S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:00 PM   #1
heyjude7

Default Reno boots for derby??

Found these online and being that we are in Italy now we are trying to seek out other brands then the top few that everyone talks about (antiks, bont, reidell, etc)
We are looking for a boot with a durable construction that does not need the ugly ass toe guard cover.. no offense but its not my cup of tea.

Every boot we look at is great but in the end the toes are left too open and not protected.

http://www.slapshotuk.com/boots.htm

Any feedback on Renos?

thank you in advance
heyjude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:21 PM   #2
Daveho

from my experience firstly derby skaters tend to favor a very low heel or no heal at all (my preference)
secondly the toe guards are there not because we like how they look but because they protect the boot and are replaceable, wearing through the toes of your bonts, reidells,antics etc is not a cheap endeavor.
thirdly alot of derby boots have a lower cut ankle for increased range of motion, while there are several exceptions to this its usually preferred to have the ankle exposed.
ive seen these boots pop up from time to time but i dont think they are ideal for derby really. any reason you are opposed to the major suppliers?
Daveho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:09 PM   #3
llama of death
DIY nutter/Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveho View Post
from my experience firstly derby skaters tend to favor a very low heel or no heal at all (my preference)
True, but tradition does not make it right/wrong. Heels can have advantages in derby; more agility, easier to get low etc (example try shoot the duck on flats, not as easy as without a heel huh'?).

Quote:
secondly the toe guards are there not because we like how they look but because they protect the boot and are replaceable, wearing through the toes of your bonts, reidells,antics etc is not a cheap endeavor.
Again true, but Most rink hockey skates seem to have a guard built in similar to the Antiks or High grade bonts (optional equipment on Bonts).

Quote:
thirdly alot of derby boots have a lower cut ankle for increased range of motion, while there are several exceptions to this its usually preferred to have the ankle exposed.
That's true, that they are low topped. Most of the Renos (and their competitors) are quite low too. Lower than say... Antik (one of the most popular choices for derby atm).

Last edited by llama of death; May 23rd, 2014 at 11:10 PM. Reason: typo
llama of death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2014, 12:55 AM   #4
Terror Australis
Happy Little Vegemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama of death View Post
True, but tradition does not make it right/wrong. Heels can have advantages in derby; more agility, easier to get low etc (example try shoot the duck on flats, not as easy as without a heel huh'?).
I can shoot the duck and I've never skated boots with heels.

HeyJude7 -I have no idea about these skates so can't help you there but I will say that toe guards are removable and once your skating improves you really don't need them. Bit of tape to protect from occasional scrapes and you'll be right.

Italy used to manufacture the good stuff......pity you don't have a TARDIS.

https://www.facebook.com/DollsOfHazzard?ref=ts&fref=ts
Terror Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2014, 01:31 AM   #5
llama of death
DIY nutter/Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror Australis View Post
I can shoot the duck and I've never skated boots with heels.
Sorry, to offend. It was not to say impossible on flats. Just not as easy.

Especially for the majority of people, as it requires less ankle bend to produce the same low stance. In fact, it should be slightly lower on the heel as you get much more range of motion forward before locking up at the joint.
Old May 24th, 2014, 02:47 AM   #6
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

There are a few people in the US using those for derby, mostly in the NW - a couple skaters from Oly Rollers and Puget Sounds Outcasts, not sure of others. I think the people using them for derby came form a hockey background. I wanted to try them myself but they were not available in a narrow width so I never did.
Live2sk888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #7
Daveho

shooting the duck isnt a matter of having a heel or not, its about having decent strength, flexibility and balance. if you cant do it then work on your pistol squats. the same is true of being more agile, getting lower etc its not that a heel makes you more agile its more that is slightly decreases your range of motion by shortening the gastrocnemius, soleus and plantaris muscles.
in regards to toe guards even though some have scuff guards etc a $5 toe guard is still easier to replace so although they are ugly they protect our expensive boots so although not pretty i recon they are worth having even if you never scuff em.
as for low ankles im referring more to bonts where the ankle is completely exposed, some love it some hate it. i can defiantly see the value in these boots or antiks if you have weak ankles or are injured etc but its a personal choice really.
i can see these being more the boot of choice if you where coming from say hockey or dance but as a stand alone derby boot i think there are is alot of competition out there.
Old May 24th, 2014, 12:43 PM   #8
Salamanda

