S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old September 12th, 2019, 03:56 AM   #1
Analog Kid

Default Help me narrow it down - plates

I'm new to the forum (and forums in general so sorry in advance for any faux pas)

I recently discovered damage to the dynapro plates that came with my skates, and after extensive plate research I've gotten my choices down to 4 upgrade options:

Roll line dance: Pros: I like the angle of the trucks, they have good reviews, machined from high quality aluminum, much more responsive than what I have without sacrificing strength. Cons: the priciest, and I've heard that the cushions and wheels are not interchangeable with my current setup, and possibly difficult to source or expensive to replace

Snyder Royals: Pros: similar responsiveness, angle of action, and quality to roll line but cost less, have a nice classic cool aesthetic, drop forged from high quality aluminum, and apparently the trucks are interchangeable with the stronger imperial trucks if I anticipate putting the whump on them. Cons: still a bit higher than some other options, I'm unsure how to navigate purchase considering that production materials and quality may have changed and currently available plates may not reflect the excellence suggested by older reviews. Still my top choice of plate so far.

Sure Grip double action reverse kingpin xk-4: Pros: My father has been skating on the single action old school version of these plates for the last 42 years, in all terrains and has put them through jumps, tricks, races, and I know they are a reasonably unbreakable plate. They're made of drop forged aluminum, the angle I want, the jump bar looks snazzy as hell Cons: I can't seem to find any reviews of how they actually skate, my father can't really provide much insight because he has nothing to compare them to. CHEAP, wouldn't bat an eye to purchase them. Again, quality of materials and production may have changed in the modern age so I'm not sure how they hold up today, especially in DA. HEAVY. I don't really mind weight but I may in future as I improve.

Some 4th option: I want a plate with somewhere around 45* trucks, machined or drop forged but NO CAST, I would consider magnesium but I'm not sure how well they hold up to a lifetime of skating and also... Could I light myself on mega fire??? I've had avengers recommended to me and I'm not sure about the aesthetic but functionality and durability are of the utmost importance to me so I'm considering.

My skating style: I skate mostly in the rink (some limited outdoor skating in city streets or in the skate park ramps and bowls), I do a lot of one and two footed spins, spinning and skating on my toes, going for smooth and powerful. I have difficulty in my current plates getting deep enough into an edge, as well as switching edges. I have good balance, good flexibility, not so great at fast lateral motion but I'm somewhat new to skating still so I suspect it's a lack of confidence in jumping around. Looking forward to improving the number of rotations on my spins, control overall, and hoping to progress to jumps of all kinds. Still debating my need for toe stops. These are going to be partially or fully purchased as a birthday present for me so price isn't a real concern, just a consideration.

Any advice, plates that might suit me, or information I might need about the plates would be greatly appreciated!!
Analog Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 08:42 AM   #2
Oicusk82huh

Default Everyone is biased

What I said, everyone is going to be biased to their own plate. So I am too. If you like spinning on your toes and looking smooth, you could go without a toe stop. The toe stops are usually for people that like artistic skating, for landing. But, I just re-read your thread, bowl-skating and ramps may need a toe stop.

I am a rhythm skater. I skate technically, a lot of cones and footwork. I went with a Roll Line Giotto. No toe stop. I wouldn't trade it for anything on the planet. It was the best decision I ever made. It is really light and allows for super deep edges. One footed spins are SO easy. 3 turns, (or pivots) are simple. Heal work, easy. The Giotto allows for REALLY deep grapevines and exaggerated dips. So my recommendation comes from my experience. I tried two other Roll Line Plates, (the Mistral and the Matrix), but the toe stops is what kept me from loving them (even though I used a jam plug).

The next best part about Roll Line, is the simplicity of changing out parts. They are sooooo simple to take completely apart to change the cushions. Worth every penny. The bearings are 7mm. (Snyder takes the same size I believe).

Everyone has good advice here. I'd say, just try to figure out who skates the most similarly to you, and go with that advice. Good luck!
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 09:49 AM   #3
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Anything roll line really.
I,m not a fan of the avenger {mag] Its to heavy for what it is..
Old September 13th, 2019, 05:57 AM   #4
Analog Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
What I said, everyone is going to be biased to their own plate. So I am too. If you like spinning on your toes and looking smooth, you could go without a toe stop. The toe stops are usually for people that like artistic skating, for landing. But, I just re-read your thread, bowl-skating and ramps may need a toe stop.

I am a rhythm skater. I skate technically, a lot of cones and footwork. I went with a Roll Line Giotto. No toe stop. I wouldn't trade it for anything on the planet. It was the best decision I ever made. It is really light and allows for super deep edges. One footed spins are SO easy. 3 turns, (or pivots) are simple. Heal work, easy. The Giotto allows for REALLY deep grapevines and exaggerated dips. So my recommendation comes from my experience. I tried two other Roll Line Plates, (the Mistral and the Matrix), but the toe stops is what kept me from loving them (even though I used a jam plug).

