and she thinks it was Trish Alexander at the DC events.
Old September 12th, 2012, 04:36 AM   #16
GregT

Oh, yeah. I'd forgotten Trish was at some events.
Old September 13th, 2012, 02:28 AM   #17
crashpants
Boo!

Got a new pair of Seba Highs with the Deluxe frames coming from Stacy, size 42 as a first fit.

This will make the third pair of skates that I intend to own all at the same time (Seba Trix on speed frames, Bont Z, Seba Highs on trick frames) and the sixth pair of skates I've owned in the last 19 months. Do I have SEDS a problem yet?
Old September 19th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #18
crashpants
Boo!

Annnnddd.... the Highs arrived! The size 42 is going to work fine for this type of work. And so the slalom journey begins...
Old August 31st, 2013, 04:34 PM   #19
uniglider

Thumbs up High are great (once broken in)

It took me about 3 months before I finally got the Highs broken in right where I wanted them. I must admit I almost gave up because it was taking so long to break in. I'm glad I stuck it out. The 1st 3 months I hated and cussed them during every skate. Now I love them and I'm considering marrying them when it's legal. Love them.
uniglider is offline   Reply With Quote