S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old May 5th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #1
SpeedyLegs

Default Couple questions

Hello

I am a fairly new skater and i want to start doing slalom but i have a couple questions.

1. First off is there any website or quality videos that i can watch to learn basics of slalom.

2. Second is the banana rocker setup needed for slalom. Also if i do get the banana rocker setup can i skate normally with that setup or is it ONLY for slalom

3. Can someone explain wheel hardness to me. The difference between hard and soft. I have 84A hardness wheels. Is that a good slalom hardness

4. How do i parallel slide/slide stop. I have tried over and over again and i keep falling and don't even slide. Does it have something to do with my wheels or skates? Or can you only slide on certain surfaces.

Thanks so much.
SpeedyLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 05:41 AM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

1. Naomi Grigg. She's got a lot of videos. Watch good skaters on YouTube, imagine yourself doing the same thing. Learn how they move. The more you skate and know from watching, the better your chances for self improvement.

2. Rockers aren't needed. Some.people like them some don't. I would probably say for ease of movements most slalom skaters use a rockered setup. But statistically I haven't a clue.

3. Wheel hardness is the resistance of your wheels urethane to deform under pressure. The higher the number the harder the wheel. The harder the wheel the rougher it will feel if the skating surface is not smooth. Harder wheels are faster until terrain gets rough. A softer wheel will have more tolerance to surface imperfections, and actually be faster in such areas. Most outdoor wheels are 78-85A. Quality of urethane matters as well. Also the more a wheel is used the less "energy" it will feel like it has. Think of wheels like a "high bounce" ball. After so many bounces(rolls) it will eventually not bounce as high as it once did. Higher durometer numbers typically have less rebound, but not always.

Wheels are the most important thing on your skates that you can readily change. Bearings are crap. Save your money to keep nice wheels on your skates over bearings any day. Just don't let your bearings get too dirty or rust up .

4. Learn to turn hard, so hard that you don't have the traction for it. That is the essence of a slide in a nutshell. I wouldn't worry about slides. Unless your learning them for stopping ability, there are a LOT more edging drills you could be doing that will help build the skills needed for sliding.
Old May 6th, 2015, 09:56 PM   #3
SVT CAMR
At the rink!

Here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/user/kompakombo/featured
Many levels to play with.

The rocker is not needed but I sure like it. Once you go rocker you never go back.

84a is a good durometer good for inside and out. remember the harder the wheel the faster you go. I don't do slides but the harder the wheel the better for slides. The higher the number the harder the wheel. The higher the number means less grip is some cases.

Practice makes perfect and there is no substitute for skate time. The more you skate the better your balance will be.

I personally cannot learn from videos when it comes to skating. I tried it and feel lost. I wish Naomi lived around here!
Old May 6th, 2015, 10:05 PM   #4
SVT CAMR
At the rink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Wheels are the most important thing on your skates that you can readily change. Bearings are crap. Save your money to keep nice wheels on your skates over bearings any day. Just don't let your bearings get too dirty or rust up .
So true!
Old May 10th, 2015, 05:35 AM   #5
kev0

agree with all of the above posters. videos are second best to skating with an actual person who does slalom.

another group of skating tutorials are the munobal ones on youtube. just youtube munobal

finally, my two cents in the banana rocker is that if you plan on doing slalom that the rocker is incredibly incredibly needed (but not absolutely strictly essential). to put it in perspective, i'm willing to go out on a leg and say that 100% of slalom skaters who compete in events are on a rocker set-up. there ARE tricks that dont particularly benefit from a rocker (i.e tricks on one wheels) but in general, the more maneuverability the better when it comes to tricks that involve turning (almost all of them)

you can definitely use rocker setup in general skating, street skating. any type of skating barring speed (nothing stopping you from actually using it, but just saying there is no advantages in rocker setup in speed skating).
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 11:54 PM   #6
GregT

Like another poster, I've found the Naomi Grigg resources very useful (well, OK, she used to coach me for a while, so maybe I'm biased ...).

She has some standard "demonstrate trick" videos, which are useful like the others cited.

Much more useful, are her full-blown tutorials, which are very in-depth and well designed.

The tutorials are the newer, longer videos made by Naomi in the last 1-2 years. They are split across 2 youtube channels:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzw...oB_mmuw/videos

and

https://www.youtube.com/user/SkateFreestyleMenu/videos

She also has a slalom book (soft-cover and kindle), which is excellent and up-to-date, having been published in the last year:

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Falling-Fr...art+of+falling
GregT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 05:12 AM   #7
shesk8

Certainly agree on no. #1 Naomi- queen bee of slalom moves!

no. 2 you can do a flat frame and use smaller wheels for front & rear wheel and achieve the same rocker. gives you more flexibility to take them out urban skating, not just for slalom. I prefer all 4 on the ground cruising around town, and rocked for practicing cones.

no.3 . yes, 84a-85a are good hardnesses. anything softer will melt away once you get good t this stuff. any harder, and they wont grip when you need them.

no. 4 I notice in a lot of vids they are doing this on damp /wet, which helps you to slide. not attempted it, nor is it on my list. I got the hockey side slide down on ice, but on wheels, forget it. if the wheels just catch lightly you're catapulting yourself somewhere other than where you want to be...
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 03:48 PM   #8
SVT CAMR
At the rink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT View Post
Like another poster, I've found the Naomi Grigg resources very useful (well, OK, she used to coach me for a while, so maybe I'm biased ...).

She has some standard "demonstrate trick" videos, which are useful like the others cited.

Much more useful, are her full-blown tutorials, which are very in-depth and well designed.

The tutorials are the newer, longer videos made by Naomi in the last 1-2 years. They are split across 2 youtube channels:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzw...oB_mmuw/videos

and

https://www.youtube.com/user/SkateFreestyleMenu/videos

She also has a slalom book (soft-cover and kindle), which is excellent and up-to-date, having been published in the last year:

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Falling-Fr...art+of+falling
OMG!!!! How did I miss these videos of her demonstrations. I just watched the crazy vid and I now know what she is saying about the "Art of falling"

The first videos last year that I found of her skating were very short. Thank Greg I watch and try to learn from these vids. (as close as a real lesson as you can get)