S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old March 18th, 2011, 05:36 AM   #1
Rollerkingdom
Somewhere on neverland

Default After Session Mini Blog

It would be interesting to see what some people have to say after they skate a roller skating session, anything new, fun, or even tragedy happened? We are all into skating anyways so why not
Rollerkingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 02:55 AM   #2
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

I posted in the art forum yesterday. Got taken out by a psycho teen art skate wannabe on rentals. Came at me from behind and knocked me down. I had knee pads on under my jeans which saved me.

I think it's safe to say that if you can't maintain an upright stance without flailing your arms, you probably ought not try doing spins and turns.

Other than that, a fun session.

S
Old March 19th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #3
TattooDani

Default Post-Session

The only thing I can say is that I really wish management at our rink would do a better job of enforcing the posted rules and that parents would teach their kids basic rink etiquette before setting them loose. I know that comes with the territory of braving the Friday night session. Personally, I could do without it but my boyfriend likes it and we could use a little more time to spend together without our little girl (who goes with us to every session except Friday nights and the monthly adult night), so I just try to deal with it. Meh.
Old March 19th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #4
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Beginner Training Carts = YUK!!

They now have an entire cart line up of beginner training carts they have been using for a few weeks. Looks like a Grocery Cart or Buggy Stack since they bought so many.

These carts are shaped like an L and have wheels on the bottom. When you get 3 or 5 kids or even adults using them to hold themselves up and kids going cross floor to go to mommy they create a brand new hazard. When the kid falls they take up more than twice as much room with a tipsied cart. . YUK I just hope I never see 6 to 10 or more on the floor.

They should be outlawed. (Yeah like a get a vote.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
P.S. Couldn't find a photo of these things.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 04:16 AM   #5
funkysk8r

Default Skate Trainers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
They now have an entire cart line up of beginner training carts they have been using for a few weeks. Looks like a Grocery Cart or Buggy Stack since they bought so many.

These carts are shaped like an L and have wheels on the bottom. When you get 3 or 5 kids or even adults using them to hold themselves up and kids going cross floor to go to mommy they create a brand new hazard. When the kid falls they take up more than twice as much room with a tipsied cart. . YUK I just hope I never see 6 to 10 or more on the floor.

I know of these 'carts' you speak of, called Skate-mates by our rink. Only allows non-skaters to go even faster in the wrong direction-Uuggh!
Old March 23rd, 2011, 04:30 AM   #6
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Hate Them

Thanks

I hate them, and I truly believe they don't help anyone learn how to skate. I mean a parent holding a child is NOT learning so these are even worse.

Why the Rink Owners bought into these is beyond me (OK maybe I understand). It gives the impression of skating to make newbies feel like Wow! my kid can skate.

Old April 15th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #7
princessfluffhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post

Our rink has those too. They drive me crazy and don't promote actually learning how to skate. I do, however, wish I invented them because it is the simplest design ever and they are making a fortune on it
princessfluffhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 05:09 AM   #8
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Roll_On_America Wednesday 16May2012

Hi ALL,

Sad to say for you young things I am still skating. I know the Grand_Dad that won't give up his wheels and bones swiss bearings. I still need to get the Ceramics and Plates on my 595 boots.

Awhile ago Wednesday used to be a quiet skate, almost boring. I mean it wasn't Saturday or Friday teen skate which I did not go to untill recently. Yet we now get almost the best skaters (young for sure) at this quiet session. Now I know it is me, yet it is also US. WE all love skating fast and complex.

Anyway one young man, maybe 15, wanted to ask me a question and the 20 year old males wanted him to be politically correct, which I thought was cute and protective. His question should have been "How can an Old Guy like you still skate so Well" So I told him some Skate Stories.

