S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old April 2nd, 2019, 03:44 AM   #1
Chilli Jam

Default Falling hurts more than it used to... ouch!

Hi everyone, just sharing. I am supposed to suck it up after falling while skating, usually I do. Wrist-guards and knee pads help. I'm attending skate lessons to improve my general technique. During last week's skate lesson, I fell while attempting to turn 180 sharply in a small curve, with both skates together (parallel), some sort of Artistic move, me thinks. The instructor said I didn't have my weight far enough back on my heels and this is why my skates didn't turn properly with the rest of my body. Okay, advice taken on board, but I fell onto the leg bone joint in my left hip socket. Usually I fall on my softer fatty part, but not this time. Although it really hurt, the pain went down to my knee, I kept skating for the rest of the lesson. All is okay, I can walk the dog just fine, but sleeping on my side at night, the bone still really lets me know I hurt it. I worry that I am not recovering as quickly as I used to, 56 now, and what if I really damage something... I love skating! Probably will have to ask the coach to go easy on me this week
Old April 2nd, 2019, 12:51 PM   #2
Skatervideoguy

Hi Chilli Jam,

It doesn't get any better when you get past 70 !!

I would suggest you get some Hip and Tail Bone Padding going too. I've been wearing them, along with Elbo and Knee Pads for the last 40+ years - Only reason I can still Skate. At 6'9" and 220 lbs on my Skates, any falls I take are at risk for some kind of damage - and I tend to crash every other session out of a spin, jump, or some foot-work sequence. Coordination is not my strong suit, and as I age up, that isn't getting any better either.

Protect Yourself !

I've seen many a Skater not return from damage to Knee, Tail Bone, and Hip Injuries.

Skate Safe !

Harold
Old April 4th, 2019, 05:54 AM   #3
Chilli Jam

Hi Skatervideoguy, thanks for your advice and understanding

I do have a pair of those padded shorts somewhere in storage. Must get them out again. Wrist and knee guards I never skate without.

Lately, I've been trying new manoeuvres and seem to be falling onto my behind and hips mostly. I didn't go to training yesterday because my hip bone and joint still hurts, but not too much to be worried, mostly when I sit down or try sleeping in that side. It's a good wake-up call. We need to look after ourselves.

Cheers, Chilli
Old April 4th, 2019, 12:34 PM   #4
Skatervideoguy

Chilli Jam,

I forgot to mention that all these "Hit" type injuries tend to be Accumulative in nature. The more you take - the more damaged you get over time - Think FootBall. That also means the less Resistant / Resilient you get over time.

If you tend to Fall at all, then proper Padding is your only Defense.

Skate Safe !

Harold
Old April 13th, 2019, 12:28 AM   #5
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Ouch. Sorry for that fall. The hip bone is pretty big. If something were seriously wrong, it probably would have presented in pretty dramatic fashion. That is not to say, it won't hurt for a while. I fell once, just missing my tail bone by about an inch. I don't think I broke anything, but for at least 2 months I had the rather unpleasant feeling of something wanting to come up the back door. I haven't had one of those, right on a single spot falls in a long time. It is probably a good idea to stay active, even if the activity is a little less. Keeps good blood flow and all that. Should help the healing, provided you don't fall there again.
Old April 18th, 2019, 10:26 AM   #6
Tarninou

Hi.

By "tail bone", you mean coccyx ? You should be careful with this one. I agree that bones in the hip are large and strong, and that if one was broken, this will probably be obvious.

But the coccyx is probably something more fragile and complex, with joints and ligaments and things... You can mix all that parts and they won't automatically get back right in place by themselves.

If you have persistant pain here, can be "normal", but can also be something fixable. See a health pro can be an idea if the recovery takes too long I think.
Tarninou is offline   Reply With Quote