The next best part about Roll Line, is the simplicity of changing out parts. They are sooooo simple to take completely apart to change the cushions. Worth every penny. The bearings are 7mm. (Snyder takes the same size I believe).

Everyone has good advice here. I'd say, just try to figure out who skates the most similarly to you, and go with that advice. Good luck!
The toe stop really helps getting out of the bowls but I just do a pull up and mantle so they aren't a necessity but a huge convenience.

When you say simplicity of changing parts on the roll line, what did you mean? I've never had great difficulty adjusting my skates but I've done very little adjustment besides loosening the trucks as far as I dare.

One thing that concerns me is that my skates have a washer to separate each wheel/bearing from where the axle attaches and I'm always worried about losing them when I change my wheels or do maintenance. My dad's plates have a small washer shaped bit of metal that is part of the plate and therefore can't be lost. Are the washers built in on the roll line or completely unnecessary in the first place?
Old September 13th, 2019, 06:01 AM   #5
Analog Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post
Anything roll line really.
I,m not a fan of the avenger {mag] Its to heavy for what it is..
Do you know if they require specific wheels or specialty parts beyond the cushions? Particularly with regards to tools necessary to make adjustments, will my trusty skate key work?
Old September 13th, 2019, 12:12 PM   #6
fierocious1

Avengers. LOL Good plate and dependable.

Last edited by fierocious1; September 13th, 2019 at 11:54 PM.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2019, 12:26 PM   #7
emtdpf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Kid View Post
The toe stop really helps getting out of the bowls but I just do a pull up and mantle so they aren't a necessity but a huge convenience.

When you say simplicity of changing parts on the roll line, what did you mean? I've never had great difficulty adjusting my skates but I've done very little adjustment besides loosening the trucks as far as I dare.

One thing that concerns me is that my skates have a washer to separate each wheel/bearing from where the axle attaches and I'm always worried about losing them when I change my wheels or do maintenance. My dad's plates have a small washer shaped bit of metal that is part of the plate and therefore can't be lost. Are the washers built in on the roll line or completely unnecessary in the first place?
The washer question..... I have a Mariner Cup from Roll Line.

It depends on which wheel you use.
Some wheels, like the 101A, needs that spacer because it rides way to close to the truck, due to the bearing not sitting flush ..... some other wheels have a built in...I guess, kind of angle to them on the back side that kick them away from the trucks., or the bearings sit a little more flush.

I have to use a small washer when I put my 101a's on, and I have to take off the washer when I use the STDs..........yeah, its a pain, but I have extras of those small washers... inexpensive.....
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2019, 04:53 AM   #8
Analog Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtdpf View Post
The washer question..... I have a Mariner Cup from Roll Line.

It depends on which wheel you use.
Some wheels, like the 101A, needs that spacer because it rides way to close to the truck, due to the bearing not sitting flush ..... some other wheels have a built in...I guess, kind of angle to them on the back side that kick them away from the trucks., or the bearings sit a little more flush.

I have to use a small washer when I put my 101a's on, and I have to take off the washer when I use the STDs..........yeah, its a pain, but I have extras of those small washers... inexpensive.....
I'll try some standard wheels without the washer and see what happens
Old September 14th, 2019, 05:56 AM   #9
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

If weight is a factor, skip the xk4. Its ridiculous for weight.

Avenger is a good lower budget choice. It is durable. They take a lot of abuse, quite a few people use those plates outdoors,. I've heard that magnesium is a bit easier to skate outdoors as it will quell vibrations of the road a tiny bit better than aluminum. Personally never tested that.

Loads of people love snyder Royals though I'm not sure if anyone skates them outdoors. I have not had any chances to roll them myself. They arent light, but they arent as heavy as an xk IIRC

If you're considering outdoor skating a nice plate is a SureGrip probe plate. Its a plastic baseplate, yes the trucks are cast, but the dampening it can offer outdoors is quite nice.

Roll*Line stuff is always top notch. Really cant go wrong with their gear, although you will probably pay alot for about the same performance as anything else out there.

Get a plate with a toestop boss is my recommendation. Unless you're going to make an Aussie mount with an axle as far forward as possible for speed, having a jam plug at the very least will help protect your boots tip/toebox a little, where a NTS plate may not.

7mm or 8mm axles isnt an issue much, but it can make a difference with things. That's a long explanation though, and mainly has to do with the bearings and how much play there is between the axle OD and the bearing ID bore.

My personal plate is a Powerdyne Arius. Very light, very connected to the ground. Lower deck height than the avenger and significantly less weight. It's a great choice IF you know what you're getting into, as there are several things that need doctored up. I've had 2 plates of them myself. I wore out the first one and made modification to the setup, so there are several things that need addressing if that ever becomes a choice option, you'd need to know how to set them up the right way and would need to buy some of the shims I had made.

