S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old September 20th, 2016, 11:46 AM   #1
joshraj

Default Shifting from Quad to Inline, liners. Help!

Hi guys,

My name is Josh and I'm a skater from Chennai (India), a studio/live guitarist by profession. I've taken up skating again after 20 years for recreation and fitness as I hate the idea of working out at a gym. As a kid I would skate every single day at the rink for 2 hours. I used quad skates (the type with a shoe attached) and now I have the same set up. I plan on doing a lot of road skating as skating rinks around the city are few and mostly train / accommodate kids.

I decided to give inline skating a go as the bigger wheels are supposed to roll smoother on roads so I bought a pair of Powerslide Imperial Megacruiser Pro 125 skates. Now I seem to be faced with the problem of getting used to a boot that goes way above the ankle and makes it seem like turns are difficult. However, I'm guessing that's just going to take some getting used to.

The 2nd problem I'm facing is that my feet hurt a lot after I've skated on the inlines for about 5 mins. I need to take a break and then get back to it only for it to happen again, is this a normal thing for skaters transitioning from quad to inline?

I should probably mention that these inlines came with Myfit Fatboy liners that have a very tight fit. I tried to send these skates back for a replacement /exchange but the company wouldn't take them back as I had trashed the packing, unfortunately! I also heat moulded the liners after which were a little better but once I put my feet in the hard shell boot they felt very tight and cramped. The website I bought them from claim that I have the perfect size skate and its only a matter of time before they 'break-in'

My questions are...

1)Am I stuck with a pair of skates that are going to hurt whenever I use them?

2) Will the liners in the skates actually expand with use to an extent that my feet are comfortable?

3) Would it help if I got another pair of liners that are thinner, lets say the Myfit 2nd skin liners....? This is something I'm seriously considering as I have no option but to make the most of these skates. However, I dont want to end up spending more money on these skates if this is not likely to remedy the problem.

Any tips, suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm totally looking forward to getting into a regular skating routine and staying fit
Suggestions for an alternate pair of liners would help too.

Cheers
Josh
joshraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 05:27 PM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Usually a good inline fit will be harsh at first, give them approx 20 hours to
1 let your feet adjust to the pressures of an inline boot, and
2 to break it into your foot better
Old September 20th, 2016, 05:47 PM   #3
Gee

Do you have problems with pronation? The effects of pronation is more severe with a firm boot that goes above the ankles. People who have worn larger sized boots may not notice the problem until they start wearing properly sized boots. A boot that is too tight around the toes can also be a problem, but I do not think a boot that is tight around the ankles can ever cause problems. If you have a pair of arch supports, try inserting them into the boot and see if that alleviates the pain before you invest in a new liner.
Old September 20th, 2016, 10:01 PM   #4
joshraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Usually a good inline fit will be harsh at first, give them approx 20 hours to
1 let your feet adjust to the pressures of an inline boot, and
2 to break it into your foot better
Thanks for the tips, Mort! at the risk of looking goofy you reckon I could wear the liners while I'm at home like shoes? would this help break in the liners sooner?
Old September 20th, 2016, 10:08 PM   #5
joshraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
Do you have problems with pronation? The effects of pronation is more severe with a firm boot that goes above the ankles. People who have worn larger sized boots may not notice the problem until they start wearing properly sized boots. A boot that is too tight around the toes can also be a problem, but I do not think a boot that is tight around the ankles can ever cause problems. If you have a pair of arch supports, try inserting them into the boot and see if that alleviates the pain before you invest in a new liner.
Thanks for the reply, Gee. I dont know for sure about pronation. Honestly, Ive never heard of this before. I've always skated using a shoe type set up. Boots are new to me. But having said that the majority of skating hours I put in was years ago at the age of 11 - 12. I'm now taking up skating at the age of 32 after all these years. I occasionally feel a bit of pain and stiffness even while I'm skating with my quads but thats nothing compared to the pain I feel after 5 mins on the inlines. Could it be that its just the very long gap in exercise that's causing this, combined with the fact that hard shell boots/inline skates are completly new to me?
Old September 21st, 2016, 07:14 AM   #6
skatepedia

Default break in

ye, break in is a bitch...