And then again he is trying to get the Side Surf on InLines and is still doing the spin around. Where as I do the side surf and the piano to the floor.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; May 17th, 2012 at 05:11 AM. Reason: A Smidgen
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2017, 12:05 AM   #9
Binky BoomBoom

Smile What knee pads do you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slhallford View Post
I posted in the art forum yesterday. Got taken out by a psycho teen art skate wannabe on rentals. Came at me from behind and knocked me down. I had knee pads on under my jeans which saved me.

I think it's safe to say that if you can't maintain an upright stance without flailing your arms, you probably ought not try doing spins and turns.

Other than that, a fun session.

S
Sorry to hear you got taken out at the rink and I'm glad you're okay! I was just wondering if you could make an under jeans knee pad recommendation? I'm a bit rusty and trying to get back out there, I just don't want to blow out my knees. Thanks for your help!
Binky BoomBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2017, 01:24 AM   #10
Kassus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky BoomBoom View Post
Sorry to hear you got taken out at the rink and I'm glad you're okay! I was just wondering if you could make an under jeans knee pad recommendation? I'm a bit rusty and trying to get back out there, I just don't want to blow out my knees. Thanks for your help!
I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I like the Triple 8 gaskets; they fit very tight and will wear easily under a pair of not-tight pants.
Kassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2017, 01:26 AM   #11
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)

Default Knee pad info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky BoomBoom View Post
I was just wondering if you could make an under jeans knee pad recommendation?
https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tec-Athle...ce+Knee+Sleeve

I had a bum knee after a little girl took me down three years ago. I started using this knee sleeve then and have not skated without it since. It not only provides some knee protection, but it provides lateral twisting support. I have one for each knee and don't skate without it.

Skated family pm session today and it was rather busy. Had several close calls with little ones going the wrong way, but managed to stop and avoid their charge. I BRAKE FOR KIDS! Also had a few adults that did not seem to be much smarter about skating(cutting right behind me when I was going backward and suddenly changing directions - u-turn on floor). But I survived with no incidents to me or by me. So it was a good session.

Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2017, 03:32 AM   #12
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Philly Palace Christmas Season Skate

Hey ALL, Haven't read or posted in awhile.

Down to the Philadelphia area (Plymouth Meeting) for time with our kids and our one set of grand kids. Hey we took the one granddaughter to a active dinosaur exhibit at the Franklin Institute. Fun for all grand parents as this show travels the world. https://www.fi.edu/exhibit/jurassic-world-exhibition. This is a nice show..

Anyway

Skated at the Palace on Roosevelt Ave. I have always forgot to get into the right set of lanes to make an easy turn into the skate place. So I had to wait for traffic to move on over to the local lanes.

Not much of a crowd, yet the Palace is like I remembered or maybe better than several years ago. The floor was really nice and although I was afraid of my fast wheels Bones Turbos) it was GREAT.

I did Skate Sideways, yet did not Side Surf. I could see one young man who would love to skate like me. Anyway Not my best performance, yet at least one dad at the end kind of congratulated me.

I have not skated in more than one week, yet at the end still skating well and my legs felt like Liquor-ice . Good feeling.

More thoughts including my non skating grand daughter, and the new little Guy almost with my name.

Old January 14th, 2017, 12:40 PM   #13
Derrick

Default Afterschool at Eastlake

They kept the house lights on for 1.5 hours. Yea! I was alone for 45 minutes. Usually I find that quite uninspirering but I had some jumping and spinning to work on and the house lights were on, which helps.

Did lots of waltz jumps, was trying mapes. Off skate it's really easy, but I have trouble with the stab on skates. I lowered the stops, I got most of the way around on the carpet, but not on the skating surface. Always stuff to learn, but I still think this will be my most difficult jump I will try on the surface.

So..... I just made a basement set up with Zeke's old skates, they are just like my rink skates but jam plugs and wheels I can trash. I got home went down with some laundry and tried to improve my spin edges (which I did, but I'm never satisfied). I came back up and my kids asked,

"Where have you been?"
"Down doing laundry".
"You've been down there an hour, what ELSE have you been doing."

