S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old March 12th, 2019, 07:57 AM   #1
Dazzler

Default Skating after rain

Is it best to avoid this completely? I went skating yesterday morning when it was dry but had been raining the night before. Tbh, I picked what tuned out to be a really bad park in numerous ways. Only one path was ok for skating on so it was a bit of a mental adjustment to accept going around in a circle when I'd thought I'd get to branch out and explore a bit. But the worst thing was the paths had drained really badly and my boots were destroyed in mud when I finished up. It took so long to clean the wheels and boots and to get the bearings clean, dry and lubricated so I could put them back together. I literally stayed on a bike path the entire skate and yet my skates got into such a poor state.
Dazzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2019, 05:17 PM   #2
nickajshelden
Blades

I skate in the rain a lot (lovely PNW). Keep your feet under you--short strokes. keep your feet on the ground--double push, just kinda push from the hips. These two tactics maximize your grip. t-stops are safer than hockey stops in rain, though feel free to do slides. wet lubricants and ceramic bearings are best for rain. pick out boots with good breathability...your feet WILL get wet, what matters is how fast they dry. big wheels are nice for clearance, but in the rain 4 is better than 3. Whatever skates you use will get dirty. just find a cheap pair to use in the rain if that bothers you. Mud doesn't really affect performance. The first 15 minutes of rain after a dry spell are the worst...avoid that at all costs. After that, water is water. it hardly affects you more than in your head.
Old March 12th, 2019, 05:28 PM   #3
BigFoot

Skatersí remorse, eh? Youíre not a dumbass. I did the same thing twice last week. It has been raining on and off for the last two weeks, which is an eternity for us weather wimps here in So Cal. I like skating, and I just donít do well without exercise and some pleasure. Sleep better, better motivation, better appetite, better attitude, less arguing with my wife, all of those things. I havenít done any mud skating tho. That would be a mess. The problems with rain in my area are wet clothes, especially wet socks, OMG I hate wet socks, along with the increased chill from skating in wet clothes. The other problem is the twigs, leaves and branches that gets washed out of the trees and onto the skate course.

You could reduce the clean-up time by greasing your bearings. Grease is a good barrier to water. So at least you wouldnít need to clean and lube them after a wet run. I smear a little grease on the outside of the bearing seals, too. It is an extra barrier to water (and dirt).
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2019, 11:04 AM   #4
Dazzler

Thanks. I'm in Ireland, so tbh, if I can never skate after rain that leaves me about 3 days a year for outdoor skating. I think the park I chose was especially bad as it was built in a particularly swampy spot and the paths just don't drain off as fast as they should. All the bike paths near my house are fairly dry and puddle free now even though it was raining this morning. I just have to avoid that park unless we've had sustained dry weather and find a better spot for skating.
Dazzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2019, 07:59 PM   #5
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

I switched to quad skates for wet conditions. I often skate 4 miles to work that always ends with about a mile of street cleaner water mixed with soap. Impossible on inline skates, quads work GREAT! No mud however.

Anyway, I use cheaper bearings and just toss them when they get too noisy or seize up. I never clean a bearing, I just keep them lubed. If they die one by one I just toss in the bin. I really don't lose too many.