S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old August 9th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #1
BlondeWitch
4PairsCustomSkates=Broke

Default I have an inline skate with a stripped screw

I can't get the front wheel off. Any way to get that screw out without drilling it out/scrapping the whole axle? (The skate is a Seba High)
BlondeWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 02:16 AM   #2
Rink Rat
Rhythm Skater

Try a screw extractor available at Lowe's. You don't even need a power drill. Just use a pair of pliers to turn it, once you've inserted it into what's left of the screw head. Good luck!

Doc says.. Answering questions on my forum before I do is not good manners. I suggest you read the rules. However, since this is a good answer I'm not going to delete it. In the future, please make darn sure you know where you are posting before you bust off in Ask Doc Sk8.

Last edited by Doc Sk8; August 9th, 2013 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Rule 1 violation. A warning.
Rink Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 02:57 AM   #3
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

uht oh
Old August 9th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #4
Quadtastic
Quads live!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rink Rat View Post
Try a screw extractor available at Lowe's. You don't even need a power drill. Just use a pair of pliers to turn it, once you've inserted it into what's left of the screw head. Good luck!
That's what I would do if I stuffed my axle. I done it plenty of times

Doc says.. Answering questions (or providing additional comments for that matter) on my forum before I do is not good manners. I suggest you read the rules. However, since this is a good answer I'm not going to delete it. In the future, please make darn sure you know where you are posting before you bust off in Ask Doc Sk8.

Last edited by Doc Sk8; August 9th, 2013 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Rule 1 violation. A warning.
Quadtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 06:21 AM   #5
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeWitch View Post
I can't get the front wheel off. Any way to get that screw out without drilling it out/scrapping the whole axle? (The skate is a Seba High)
Hmm, these are steel axles drilled all the way through?? Most likely you will want to replace the axle. Screw extractors, AKA Easyouts are not real nice to the driving surfaces in the axle. If you cannot get it out now, you will have similar issues in the future. On top of that, getting it tight when you screw it back in will be problematic. so consider it trash now and don't worry about reusing it.

Seba sells replacement axles. I would stick with the OE parts since many of the inline axles of that style I am familiar with have different threads. I have had to scrap more than one stripped inline frame because someone decided the axle they got from their buddy or the Pro shop was close enough.
Old August 9th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #6
Rink Rat
Rhythm Skater

My apologies. I was unaware of the rules governing this forum. In the future I will refrain from posting here.
Rink Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #7
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

Quote:
My apologies. I was unaware of the rules governing this forum. In the future I will refrain from posting here.

You vill learn the vays of dis forum or zee Doctor vill rrrreemoof your teeth vith a bearrrrink puller!
SMACK! SMACK! SMACK!

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."

Last edited by RS Dave; August 10th, 2013 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Vain attempt at humour :-)
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 05:28 AM   #8
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
You may post but please wait until I get a chance to answer first.
Old August 10th, 2013, 05:32 AM   #9
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS Dave View Post
You vill learn the vays of dis forum or zee Doctor vill rrrreemoof your teeth vith a bearrrrink puller!
SMACK! SMACK! SMACK!

Actually Dave, I will use the screw type puller. it is much slower and way more effective.

Folks for those of you that are not aware, RS Dave is the man that created Doc Sk8 and dragged me kicking and screaming into this.. A round of applause is in order.
Old August 10th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #10
RS Dave

Not so much screaming as it was complaining. You are such a diva, Fred.

Old August 10th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #11
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
IMHO, this should be a password to access forum that cannot be posted to with an invite, now it's an open forum
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #12
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
IMHO, this should be a password to access forum that cannot be posted to with an invite, now it's an open forum
Noted.

Care to explain how that would be implemented?? Kinda hard to password protect something that has to be open so folks can ask questions.. Or perhaps I lack imagination??

Feel free to expand. But remember, it's not like a trap or anything. The rules are plainly posted at the top.
Old August 10th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #13
RS Dave

It would greatly increases the moderator's workload as people would have to ask first if they can post, then Doc gives them the ok, then the question gets posted, then Doc has to answer. If someone else has some input to give, they have to ask permission to post, Doc gives the ok, and yada yada. A lot of work.

Old August 10th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #14
ursle
Street Skater

Immediately, it "could" be a password forum, just like the "for sale" forum, there would be no misguided post's, anyone in it would know where they were.

Then, "the moderator" would have the option of leaving it open or closing it to people that ask permission to post.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #15
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Immediately, it "could" be a password forum, just like the "for sale" forum, there would be no misguided post's, anyone in it would know where they were.

Then, "the moderator" would have the option of leaving it open or closing it to people that ask permission to post.
Interesting concept. "the Moderator" will mull it over.