After a well placed uncomfortable silence I had no choice but to admit the truth.
Old April 9th, 2011, 04:37 AM   #14
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

Session #2 on quads.

Borrowed some quite soft black rubber cushions (only replaced the barrels, had to stick with the purple cones, due to not having any barrel retainers), and *woh* ZOMG, I see why you need to work up to softer ones. Tightened it all up a bit and it's starting to get somewhat turny. I'm beginning to see a little more potential here than yesterday. Plus I discovered turning with the front of the foot which starts making exciting things happen too.

My crossovers still suck. Slowly training myself to turn the inside foot outwards, so I can underpush on it, but it's not flowing yet. Softer cushions certainly set me back a bit there.

My Rebel boots aren't giving me any problems anymore, since I put a permanent bend in the tongue. All perfectly comfy now.

Sports tile floor at this rink is *horrible* on quads, clickity clack clickity clack.... But the 92A fugitives were easily grippy enough for it.
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:30 AM   #15
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Thursday 07April2011

Hi All, BlackLace,

Well Adult Skate was pretty good. We only had a few beginner adults so the floor was safer than with too many newbies.

Amy, a young gal skate guard of a few years ago, Art Skater, Artist, was first playing around in the middle with the young guys doing one foot stuff and then when later bored was chasing a pretty good InLine guy that also likes his speed. He is our Siren Guy late in the session.

Had a Birthday cake for our buddy Tammy who is past 39 by a few. She is our talker and general liker of people. She is always so nice and soon her 2nd marriage will be 10 to a really good skater.

Ken had another crash this week with some of the gals. It was one of those slow things that just should not have happened to good skaters. I mean that is weird since he is so good yet this makes 3 weeks in a row that he has either fallen himself or crashed some gal. We laughed about it and the one gal showed her bruises due to Kenny.

I think the owner / DJ played some Reggae music and might not have known it or Just had a fling.

Several of the current regulars were missing.

Old April 12th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #16
KMA

Just got back from a retro night session in San Ramon.

Not very crowded, which was nice. Got in some speed practice, jumps (I landed one nice-ish waltz jump) and I am learning to crazy leg.

Only fell once, skinned the same elbow I skinned last tues. in speed practice. Tomorrow, no session, but speed practice.
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 03:51 AM   #17
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Wednesday 12April2011

Hi ALL,

Well tonight was nice. It is Wacky Wednesday (free entry with item of the week). Lots of skate places have Wacky Wednesday and AM Stroller Tuesday Skate (I think it is Tuesday). The RSA seems to help the Rink Owners create these common formats.

My big news is that our World Champion Pair (of about 10 years ago), and Art Skating Instructors are staying a spell after they finish lessons and enjoying themselves skating with each other. After the piles of kids they have had since their skating highs, it is fun to watch them re-enjoy skating even if for a short time. They even did a partial lift tonight. I was worried about them particularly the wife.

My new gal Karen and her finance and their kids were there again. Karen and I had fun rhythm skating together and it kind of inspired our gal in paragraph two to show some of her great stuff which included fast 3 foot turns.

More and more. And my little girl buddy (maybe 8) with older dad or older mom always coming to watch was also present. She also does Ice Skating training down in Acton with I guess some Olympic Russian skaters that are quite disciplined from warm_ups to cool_downs.

Old April 15th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #18
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

Ah, friday night at the concrete rink. On quads again.

Typical random combination of sensible adults, 2/3 inlines, 1/3 quads. hockey kids playing chase (grrrr!!!). A few derby girls. A couple of derby guys.

You know. Roller derby is such an awesomely social sport. You don't even have to play to have derby girls come up to you and introduce themselves. You apparently only have to *look* the part . Since I wear pads and a helmet at sessions (couldn't dream up a sensible reason not to), and I dress in gothy/lacy black stuff, and stripy stockings all the time anyway, I'm apparently indistinguishable from the average newbie fresh meat.

