S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old January 30th, 2018, 05:14 AM   #1
ese002

Default Skater horn?

I'm looking at getting a horn to alert oblivious drivers that they are about to do something stupid like pull out out of driveway in the path of a skater doing 30+.

It might also be useful if I were to repeat New York 100K as encouragement to recreational cyclist to clear a path.

I actually purchased an aerosol horn a few months back but the canister arrived empty. I gather that is a common problem with these kinds of horns. Even if you can avoid self discharge, you only get a handful of blasts before the gas runs out. It may not work when I need it and it certainly won't do for the 19 laps of New York 100K.

A small, electric Bicycle Horn looks like a more practical solution but there any non-obvious practical considerations to work out. All the ones I have found and mean to be bar-mounted and often have a remote activator.

Has anyone here used a horn while skating? Which one? How did you carry it?
ese002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2018, 05:18 AM   #2
wyodinosaur

Default A coach's whistle maybe

Do you think a coach's whistle would be loud enough? It might work and it would be very easy to carry.
wyodinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2018, 02:23 PM   #3
ursle
Street Skater

I agree with the whistle.

Personally, I spend lots of hours on a road bike and am very aware of what's going on, and have many-many times stopped people moving into my path with my voice.
What irks me are cars and trucks with the drivers window darkened, when I can't see the drivers eyes I'm not going to get in front of them, they can wait until I see them tru the windshield or open their front window, as I slowly roll by, vs keep the usual speed, if they don't like it I just laugh, I'm not the lawbreaker, I'm the on trying not to get hit.

Twice I've had cars on my right, knowing I was there, turn left on me into a driveway, ha, I just slap up against the car and ride the turn with them coming to a stop, then I give them some loud commentary. They get dents in the roof where I pound, letting them know they have a passenger
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2018, 12:13 AM   #4
nickajshelden
Blades

practice your whistle. a fingers-in-the-mouth or a through-the-teeth can be every bit as shrill and loud as an air horn. I use the through-the-teeth a lot. Usually though I've found that if I alert other people to my presence, they try to dodge and usually end up making the situation worse. I'll take a tight margin that's predictable over unpredictability. I only whistle when i really have to.
Old April 6th, 2018, 02:34 AM   #5
Skatervideoguy

Hi ese002,

You are quite right to be concerned about your Safety when Skating on the Street. It's generally quite Dangerous to do, even more so than riding a Bike on the Street. You're a very Small - Moving- Target to be Seen against most every Environment you're in much smaller than every Motor Cycle, Car, and Truck on the Road.

Most of us are dependent on our Eyesight to do most all our activities, like Skating and Driving. In most States you only need 20/40 Vision in one eye to get a License. That's not nearly as good as 20/20 with both eyes. Lots of folks Driving don't See as well as you might think. So even less chance of seeing You. So DO NOT Assume that you will be easily seen, you won't. Assume everybody else is Seeing 20/40 out of one eye (less distance and peripheral Vision).

DO NOT Assume that anyone can Hear any of those Noise Devices your considering, or your Yelling at them. There are some folks that are Deaf, and many others with Hearing Impairment (and lots of them don't wear Hearing Aids). So it's also best assume that you won't be Heard. Not to mention the Rolled Up Windows, Better Sound Deadening used in Vehicles, and of Course the Radios and Cell Phones. Also, many folks just are not Listening or Watching out.

Sooo, your Best Option is to Dress in the Bright or Fluorescent type of Shirts and Pants/Shorts and Helmets, and perhaps one of those Bright Flashing LED Lites on your Helmet that will make YOU Maximally VISABLE, and then Skate as Defensively as you can. Even Drivers with 20/20 Vision in both eyes, are not generally looking for Skaters or Bikers rolling down the Street. Maybe they should be, but it's not likely they are.

Anything Less, is putting your Life & Limb in someone else's hands. It's always up to You to protect yourself !!

This is all based on my observations over 57+ years of Driving, and 60+ years of Skating experience.

Safe Skating !!

Harold
Old April 6th, 2018, 10:53 PM   #6
nickajshelden
Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatervideoguy View Post
Hi ese002,

You are quite right to be concerned about your Safety when Skating on the Street. It's generally quite Dangerous to do, even more so than riding a Bike on the Street. You're a very Small - Moving- Target to be Seen against most every Environment you're in much smaller than every Motor Cycle, Car, and Truck on the Road.

Most of us are dependent on our Eyesight to do most all our activities, like Skating and Driving. In most States you only need 20/40 Vision in one eye to get a License. That's not nearly as good as 20/20 with both eyes. Lots of folks Driving don't See as well as you might think. So even less chance of seeing You. So DO NOT Assume that you will be easily seen, you won't. Assume everybody else is Seeing 20/40 out of one eye (less distance and peripheral Vision).

DO NOT Assume that anyone can Hear any of those Noise Devices your considering, or your Yelling at them. There are some folks that are Deaf, and many others with Hearing Impairment (and lots of them don't wear Hearing Aids). So it's also best assume that you won't be Heard. Not to mention the Rolled Up Windows, Better Sound Deadening used in Vehicles, and of Course the Radios and Cell Phones. Also, many folks just are not Listening or Watching out.

Sooo, your Best Option is to Dress in the Bright or Fluorescent type of Shirts and Pants/Shorts and Helmets, and perhaps one of those Bright Flashing LED Lites on your Helmet that will make YOU Maximally VISABLE, and then Skate as Defensively as you can. Even Drivers with 20/20 Vision in both eyes, are not generally looking for Skaters or Bikers rolling down the Street. Maybe they should be, but it's not likely they are.

Anything Less, is putting your Life & Limb in someone else's hands. It's always up to You to protect yourself !!

This is all based on my observations over 57+ years of Driving, and 60+ years of Skating experience.

Safe Skating !!

Harold

+1

it may be tacky to summarily quote for such, but here it really is true....