S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old June 21st, 2014, 12:40 AM   #1
EvaLittleThing

Default Loosening your front trucks

I've recently loosened my front trucks by half a turn, noticed a big difference in my ability to plough stops?

Is this common practice? Are there any dangers to not having your trucks loosened to the same level?
EvaLittleThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 10:11 PM   #2
Daveho

nothing wrong with it at all, they are your skates what ever adjustment works best for you is fine
Daveho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 07:57 PM   #3
MR SHELBY
The Other White Meat

Red face While Skate Adjustment Is A Very Subjective Thing...

I'd personally avoid using looser trucks in either the front or rear. Look at what a skate does when you turn it, you ideally want ALL your trucks equally adjusted.

Doing otherwise is adding torsional/twisting load on your plates, you try to turn & one truck wants to lay over but the other differently set truck will resist that input.

Adding to this, I don't know what level of skates you own but most entry type skates I've ever seen don't fare well in a Derby type environment as they are. If you start twisting on Powerduds or any Nylon plate while skating Derby you're asking for premature plate/truck/kingpin & pivot cup failure. Ask around...

Derrick......
MR SHELBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 08:26 PM   #4
Daveho

interesting idea, i think it depends on the mount as on a short forward id say more load gets put on the rear axle, not a huge amount just a bit more then the front so loosening the fronts to get additional action dosnt sound like a bad idea to me.. i know mine arnt symmetrical, i just adjust till it feels comfortable for me, heck they probably arnt the same left to right
Daveho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 02:48 AM   #5
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default One other thought.

I know a lot of sk8rs that are heel toe "steppers". They are seldom on both trucks at the same time.

There are sk8s specifically designed for this. The Galaxy, David Team and even the oh so scary Ultimate V all have different action geometries on each end. They are no fun to sk8 with all 4 on the floor in my book. All of them seem to be trying to drive back end first like a boat or a fork lift due to the quicker action in the back.

I am all for what ever works...as long as it does not over tax the equipment.