S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old January 9th, 2020, 05:11 AM   #1
EoinCuinn

Default Toe stop advice

I wasn't too sure which thread to chuck this in, as it kind of crosses a few genres.

I am an artistic skater, 100% indoor for the last 5 years or so, started competing about 2 years ago, concentrating mostly on dance and figures now.

I recently whacked some large soft wheels on an old skate setup, and have started skating outdoors a lot on the local paths and roads, and absolutely loving it.

Having never skated on anything other than a boot with a toestop, slamming them backwards is pretty much the only way I know how to stop, and going downhill (there's a couple of steep bits on the local river path) they are jammed down the whole way.

Needless to say, I am shredding toestops pretty quickly, and I'm now after pretty much the hardest toe stop I can lay my hands on.

At the moment, I've been using roll-line Pro Stops, they are pretty tough.

My next step is to try a Roll-line derby stop, followed by maybe even just cheap Crazy skate big blocs. I feel a bit guilty destroying roll-line stops so quickly, but hey, that's life.

Opinions sought please, for a solid metric toe stop for roll-line plates. Please don't suggest learning how to hockey stop, I don't intend on learning that on an artistic boot with outdoor wheels on it.
EoinCuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2020, 01:10 PM   #2
ursle
Street Skater

I only see roll-line metric stops, either spend the bucks and refresh when needed or switch to an sae plate and use outdoor type stops.

http://bruisedboutique.com/onlinesto...bhi4ngeheigab0

And, outdoors you might try skating with your laces tied off below the ankle above the foot to give more ankle flexion, I agree no hockey stops outdoors unless it raining, but more flexibility for sudden mishaps may be safer.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2020, 05:18 PM   #3
dvw
Secretary of Skate

If you're careful, it is possible to over-tap the metric threads with SAE, and convert the plate, which will open up options.

Also look for the Sure Grip California Skate Brake. It's a stop that clamps, albeit somewhat barbarically, to the rear truck on the plate and provides a heel stop. It uses inexpensive rubber bell stops like on the Super-X and others. You may find the heel stop easier for outdoors. They're intended for Sure Grip trucks, so it may take a bit of creativity to adapt them to the Roll Lines.

Old January 11th, 2020, 07:33 PM   #4
EoinCuinn

Thank you both.

Not sure on a back brake, but I'll definitely do some further research on one.

I investigated some Crazy bloc stops, which are slighly cheaper than the roll-lines, but alledgedly the urethane can sometimes part company with the metal, which, when relying on them hammering down a hill doesn't sound so great.

I've ordered some roll-line hockey stops, see if they go a bit longer than the perferated pro stops.
Old January 14th, 2020, 12:43 AM   #5
EoinCuinn

The roll-line derby / hockey stop is a monster! Pretty sure these will do the job nicely.