S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old June 1st, 2011, 10:53 AM   #1
GregM
Loving DA45's

Default Removing toe stops.

Hey Doc, Thanks for all the help on my xk-4 on Rebels mount. Love them and am now on yellow cushions and just ordered blues (size 5 on a size 11 boot, wish I did a 4 now). The issue I have now is that I use the toe stops infrequently and hear that the blue cushions sometimes allow the wheel to contact the stop. I did a search and found a few threads about milling the stop mounts down on magnesium plates. These. I understand, are polished aluminum and I am concerned about cutting them. My question(s) is(are), is it doable, has it been done, and have you done it on these plates? Thanks in advance.
GregM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 02:50 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregM View Post
Hey Doc, Thanks for all the help on my xk-4 on Rebels mount. Love them and am now on yellow cushions and just ordered blues (size 5 on a size 11 boot, wish I did a 4 now).

NTS Cyclone....

The issue I have now is that I use the toe stops infrequently and hear that the blue cushions sometimes allow the wheel to contact the stop.

On an DA45 XK-4s?? News to me.. I got a half dozen derby sk8rs on XK-4s with no issues.. DA45 Magnums... different story.

I did a search and found a few threads about milling the stop mounts down on magnesium plates. These. I understand, are polished aluminum

XK-4s are exactly that.

and I am concerned about cutting them. My question(s) is(are), is it doable,

Almost anything is...as long as the laws of physics are not violated...

has it been done,

Sure

and have you done it on these plates?

Certainly

Thanks in advance.
What you failed to ask is should I do it... Don't.. Get a bare NTS Cyclone plate and you can go down to a 4. Swap over your hardware and save the XK-4 for someone that want's stops.
Old June 1st, 2011, 06:36 PM   #3
GregM
Loving DA45's

Default DOH!! :)

Thanks for the quick reply. I really wanted the Cyclone NTS but didn't want to drop the money. You're right on the money, Doc. The DA45 trucks will swap right over, and I save the 50$ up charge, which makes it way more economical than the time required to hack up mu XKs. Thanks for your time!

Upon further looking, cannot find bare plates. Doc, If you have these or a source, please pm me if you have time,thanks.

Last edited by GregM; June 1st, 2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: added comment
GregM is offline   Reply With Quote