S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old February 19th, 2019, 07:11 PM   #1
Sonny01

Default Riedell Boots and Roll Line Plate Question

I have been skating on my 1969 Riedell 297 boots and Roll Line Ring 170 plates for years and the boots are giving me some problems. My shoe size is 9 but my boots are 8 1/2 and are very tight on my feet. I have a size 9 pair of Riedell 192 that I want to switch to and I can't find Ring 180 plates that are the right size for the boots. My question is what would happen if I switched my 170 plates to the size 9 boots? I have mounted plates to boots several times but always per the sizing charts. Any ideas?
Sonny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 07:37 PM   #2
40yearslater

Until someone more knowledgeable (that should be easY) contributes, I do remember that several years back there was a lot of talk about short forward. Depends on the type of skating of you do, and your foot structure (e.g. length of foot from ball to ankle).

(I'll try link a couple of threads here).
http://216.92.62.225/forums/showthread.php?p=676857
http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=18003

First link thread mentions using 170 on an even larger size.
I would guess that they would probably be o.k., once you adjust to the difference (tipping point).
They would be less stable but more maneuverable., I think.

Last edited by 40yearslater; February 19th, 2019 at 07:42 PM. Reason: clarification
40yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 08:02 PM   #3
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Does this chart help? I have a 170 Mistral on a Reidell 336, 8 1/2. As to your too tight 297 boots, are you wearing thin socks? If not, it might help trying it. I don't know if the Ring is available. At least it isn't listed for sale at skatesus. Maybe Connies has it. Not cheap, though.https://www.conniesskateplace.com/Ri...tes-p/ring.htm

https://skatesus.com/roller-learning...-sizing-chart/
As for mounting your existing plates, I think it will work. Just be sure to place the axle under the ball of your foot.
Old February 19th, 2019, 09:01 PM   #4
Sonny01

I started out with these 170 plates on Edea 285's I think they were...I don't remember. I loved the boots because after I had the them form fitted there was no break-in time. But I couldn't bend my ankles and went back to the Riedells. I used to skate on Imperial Lites but they could get a little squirrely some times. The Roll Line Rings are very stable for me.
I don't skate...I dance. I keep a lot of weight on the back trucks and the fronts spend a lot of time light or off the ground...just not off at the same time.
I took artistic lessons and do spirals and spins and skate sideways and I like to work with the rings.
It sounds like from reading the posts you pointed out that I should just try my 170's on my half size larger boots. I would like to know what Roll Line means by Riedell Shorter Sport mount though.

Old February 19th, 2019, 09:17 PM   #5
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

Keep your 170 plates for the larger boot size.
I roll 170 dance plate, with 9.5 boot perfect balance.
you will not like going to a longer plate.
Old February 19th, 2019, 09:23 PM   #6
Sonny01

As to your too tight 297 boots, are you wearing thin socks? If not, it might help trying it. I don't know if the Ring is available. At least it isn't listed for sale at skatesus. Maybe Connies has it. Not cheap, though.

As for mounting your existing plates, I think it will work. Just be sure to place the axle under the ball of your foot.

Yep...I am wearing thin athletic socks. I accidentally wore the wrong socks once and had a heck of a time. When I bought the boots in '69 they talked me into buying a half size smaller boot and I had blisters after fifteen minutes of skating. I ended up pouring half a little bottle of Lexol leather conditioner into each boot just before I laced them up and they ended up fitting like gloves.
I saw the ad for Connies and have done a lot of business with them over the years and the 180 plates, if they have them, aren't cheap. I ordered the last set of 170 Rings available from SkakesUS and had to wait forever for the boat to get here. I wish they would have shipped them by air. They have been discontinued for several years now.

I have the plate mounted as far back as it will go. I'm afraid of moving it forward any.
Old February 20th, 2019, 02:38 PM   #7
TCarlisle

If your 170 plate is correct for your foot -- meaning the rear axle lines up with the center of your heel and the front axle i sunder the ball of your foot -- then that plate will work fine on a larger boot assuming it is mounted accordingly. That would be so the rear axle lines up with the center of your heel and the front axle lines up with the ball of your foot.