Hockey boots are quite popular in the UK. I know quite a few skaters who swear by them. The higher ankle doesn't seem to restrict movement and they're pretty bomb-proof. The heel isn't particularly high, and heel height is personal preference anyway. I prefer a bit of a heel over none and anyone who says Roller Derby can't be played in boots with heels has obviously never seen Reaper from Team England jam - he does alright in his art boots
Old May 28th, 2014, 05:26 AM   #9
Gorilla

I really wanted to try Reno or similar boots for derby, but couldn't justify the money. They are expensive here in the US. I am now skating in the Roller Derby brand boots which have a harder toe and similar height to a quad hockey boot. If you can get them at a decent price or if you already have them, I would definitely give them a try. I have heard that their only drawbacks are long break in times and that they are heavier than other quad boots.
Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #10
PappaWheelie

They are pretty but I could not skate with such a heel for derby
PappaWheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 09:24 PM   #11
heyjude7

Thank you for the responses. I currently skate on Sure grip S 75 with avenger plates. I didn't want to go for all the main stream skates this next purchase. I wanted to try something different. I have a long background in hockey so it's not too far off for me.
With the heal.. Can't that be taken off or trimmed down?

I want a skate that is strong with built on toe guards. I am totally against bonts. My personal opinion is they suck. That's jus me. People swear by them but I can't stand them. Antiks are nice and solid but not as solid as I want
heyjude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 11:18 PM   #12
Daveho

its cause bonts are all about the fit, there is nothing better out there in this respect. they arnt the most durable (if neglected) nor are they the best looking things in the world (personal opinion) but for function over form they are best even their stock boots are awesome if you have relatively normal feet and heat mold them correctly.
presumably you are using these skates for indoor derby action only or are these for hockey too?
also it might be worth looking at your form if your toe dragging so much that boot durability is this much of an issue?
Old June 5th, 2014, 04:30 AM   #13
Gorilla

I am really loving the new Roller Derby Stomp Factor boots. The toe is covered with a tough extra layer of abrasion resistant material. To me, these are the best deal on the market for derby.

Note: I have worn Bont Quad racers for years and love them. I chose these because I wanted something more substantial to protect my toes.
Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 08:23 AM   #14
Daveho

i havent heard much feedback on the stop factor gear how is it?
Old June 11th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #15
big-red

Quite a few people in the UK use them, especially in the north west, lots of leagues that have sprung up from hockey skating venues.
Gay Fawkes #511
big-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #16
Kiepur_Inlein
'cause B!tch£s misbehave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamanda View Post
...anyone who says Roller Derby can't be played in boots with heels has obviously never seen Reaper from Team England jam - he does alright in his art boots
To further your point, roller derby's inception (back in the 70's when it was more like wrestling...and all of the skaters were skating PROFESSIONALS) had pretty much everyone wearing well-heeled skates. Those old pros could still probably skate circles around most derby skaters of today...while wearing their old, figure-type boots.
Kiepur_Inlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2014, 09:22 PM   #17
Daveho

no one said it cant be done, in fact most people who arnt on bonts have some sort of a heal. also you should go back and read your derby history as derbys inception wasn't the 70's.
Old June 20th, 2014, 07:17 PM   #18
llama of death
DIY nutter/Gearhead

Quote:
no one said it cant be done, in fact most people who arnt on bonts have some sort of a heal.
Not much on the market for over 1/2" heel. Even the Stomps everyone seems to be arguing merits/demerits of are 1/2" at best, same with Antik *approximately*.
Old June 21st, 2014, 10:16 PM   #19
Daveho

not for derby, but there look to be several figure and hockey boots that favor a sizable heal.. suppose it depends on your skating experience at to what you choose, i know if i started jam/dance/figure/speed skating id rock up in my bonts and no one could tell me different cause thats what im oh so comfortable in
Old June 22nd, 2014, 09:51 PM   #20
Kte

When I started playing just over 3 years ago, pretty much everyone in the league joined skated on Reno boots. I have just bought my second pair of skates, again Reno and have seen the use of them spread within other leagues. I have had no experience of the more common derby skates but I am completely happy with the performance and durability.

I prefer flat shoes, I have no problems with the small Reno heel!
Kte is offline   Reply With Quote