S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    


Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name


Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2013, 05:16 AM   #1
Johowo
Member
 
Johowo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Morganton , N.C.
Posts: 95
Default styles

i'm a skater watcher as much as i am a skater . I like to travel to different rinks and observe as many different people and skating styles as i can . So , now I'm wondering if it's easier to skate with the high top boots and smaller wheels or with the low cuts with the wider wheels . What facts do you base your choice on ? I've always skated with the low cut boots ,( 595s and 695s), on prolines and lip style wheels . Do you think it would be a good idea to try a high top boot and the smaller wheels like the all american's ?







d
Johowo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #2
jbgerman
Senior Member
 
jbgerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johowo View Post
i'm a skater watcher as much as i am a skater . I like to travel to different rinks and observe as many different people and skating styles as i can . So , now I'm wondering if it's easier to skate with the high top boots and smaller wheels or with the low cuts with the wider wheels . What facts do you base your choice on ? I've always skated with the low cut boots ,( 595s and 695s), on prolines and lip style wheels . Do you think it would be a good idea to try a high top boot and the smaller wheels like the all american's ?
I've always skated with high top boots and smaller wheels and prefer the All American Dreams for skating in a rink. I think it is different, but not so much different as as a number of people think. Most difference are the wheels. Smaller and harder wheels give you more agility, but also less grip. You have to like the balance between grip and slide.







d[/QUOTE]
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #3
cass38a
Senior Member
 
cass38a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Newcastle NSW, Australia
Posts: 3,517
Default

There is benefits to all styles of skates, some are better for dancing, some for speed and some for sliding around on.

No harm will come from trying them out and the more types of skate you are comfortable in the better skater you will be.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish
 
Doc Sk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Big hill on Mars
Posts: 12,146
Default 2 other Doc Sk8s??

How incredible. However since the two members that beat me to the punch are quite correct, I will leave their posts.

Now it's my turn. 3 major differences between speed boots and art boots. The heel is the most obvious. It changes the leverage you have on the plates and more importantly, it shifts your center of balance. Some sk8rs cannot make the transition. Others do it no problem .

The second difference is the grip the boot has on your foot /ankle. The better art boots have a huge amount of support around the ankles. Almost like being in a cast. The less expensive boots, not so much. Either way your ankle is more constrained in an art style boot.

Last is the weight. Art boots are like boat anchors.

In all the time I have been doing this, I have taken way more people from art to speed boots (for rec sk8ing) than i have seen go the other way..

However, I agree with the other 2 posters here. Ya got to try it and see.
__________________
"The difference between good skates and great skates comes from knowing where to get the numbers."
Doc Sk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #5
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,700
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
How incredible. However since the two members that beat me to the punch are quite correct, I will leave their posts.

Now it's my turn. 3 major differences between speed boots and art boots. The heel is the most obvious. It changes the leverage you have on the plates and more importantly, it shifts your center of balance. Some sk8rs cannot make the transition. Others do it no problem .

The second difference is the grip the boot has on your foot /ankle. The better art boots have a huge amount of support around the ankles. Almost like being in a cast. The less expensive boots, not so much. Either way your ankle is more constrained in an art style boot.

Last is the weight. Art boots are like boat anchors.

In all the time I have been doing this, I have taken way more people from art to speed boots (for rec sk8ing) than i have seen go the other way..

However, I agree with the other 2 posters here. Ya got to try it and see.
Doc some of the expensive art boots have very little padding, it depends on your preference and which event you are doing. believe it or not figures needs the most padding and freestyle skaters go from very little padding to the stiff boots you were talking about.

either way they have more support in the ankle then speed skates as you said. and yes the heel is definitely a huge difference.
__________________
Ciao Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish
 
Doc Sk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Big hill on Mars
Posts: 12,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
Doc some of the expensive art boots have very little padding, it depends on your preference and which event you are doing. believe it or not figures needs the most padding and freestyle skaters go from very little padding to the stiff boots you were talking about.

either way they have more support in the ankle then speed skates as you said. and yes the heel is definitely a huge difference.
Thanks Rick. Say, can you point me at some of the higher end boots with less support?? I don't recollect ever seeing one..Or maybe I was just not aware of what I was seeing.
__________________
"The difference between good skates and great skates comes from knowing where to get the numbers."
Doc Sk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 12:04 AM   #7
Johowo
Member
 
Johowo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Morganton , N.C.
Posts: 95
Default

Thanks to all of you for the answers. I have another plate , bearings and wheels ready for a new boot and just tring to decide which style to go with . You all have been a great help and thanks again .
Johowo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 07:36 AM   #8
jbgerman
Senior Member
 
jbgerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 610
Default

Ohhhhh, sorry didn't notice the forum.
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 08:13 PM   #9
Edward Williams
Still Learning...
 
Edward Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
How incredible. However since the two members that beat me to the punch are quite correct, I will leave their posts.

Now it's my turn. 3 major differences between speed boots and art boots. The heel is the most obvious. It changes the leverage you have on the plates and more importantly, it shifts your center of balance. Some sk8rs cannot make the transition. Others do it no problem .

The second difference is the grip the boot has on your foot /ankle. The better art boots have a huge amount of support around the ankles. Almost like being in a cast. The less expensive boots, not so much. Either way your ankle is more constrained in an art style boot.
I like to think of it as ankle support of which the speed boot has less of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Last is the weight. Art boots are like boat anchors.

In all the time I have been doing this, I have taken way more people from art to speed boots (for rec sk8ing) than i have seen go the other way..
I'm confused. You told me you don't work on art boot setups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
However, I agree with the other 2 posters here. Ya got to try it and see.
__________________
De gustibus non est disputandum.
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.