S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old February 27th, 2015, 06:04 PM   #1661
betrlyf

Default Hello from Virginia

Hello, my name is Tim.

Iím a semi-old man of 54 and Iíve been skating since I was about five. I retired from active skating due to a motorcycle accident about 15 years ago but due to having younger kids, 10 & 11, that want to skate, Iím back in. We live in Virginia and skate mostly in Harrisonburg.

I still have my archaic speed skates that were Ďall the rageí back in the late 70s and early 80s when I was the King of the Rink! Those were the days, haha.

Let me see; Riedell 265 boots, SG Cyclone plate, Hartford Gold bearings in Hyper Big Rig wheels. At the time I was speed skating they were very fast skates, but now Iím sure they seem like dinosaurs although they are still quite nice.

I'm interested in getting into a local derby league. Things have really changed on that front since the 70's. Still looks fun though.
betrlyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 06:39 PM   #1662
okcskater
Still rollin' @ 57

Default Hello from OKC, OK

Hey, kinda posted an intro in another place, but here I am. I am Paul, be 56 next month and love to skate. Do indoor quads, recently picked up some Riddell R3's after using a set of speed skates for over 35 years. Skate at Skate Galaxy mostly. Looking to go with some outdoor quads soon as the weather allows. Been skating for almost 50 years!
okcskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 02:28 AM   #1663
tobo

In and from Orange county. just dusted off my old spiritblades and noticed the strap is broke
tobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 02:55 AM   #1664
cloudofsound

Default Hey

Hey, been lurking around here for a few days and have now joined.
Just getting back into skating after about 20 years..mostly for fitness and to have something outside of work so my head doesnt explode! but also,to keep my balance and core strong..but since researching it all again i have fallen in love with the idea of Slalom!
Ive ordered some Sebas.. on their way.
Have some lessons coming up too.
Im excited to get back into it. Cant wait...gonna takea lot of practice.
cloudofsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 12:49 PM   #1665
steadyeddie
Ed Stednowski

Default Hello from New Joisey

Posted this in the "why do you skate" thread:
Quote:
My dad always said. I came out of my mother's womb wearing a set of quads. Played roller hockey in various local leagues and places in the Metro NY/NJ area, from the age of 10 till the age of 52. I watched the transition of men playing in quads to inlines. Tried inlines, but my feet will be forever glued to quads. After a string of injuries, I decided it was time to hang them up. I figured, if Gordie Howe retired at the age of 51, it was time for me too. Sat around, gained weight, and was extremely bored. I just needed to lace them up, so I went to an open skate at a local rink, and I haven't stopped. It's like, there's this whole other world of skating that I never knew, with friendly people who love skating as much as I do. I'm learning as much as I can about artistic, shuffle, and even jam skating. Went to skate in Central Park for the first time last summer, and had the time of my life.

The best thing about skating, it's "low-impact," so I'm not killing my knees and ankles the way running does.
To add to this, it's funny how most people my age remember their first skates that we got as kids. The ones that clamped over your shoes and had a leather strap that wrapped around the ankles. If you had a set of these, the skate key that came with them was worth its weight in gold. I remember graduating up to my first set of Roller Derby skates. Even with metal wheels, it changed everything. The next change were Kryptos wheels. I remember saving my paper delivery money for weeks just to come up with the $35 it cost for a set of 8. Back then, $35 was a fortune to a 14 year old kid.

Sadly, I missed the Roller Derby boat. Though I would have loved to have played, Derby fizzled out when I got old enough to play. Now that it's back, I'm probably too old to play. When I inquired a year ago about a local league, the first question they asked was, "you got health insurance?" That to me was a warning. If I'm going to risk injury, I'd rather try skatepark skating. This looks amazing, and I plan on giving it a try as soon as the weather permits.

Roll-Bounce,
Eddie
Old March 9th, 2015, 04:08 AM   #1666
Jolaina

Hi!

I'm Jolaina. I live in Canada, have three children, a cat, and an Alaskan Malamute.

I haven't skated, in any fashion, for over a decade and decided to pick it back up. Ordering some skates tomorrow (hopefully) and plan to mush with my dog in the snowless months. May get into derby, if I fancy it enough, and plan to skate to work (Hello sexy legs!)

Excited to be here with you all!

Cheers!
Jolaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 05:05 AM   #1667
mimi's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolaina View Post
Hi!

I'm Jolaina. I live in Canada, have three children, a cat, and an Alaskan Malamute.

I haven't skated, in any fashion, for over a decade and decided to pick it back up. Ordering some skates tomorrow (hopefully) and plan to mush with my dog in the snowless months. May get into derby, if I fancy it enough, and plan to skate to work (Hello sexy legs!)

Excited to be here with you all!

Cheers!
welcome and yes your legs will look awesome

Skate fast!

mimi's dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2015, 05:44 AM   #1668
RollerDiva

Default Hi!