They all seem so disappointed when I tell them I'm not going to. But I admit, I'm half tempted to go along to practice though and learn, just so I can learn to take out the hockey tweens! (grrrr!).

Only my third session on these quads so still very timid, largely terrified of my skates short plates. Spent most of the time, being boring, just going round and round working on my still crappy (but improving) crossovers. Dancing, carefully, a bit, along the straights. Music was crap. Virtually nothing with any danceable groove. Not that I can do much on quads yet anyway.

Its so frustrating being scared and clumsy all over again
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #19
Jenne

Default My first post

Today I had two interesting skate sessions. I skated the second half of the afternoon session, which was full of kids with Skate-Mates and people going every which way, but still uncrowded enough that I could work on testing and tuning my new skate build (DA-45 Avengers on soccer boots.)

The evening session is understood to be teen night, which doesn't stop me from showing up and dorkifying the place. I was trying to be braver, but ended up clipping/being clipped by an inliner (quads are a serious minority at my rink.) (I was between two groups of girls holding hands who were merging into each other without looking. Do y'all have the skaters who merge left while looking right?) Went down on my elbow and hip after deciding I didn't need my elbow pads tonight. Immediately got up and put on my elbow pads.

My pusher blister was acting up, so I left about an hour early, but got a total of 4.5 hours of skating today.

Gripe: WHY isn't texting banned on rink floors?!

Positive: My rink now sells giant pickles!

Rufus prime, that fall sounds awful! I know I look like a dork, but I like to wear my helmet when I'm skating because of stuff like that!
Jenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #20
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
Today I had two interesting skate sessions. I skated the second half of the afternoon session, which was full of kids with Skate-Mates and people going every which way, but still uncrowded enough that I could work on testing and tuning my new skate build (DA-45 Avengers on soccer boots.)

The evening session is understood to be teen night, which doesn't stop me from showing up and dorkifying the place. I was trying to be braver, but ended up clipping/being clipped by an inliner (quads are a serious minority at my rink.) (I was between two groups of girls holding hands who were merging into each other without looking. Do y'all have the skaters who merge left while looking right?) Went down on my elbow and hip after deciding I didn't need my elbow pads tonight. Immediately got up and put on my elbow pads.

My pusher blister was acting up, so I left about an hour early, but got a total of 4.5 hours of skating today.

Gripe: WHY isn't texting banned on rink floors?!

Positive: My rink now sells giant pickles!

Rufus prime, that fall sounds awful! I know I look like a dork, but I like to wear my helmet when I'm skating because of stuff like that!
Welcome Jenne. Congrats on your DA45's. 4.5 in one day is quite a day of skating! At some rinks, or at least certain sessions at certain rinks, it can be a real jungle out there. I remember shortly after I got my first DA45 setup, I found myself at Fountain Valley for an afternoon session (?). The kids tweens and teens really had a "this is OUR floor" attitude and were buzzing/testing me. I showed them a thing or two about backward skate maneuvering. Game over.

Yeah, that fall was bad. I am 6ft, 190, and this fella had an inch or 2 on me in height, and 30-40lbs on me in weight. I mean, you don't want to see anyone that size go down at all, much less go down bad.

But hey, if you are newer or getting used to a new setup, wear your dorkiness loud and proud. Own it girl (2 snaps). I don't wear gear, but I have become really good at avoiding trouble, and most of my sessions are adult, so much less potential for trouble. But, I also skate jungle sessions too. And I do it backwards. I am constantly looking all directions. Part of why I like backwards in a crowd so much. It is VERY mentally engaging. You have to identify threats BEFORE they become a problem. The cut through the middle to be with my friend types, the I can skate any direction I want type, or the OMG, you are supposed to be watching out for ME when I am texting types. Once you learn to id these "types" and get a hang of your DA45's, you will be happily zigging and zagging around problems with ease.

ps: Giant Pickles?? I like pickles in a burger, but a GIANT pickle. To eat. With nothing else??? Yeah, I must just be getting old.