S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old October 4th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #1
Machine

Talking Anybody try the Radar Prestos yet?

Anybody had a set of the Prestos in a 91 or 93 out on polished concrete or sport court yet?

The girlfriend has been using a set of Reckless in 93 on our leagues sport court, and while they do ok there, she is having traction issues on our polished concrete track. (she skates Avengers w/purple cushions)

She was told by another skater in our league that the Prestos are a better version of the Bullet. (shrug) They look similar... We can't find a set for her to borrow and try out.

Just wonderin'
Old October 6th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Poobah

A cheaper alternative to switching wheels might be to try swapping out the lower purple conic cushions with yellows, then the upper barrels? They'll turn a bit easier and grip better in the turns. If both of those things are what she's after. Usually about $8-10 + S/H for a full set of Supers. Get blues while you're at it, since you're paying for shipping.
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
A cheaper alternative to switching wheels might be to try swapping out the lower purple conic cushions with yellows, then the upper barrels? They'll turn a bit easier and grip better in the turns. If both of those things are what she's after. Usually about $8-10 + S/H for a full set of Supers. Get blues while you're at it, since you're paying for shipping.
I've got an entire rainbow colored bag of the DA45 cushions...

It's more a wheel/surface issue and less a skate setup issue. The polished concrete simply does not work with some wheels. My Radar Devil Rays in 91a that are overly grippy and slow on the sport court feel like someone coated them with butter on the concrete. I actually run a full width Atom Poison/Stinger combo to have anything resembling traction on the concrete.

If I have to I'll just throw her on my Krytpto Route 62s for the time being.
Old October 8th, 2013, 07:46 AM   #4
Poobah

REckless are pretty much a 38mm wide "mid" wheel with a nylon hub for $90 a set of eight, right?

If she can stand the color white and the likely resulting "yellowish" I'd probably look towards the RollerBones Day of the Dead 92A for $65-70 a set.

Nothing against the Reckless, but I'm just morally opposed to spending almost as much as the cost of an aluminum hub wheel for a nylon hub wheel.

Riedell seems to have pioneered that pricing structure with the $45 half-sets of Heartless, Reckless and B'zerk (though strangely not many bought the latter). Then Atom seemed to find that folks were more than willing to pay $90 or more for a set of plastic-hubbed wheels (even if they didn't have a hubcap).

If a $90 wheel is no better than a $70 wheel, what message are we sending to the manufacturers and retailers?

Old October 8th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #5
Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
REckless are pretty much a 38mm wide "mid" wheel with a nylon hub for $90 a set of eight, right?

If she can stand the color white and the likely resulting "yellowish" I'd probably look towards the RollerBones Day of the Dead 92A for $65-70 a set.[/IMG]
They actually had a set of those in the wheel library that she checked out and played with for a bit. She really liked them... My recommendation was,"If you like those, and they work on the concrete, you should get a set."

But it's another one of those, "(experienced derby girl) said I should buy (foo) because it's better than (buh)." situations. Hence me here fishing for opinions before she plunks down money on wheels.
Old October 9th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #6
Poobah

Ugh, those types of people take me back to the early 1980s 8 bit computer scene. Justify your expenditure of $300-500 by convincing all of your friends that it's better than brand XYZ. Seriously, there's LOTS of this going on in the derby community.

On the upside, Facebook seems to be helping a fair bit in spreading knowledge on gear. But with wheels, it's kind of like asking Facebook "What should I have for dinner?"
Old October 9th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #7
NaptownChris

I love the Reckless wheels I've been skating since Brew. They're narrow, but still have a lip which makes them perfect for me. The new version - which I'll be buying when these are done - are apparently even better, with stronger hubs.

There's a fair amount of thought and tech built in to them. They're worth the money to me.
Old July 13th, 2014, 04:32 AM   #8
Entropy
Disorderly member

I have Presto 93A 59x38 on mag Avengers with purple bushings, and love them. I went from DOTD 86 (still gradually increasing hardness since starting derby in December) and was nervous about taking such a leap upwards, but went to 93 instead of 91 after trying a mate's Tile Biters in 94. I'd previously tried a Zombie mix of 92 / 95 and they were so hard it felt like skating on wooden wheels, I couldn't even get enough grip to push the floor sweeper around the rink! One lap and I had to take them off.

Anyway the Prestos are amazing, hard and fast, yet have stuck under me even when cornering sharply or crossing deeply on laps. We skate on an elderly wooden court that is very slippery at the best of times, and I'm an ultra runner so am light framed & 110lbs, yet so far so good. I'm still learning to trust them better in fact - I keep thinking perhaps a pusher in 91 might help me be more aggressive on fast laps but it's only really for mental security as they have been fine! I couldn't plough stop properly until I had these and transitions are much smoother than on my stickier wheels, so I'm a very happy skater.

These were my fifth try at finding the right wheels and I'm still going to keep on trying others for fun & the educational value (dying to try the new 59mm Faster Demirojos next), but it's great to have finally found a good reliable match. Plus they won't yellow!

Anyway, hello people! My first post and it's on my beloved wheels; will have to go find an intro thread now.