2 things u can do till your shoes and feet "get inline":
take out the orthopedic sole beneath the liner (if your skates have one),
or skate with only the buckles without strenghtening the shoe laces

good luck and dont give up!
skatepedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2016, 02:44 PM   #7
Traffic Dancer

Having also recently returned to skating I also carefully measured my feet and bought a pair of Imperial megacruisers.....I didn't try molding them because I too found that they were uncomfortably tight out-of-the-box and sent them back.....I ended up getting megacruiser frames and putting them on my old low-cut fitness boots. Those are cut a lot shorter than the big Imperial boots so perhaps I suffered from pronation (and I had to make lateral adjustments of the frames a few times to find the sweet spot). Perhaps the Imperial boots are sufficiently high that you're only dealing with the fit issues and not pronation?
Traffic Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 12:55 AM   #8
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

When standing with your feet diredtly under your hip joints, the wheels should be perpendicular to the ground. Or maybe just ever so slightly supinated, which will make the cuff press into the inside spot of your legs.

Youll know if your supinating or pronating based on how the cuff pushes into your leg.

Cuffs can be used to brace your ankles, so ya dont wear them out.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 06:25 PM   #9
joshraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traffic Dancer View Post
Having also recently returned to skating I also carefully measured my feet and bought a pair of Imperial megacruisers.....I didn't try molding them because I too found that they were uncomfortably tight out-of-the-box and sent them back.....I ended up getting megacruiser frames and putting them on my old low-cut fitness boots. Those are cut a lot shorter than the big Imperial boots so perhaps I suffered from pronation (and I had to make lateral adjustments of the frames a few times to find the sweet spot). Perhaps the Imperial boots are sufficiently high that you're only dealing with the fit issues and not pronation?

Thanks for writing TD! at this point I'm still trying to figure out what works... keeping an open mind that the skates might break in over time also I will get used to inlines as time goes by. I have also put up a few ads for my skates and if the right buyer finds it I might sell them off and get something more comfortable. In the mean time I'm still looking at other options like changing the liners of the skates. Mine came with Fatboy liners that are very thick. How would you say the 2nd skin liners worked for you? I feel that if I had just a little more room in the skates I'd be ok...
Old September 23rd, 2016, 06:27 PM   #10
joshraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatepedia View Post
ye, break in is a bitch...

2 things u can do till your shoes and feet "get inline":
take out the orthopedic sole beneath the liner (if your skates have one),
or skate with only the buckles without strenghtening the shoe laces

good luck and dont give up!
Thank you! That seems to help. I removed the shoe laces completely and only fastned the buckles. It seems to be better. I tried this at home and will try it again when I hit the road with my inlines next time!
Old September 23rd, 2016, 06:31 PM   #11
joshraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
When standing with your feet diredtly under your hip joints, the wheels should be perpendicular to the ground. Or maybe just ever so slightly supinated, which will make the cuff press into the inside spot of your legs.

Youll know if your supinating or pronating based on how the cuff pushes into your leg.

Cuffs can be used to brace your ankles, so ya dont wear them out.
Thanks again Mort, I will check on that
Old November 29th, 2016, 11:48 PM   #12
ipixu78

Default Sore feet.

As you are Going from quads to inlines I wonder how sensitive the steering of your quad skates were. Perhaps the pain in your feet may also have a bit to do with your technique forcing the flat wheel setup into turns. There is an adjustment period. I only comment on this because I have moved from a banana rocker inline setup to a flat setup and have noticed increased foot fatigue And additional pains even with my super comfy boot. Happy rolling.
ipixu78 is offline   Reply With Quote