Hello! My name is Lynn and I live in Memphis. I starting skating again March 7th and I'm so happy I did. I've only been to the local skating rinks, but I want to start skating outdoors. I'm a little nervous about it, but I'm going to suck it up and get some fresh air.
RollerDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 02:06 AM   #1669
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerDiva View Post
Hello! My name is Lynn and I live in Memphis. I starting skating again March 7th and I'm so happy I did. I've only been to the local skating rinks, but I want to start skating outdoors. I'm a little nervous about it, but I'm going to suck it up and get some fresh air.
Welcome, quad or inline?
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 04:41 AM   #1670
RollerDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
Welcome, quad or inline?
I have both, but I've only used my quads.
RollerDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 07:15 PM   #1671
foobert

Thumbs up What's old is new again...

Howdy folks!

Firstly, a huge thank you to our hosts for the providing a space for all of us, and a hearty thanks to all the contributors that make this space great.

I skated the 80's away on quads. In the late 90's, I jumped on the inlines. My wife has recently rostered on the local derby league, and she's prodded me into reffing for the team. So, now I'm heading back to quads.

Boots and plates are on the way and my first hack at mounting to follow. I also love fiddling around in the machine shop. Picked up a set of Sure Grip Super X's plates at a garage sale that I'm gonna tweak and turn into some sneaker skates for my wife.

Should be a fun adventure!
foobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 08:02 PM   #1672
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerDiva View Post
I have both, but I've only used my quads.
Just ask because most find inlines a bit nicer outdoors.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 08:10 PM   #1673
Mcostello

Default New member.

I am Mark Costello, I have a small machine shop and am involved in the Columbus Ohio indoor roller skating scene. I am not co-ordinated enough to skate. My sense of balance is not good. What I do is that I custom repair skate wheels by making the diameters to size specified by the customers. I have made wheels as small as 30 mm. I have made Tool steel wheels not much bigger than the axles, to suit a customer. I have also made solid copper wheels.that shine like they are on fire. I need more work and would like to post a message on the forum. Since I don't skate I would not post much, but I can offer a service that some may want.Will post pictures later.Thank You, Mark.
Mcostello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 02:24 AM   #1674
Fancy-Kerrigan

How have I not posted on this thread yet? They call me Fancy. I'm married to the love of my life, Got Sk8s. We met on SLF and got married on skates at Spin Nations in Port Richie, FL.

Been skating since I was 2.....about 40 years. First on my knees, then dad coached me in Art skating in the street in front of my house. Didn't hit the rink till I was a teenager. Boyfriend coached me in speed skating and shuffle skating. In my late 30s I joined a Derby team . I loved it! I became a single mom at 39 and retired from derby.

I still skate indoors and out every week. I am blessed that our kids and my husband share my love of skating. My dad still skates too. 3 generations of skaters. <3
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 09:15 AM   #1675
FRGL1

I'm male, struggle to remember I'm 23 years old, and live in North California's South Bay Area. I have a lot of outdoor hobbies but grew up playing lots of video games and writing fanfictions I'm not entirely proud to share (well, some of them I would happily share). As far as writing goes, I've been having writer's block for about 5 years, so I'd say I'm retired from fanfiction, for now, I constantly say to myself.

I'm also passionate about rhythm games, to the point of fanboyism, and strongly dislike the majority of Western "attempts" at the music gaming industry. Rock Band is pretty sweet, though.

I recently started Inline Skating and it's currently my primary mode of transportation outside of a car. I subscribe to the Urban and Freestyle/Slalom disciplines, though I plan to start Ice Skating too, to improve my form. I also play Ingress on skates because I think it's pretty badass, even though nobody in America thinks skating is cool anymore.

I also have a soundtrack to my life. What does that mean? Well, it means that wherever it's inappropriate to say it's inappropriate (you read right), I play music very loudly. Constantly.
FRGL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 04:38 PM   #1676
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Welcome! Skating is very alive in America and is gaining ground quickly at the skateparks with the skateboarders and BMX's. I've seen a huge increase in the past 8 years.

Do you ever skate upside down? Once you go upside down, you never want to go back upright.
Old March 24th, 2015, 10:04 PM   #1677
steadyeddie
Ed Stednowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Kerrigan View Post
How have I not posted on this thread yet? They call me Fancy. I'm married to the love of my life, Got Sk8s. We met on SLF and got married on skates at Spin Nations in Port Richie, FL.

Been skating since I was 2.....about 40 years. First on my knees, then dad coached me in Art skating in the street in front of my house. Didn't hit the rink till I was a teenager. Boyfriend coached me in speed skating and shuffle skating. In my late 30s I joined a Derby team . I loved it! I became a single mom at 39 and retired from derby.

I still skate indoors and out every week. I am blessed that our kids and my husband share my love of skating. My dad still skates too. 3 generations of skaters. <3
Great story! Thanks for sharing. Married on skates? Pics or I'll believe it never happened.
Old March 25th, 2015, 02:27 AM   #1678
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyeddie View Post
Great story! Thanks for sharing. Married on skates? Pics or I'll believe it never happened.
Here's your pics

Old March 25th, 2015, 09:07 PM   #1679
steadyeddie
Ed Stednowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsk8s View Post
Here's your pics
Fantastic!
Old March 27th, 2015, 05:11 PM   #1680
Fancy-Kerrigan

There is another picture of the kiss floating around. Bont put it on their FB page last summer. That was our 15 minutes of fame
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote