S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old August 10th, 2014, 04:25 PM   #1
Mashy

Default Smith Scabs or TSG Force IV?

So I'm thinking of upgrading my knee pads and was wondering what people thought of these two kneepads. I like the idea of them having an open back (although I may end up using gaskets anyway). I've decided against 187 pro derby as I they seem to have less coverage.

Anyways, what I'd most like to find out is how well both of these last (i.e stiching coming undone, padding)? Do they stay in place nicely? How bulky are they?
Mashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 08:46 PM   #2
Daveho

both are pretty well received with scabs being the more popular option. cant go wrong either way in my opinion
Daveho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 02:47 AM   #3
Kiepur_Inlein
'cause B!tch£s misbehave!

Yeah...I hear the same regarding both... Though I have had more than a few say that the Smith Scab "System" (meaning the use of Scab Gaskets with their Scab knee-pads) is really great about staying in place on your knees.
Old August 12th, 2014, 12:52 PM   #4
PappaWheelie

I see more scabs being used… not that this means anything….but it is an endorsement.
PappaWheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #5
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

the 187 pro went smaller for less of a footprint/movement restriction. if you have good falls, or don't fall much, and value movement these are a good choice. personally I want the pros, but wont get them until my non pros die.

the new force went bigger, higher on the thigh, and lower on the shin. the force 3 was much smaller than this current generation pad.

scabs do have great coverage at the cost of a pretty substantial footprint. and is very similar to the force 4.

I would try them both on in a couple sizes, to see which one fits your kneecap better.
elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #6
Kiepur_Inlein

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemental View Post
the 187 pro went smaller for less of a footprint/movement restriction. if you have good falls, or don't fall much, and value movement these are a good choice. personally I want the pros, but wont get them until my non pros die.

the new force went bigger, higher on the thigh, and lower on the shin. the force 3 was much smaller than this current generation pad.

scabs do have great coverage at the cost of a pretty substantial footprint. and is very similar to the force 4.

I would try them both on in a couple sizes, to see which one fits your kneecap better.
I always get a kick out of people talking about the "bulkiness" or (in this case) the "large footprint" of some of the skating pads... To this, I'll usually say: "Show me an NHL'er who looks like he's having trouble moving around in his 'bulky' pads."
My Reebok (20K Pro) hockey shin-guards protrude further from my knee (and continue to do so, pretty-much, to my ankle) as the bulkiest skater-pads I've ever seen (ie. Poor Boys, TSG's, 187 Killer...). To make my point to one kid a while back, we measured the fattest pads we could find someone wearing on the track (they happened to be Poor Boy, though there were some fat TSG's and 187's out there too), and my hockey shins had a circumference of over 2" more than the Poor Boy pads as I wore each .
If you can skate, there isn't a "skate-pad" out there you can't move well in. Buy something which fits you properly (even if buying online, reputable retailers will have measurement charts you can reference), and has the protection level you desire. As for me, I'll default toward more protection because of what a hockey coach in college always told us... "If we hurt them (hit them) it steals their energy and takes their points off from the scoreboard." Derby isn't any different... When someone is really getting banged-up out there, it "levels" their game down very quickly.
Old August 12th, 2014, 05:52 PM   #7
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiepur_Inlein View Post
I always get a kick out of people talking about the "bulkiness" or (in this case) the "large footprint" of some of the skating pads... To this, I'll usually say: "Show me an NHL'er who looks like he's having trouble moving around in his 'bulky' pads."
My Reebok (20K Pro) hockey shin-guards protrude further from my knee (and continue to do so, pretty-much, to my ankle) as the bulkiest skater-pads I've ever seen (ie. Poor Boys, TSG's, 187 Killer...). To make my point to one kid a while back, we measured the fattest pads we could find someone wearing on the track (they happened to be Poor Boy, though there were some fat TSG's and 187's out there too), and my hockey shins had a circumference of over 2" more than the Poor Boy pads as I wore each .
If you can skate, there isn't a "skate-pad" out there you can't move well in. Buy something which fits you properly (even if buying online, reputable retailers will have measurement charts you can reference), and has the protection level you desire. As for me, I'll default toward more protection because of what a hockey coach in college always told us... "If we hurt them (hit them) it steals their energy and takes their points off from the scoreboard." Derby isn't any different... When someone is really getting banged-up out there, it "levels" their game down very quickly.
so ..smith scabs of force 4? or are you not into answering. none of these pads are bulky or I would have said bulky. they don't interfere with movement all that much, they are well designed not to. THEY DO have three very distinctly different footprints on the body and 2 of them vary greatly in the knee cup. we are lucky enough to have a brick and mortar place that has these and many others for trying on from xs to xxl.

I have a set of lazy legs vert pads that are pretty much as good as my hockey shin guards were ever lol (pretty sure they were bigger than some of my shin guards). but they are 20 years old. for derby, I still wear 187 killers.

mashy, if you haven't seen them before destroyer pads are also VERY comfortable. BUT have a very narrow internal knee cup (my man knees don't fit in them properly).

elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #8
Kiepur_Inlein

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemental View Post
so ..smith scabs of force 4? or are you not into answering. none of these pads are bulky or I would have said bulky. they don't interfere with movement all that much, they are well designed not to. THEY DO have three very distinctly different footprints on the body and 2 of them vary greatly in the knee cup. we are lucky enough to have a brick and mortar place that has these and many others for trying on from xs to xxl.

I have a set of lazy legs vert pads that are pretty much as good as my hockey shin guards were ever lol (pretty sure they were bigger than some of my shin guards). but they are 20 years old. for derby, I still wear 187 killers.

mashy, if you haven't seen them before destroyer pads are also VERY comfortable. BUT have a very narrow internal knee cup (my man knees don't fit in them properly).

I see... When you mentioned "movement restriction", I thought that you were touching on spouting nonsense...sorry if I misunderstood. If you'd checked the earlier posts, I gave my opinion regarding Smiths v. TSG. ...Truth is I personally don't use (nor would I, after having tested many of some of the best made and found that you can still feel a little sting with really hard falls) "traditional" skater pads because they don't function even in the same league as my Reebok Pro pads--You could, pretty-much, drop me from the ceiling onto my knees, and I'm not going to feel it. And, as I alluded to before, I can move around in them without limitation--I have yet to find a "Derby" skater, male or female, who can catch me while wearing them (unless I let them catch-up).
Old August 13th, 2014, 07:07 AM   #9
MiltonChris
bOoGie -, bOoGie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiepur_Inlein View Post
Thank you sir.. I would recommend taping up the thumbs too..