S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old June 22nd, 2015, 09:38 AM   #1
Kristof

Default Slalom with 94A wheels?

My schoolyear is almost over and I feel the urge to get back on my skates and pick up my freestyle practice I was looking at some slide videos on YouTube and I thought 'that's something I want to learn!' The guys in those videos make very very long slides, maybe they oiled the floor or maybe they just have harder wheels. I currently have Seba Street Invader wheels (80mm/84A).

I saw these UnderCover Powerblading wheels, they're 80mm and 94A, full radius.
http://www.grindhouse.eu/en/shop/rol...ll-radius.html

Do you think they will be any fun for both slalom, slides and normal skating outside? I'm affraid they're too slippery and don't absorb enough shocks, which makes them feel like cheap plastic wheels with a lot of noise.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Kristof; June 22nd, 2015 at 01:41 PM.
Kristof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 09:50 PM   #2
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Oooooh, tread carefully. The one thing you may notice is that if the ground is wet, you could fall harder than normal. The upside is that harder wheels seem to last longer for outdoor skating. Sliding would be easier, yes.

I'm on 87a right now and they are super slippery, it feels soooo much like ice skating, only that when I fall there is no sliding (like on ice). I'm actually thinking of going down a few durometers after a nasty fall and surgery (yup the ground was wet). But that's my issue.

Something that I do find strange though is how they are being marketed toward aggressive skaters for the two inside wheels. Why would any aggressive skater want to have 80mm wheels? Is this some new trend starting? I think I'll go over to that site and ask.

Be careful, but have fun and if you do decide to experiment please give details!!!
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 10:16 PM   #3
Kristof

Well aggressive skating with 72+mm wheels (often in combination with freeride/urban skating) is called 'powerblading'. Which is done by skating with an aggressive boot, with a 80mm or 76mm or 72mm frame. The 76mm and 72mm frames have room for a little H-block, this is an open space between the 2nd and 3rd wheel, used for grinding. The 80mm powerblading frames don't have an H-Block, so that's where these 80mm/94A wheels come in. If powerbladers put these very hard wheels in the middle (as 2nd and 3rd wheel), then they won't get stuck when doing grinds, as 94A might be so hard that they might slide almost as comfortably on rails as an H-block would.
Kristof is offline   Reply With Quote