S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 13th, 2018, 08:17 PM   #1
FUBAR
Rookie

Default New skater experience

Hello everybody,
I’ve just started skating the past few months. I’ve had more fun than I think I should have. I though I would share my experience for other first timers. Thank you to everybody that contributes. I’ve been doing a lot of reading here.

Wear your skates! I would put my skates on at home to do normal everyday house stuff until I got comfortable. I got to try a bunch of different obstacles while in the privacy of my own home (tile, stairs, hardwood, wet floors, carpet, bath towels, toys).

Learn to stop in as many ways as you can.

The local rinks that I tried were the worst. The skates were neglected. The staff cared very little about anything. The songs were the exact same in the same order every time we went.

Outdoor skating is hard! The streets are tough! Little hills and curbs look and feel giant the first time you approach on skates. Zombies (people wandering about looking at a cell phone) lurk about everywhere. If you announce that you are passing on the left, expect them to move to the left right where you told them you were going. Don’t trust the “right of way”. Keep yourself safe. Especially at cross walks. I have a feeling most people don’t know/care how the system works.

Rinks seem small once you skate outdoors.

Night skating is magical. I started waiting until dusk so the heat wasn’t so bad. It is fantastic. I get a feeling like I’m floating that I don’t get in the daytime. My favorite section of trail has a long wooden bridge. The fireflys are flashing by the hundreds. The moon and stars shine through the trees. It truly feels magical. I feel like I found something that few people have seen or experienced.

Skating is fun. I’ve been skating everyday that I can. I can’t get enough. The first mile was rough. Now, 10 miles a day isn’t enough.

Practice in crappy conditions. You don’t want your first skate in the rain to happen when you are miles from home. Rough trail/roads. Sidewalk cracks and irregularities. Damp wooden bridges. Pinecones. Mulch. Rocks. There are a lot of obstacles out there. Practice getting run off the trail. Know what it feels like to transition into grass before you need this skill.

I don’t know any other skaters or skating families. I’m sure this will change with time.

I doubt I’ll ever stop skating. It has been wonderful.

Thank you,
FUBAR
FUBAR is offline   Reply With Quote