BTW -- I too skate on a 297 size 8.5, but in street shoes was a size 9. I say "was" because now I am a size 8.5 in street shoes as well. Yes, your foot will reshape if you skate often enough.
TCarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 06:46 PM   #8
Sonny01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCarlisle View Post
If your 170 plate is correct for your foot -- meaning the rear axle lines up with the center of your heel and the front axle is under the ball of your foot -- then that plate will work fine on a larger boot assuming it is mounted accordingly. That would be so the rear axle lines up with the center of your heel and the front axle lines up with the ball of your foot.
Assuming the plates are correctly mounted on my present boots and I mount the back of the plates exactly the same on the half size larger boots wouldn't the front be the same on either boot and remain under my foot correctly? The only difference being the one set of boots are a little longer.
I think you are saying the same thing in the above but I want to make sure I understand it correctly.
Thanks,
Sonny01
Old February 21st, 2019, 11:48 AM   #9
TCarlisle

When I first thought through it, I envisioned you would need to bring the plate forward a little on the bigger boot in order to have the right forward/back alignment -- because the boot will be longer.

But now I am thinking there will be no difference because although the boot is longer,since the heel and back of the boot which touches the back of your leg will keep your heel in the same place -- which is securely pressed to the rear of the boot once you are all laced up. Therefore the heel/ball alignment would be the same as the shorter boot and you just have a little more toe room.

The typical frame to boot sizing chart will say that a US mens 9 Riedell boot belongs on a 180 Roll-Line plate, I am thinking you will be OK by the above reasoning.

So I would mount it as if the boot and plate just came in, and align it by placing the front axle under the ball of the foot and be done with it. That said, really find where the ball of the foot falls in that bigger boot and mark it on the sole. Don't just assume that where the boot is widest on that inside edge is where the ball falls, because that may not be the case.

Luckily, it isn't a new boot so you can probably see where the ball of the foot falls based off the impressions the ball of the foot has left on the boot bottom lining.

I would envision this ending up well and not turn out to be a disaster.
TCarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 02:08 PM   #10
kcire10

You will be fine. I skate on Edea Classica 290 boots (size 9) and have em mounted on Roll Line Dance plates in size 160. Best move I made when I got that setup done. Thinking about switching to the Ring plate though because I don't like the toe stop.
kcire10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2019, 02:11 AM   #11
Dec8rSk8r

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-12706.html.
In here is a chart ogfarmskater posted close to Doc's sizing that I use as a general guideline.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2019, 01:50 PM   #12
Sonny01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcire10 View Post
You will be fine. I skate on Edea Classica 290 boots (size 9) and have em mounted on Roll Line Dance plates in size 160. Best move I made when I got that setup done. Thinking about switching to the Ring plate though because I don't like the toe stop.
The Ring is now the Spin and the Spin's frame looks totally different then the Rings. They are supposed to be the same plates other then that but from the SkateUS website:
The Roll-Line SPIN Professional Figure and Loop Skate Frame IS similar to the DANCE Skate Frame (except without a Toe Stop) and very slightly dialed back responsiveness to help create more stability.

. To save cost was the explanation for the frame change that I heard so why did the Spin go up $50?

Last edited by Sonny01; February 22nd, 2019 at 01:54 PM. Reason: More Information
Old February 25th, 2019, 05:33 AM   #13
Oicusk82huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcire10 View Post
KC-
-Oh man, sorry to say it, but I think the U.S. may be completely sold out of Ring size 160 plates. I tried every single website that has them listed, but had no luck. Sometimes Ebay? You do have the benefit of being able to go to a larger sized plate if you found one. I ended up with the Giotto, due to my disgust with toe stoppers and while it may not be aesthetically beautiful in my eyes...it is the love of my life. Getting rid of the toe stopper is the best thing I ever did. Have you ever thought about a Spin plate? I think I would. It doesn't look as hot as the Ring, but I think it may be worth it.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 12:26 AM   #14
Sonny01

I got the 170 Ring plates transferred over from the 50 year old size 8 1/2 297 boots to the like new size 9 192 boots and went to the rink last night. I can't tell the difference between the two skating wise except for the new boots are stiff. I just need to put some time into them.
Thanks all for your comments and I'm glad I didn't buy any 180 Ring or Spin plates when I didn't need to. I asked questions here before I bought anything...that's a first for me.