They also dont do as well outdoors because of the way the trucks connect to the plate. They arent dampened by a cushion. The arius trucks swing on a hinge, and you feel a lot more of the skating surface because of that. I still use mine outdoor, but it's a decent bit more rough than a probe plate.

I also wouldnt recommend an arius to a newer skater. They tend to have a feel as if they are on a needle fine edge and dont have a "center" which is somewhat true. It's a hinge, and eventually laps in a little in the center more than the edges, develops a low spot and rolls straight after some hours of use.
Old September 14th, 2019, 02:51 PM   #10
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
I'm new to the forum (and forums in general so sorry in advance for any faux pas)

I recently discovered damage to the dynapro plates that came with my skates, and after extensive plate research I've gotten my choices down to 4 upgrade options:

Roll line dance: Pros: I like the angle of the trucks, they have good reviews, machined from high quality aluminum, much more responsive than what I have without sacrificing strength. Cons: the priciest, and I've heard that the cushions and wheels are not interchangeable with my current setup, and possibly difficult to source or expensive to replace

Snyder Royals: Pros: similar responsiveness, angle of action, and quality to roll line but cost less, have a nice classic cool aesthetic, drop forged from high quality aluminum, and apparently the trucks are interchangeable with the stronger imperial trucks if I anticipate putting the whump on them. Cons: still a bit higher than some other options, I'm unsure how to navigate purchase considering that production materials and quality may have changed and currently available plates may not reflect the excellence suggested by older reviews. Still my top choice of plate so far.

Sure Grip double action reverse kingpin xk-4: Pros: My father has been skating on the single action old school version of these plates for the last 42 years, in all terrains and has put them through jumps, tricks, races, and I know they are a reasonably unbreakable plate. They're made of drop forged aluminum, the angle I want, the jump bar looks snazzy as hell Cons: I can't seem to find any reviews of how they actually skate, my father can't really provide much insight because he has nothing to compare them to. CHEAP, wouldn't bat an eye to purchase them. Again, quality of materials and production may have changed in the modern age so I'm not sure how they hold up today, especially in DA. HEAVY. I don't really mind weight but I may in future as I improve.

Some 4th option: I want a plate with somewhere around 45* trucks, machined or drop forged but NO CAST, I would consider magnesium but I'm not sure how well they hold up to a lifetime of skating and also... Could I light myself on mega fire??? I've had avengers recommended to me and I'm not sure about the aesthetic but functionality and durability are of the utmost importance to me so I'm considering.

My skating style: I skate mostly in the rink (some limited outdoor skating in city streets or in the skate park ramps and bowls), I do a lot of one and two footed spins, spinning and skating on my toes, going for smooth and powerful. I have difficulty in my current plates getting deep enough into an edge, as well as switching edges. I have good balance, good flexibility, not so great at fast lateral motion but I'm somewhat new to skating still so I suspect it's a lack of confidence in jumping around. Looking forward to improving the number of rotations on my spins, control overall, and hoping to progress to jumps of all kinds. Still debating my need for toe stops. These are going to be partially or fully purchased as a birthday present for me so price isn't a real concern, just a consideration.

Any advice, plates that might suit me, or information I might need about the plates would be greatly appreciated!!
Welcome,
Good choices, you want something around 45* hmmm
But your skating style, lot's of toe spins is calling for an 18-21 degree plate, much more stable on two wheels or on the ramps.
Guessing you have high boots and lace them all the way up for ankle strength for spins, D/A45's with boots laced all the way up seem's like overkill, low top boot's allow ankle flexibility, which is what D/A45's are all about.

Roll-line is 18-21 degrees, and there are lot's of roll-line knock off's, roll-line plates like roll-line wheels, and roll-line makes great outdoor and indoor wheels, and....the wheels fit on and make less of a footprint, exactly what spins require.
The Snyder Advantage plate is a Roll-Line Killer, it's less expensive and made in the USA according to the Boss.(Bruce)
Full Disclosure, I only skate outdoors, I'm on Magnesium D/A45's with Roll-Line Helium wheels.
https://www.derbywarehouse.com/Roll-...e-STRUHEU.html
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2019, 09:45 PM   #11
Analog Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Welcome,
Good choices, you want something around 45* hmmm
But your skating style, lot's of toe spins is calling for an 18-21 degree plate, much more stable on two wheels or on the ramps.
Guessing you have high boots and lace them all the way up for ankle strength for spins, D/A45's with boots laced all the way up seem's like overkill, low top boot's allow ankle flexibility, which is what D/A45's are all about.

Roll-line is 18-21 degrees, and there are lot's of roll-line knock off's, roll-line plates like roll-line wheels, and roll-line makes great outdoor and indoor wheels, and....the wheels fit on and make less of a footprint, exactly what spins require.
The Snyder Advantage plate is a Roll-Line Killer, it's less expensive and made in the USA according to the Boss.(Bruce)
Full Disclosure, I only skate outdoors, I'm on Magnesium D/A45's with Roll-Line Helium wheels.
https://www.derbywarehouse.com/Roll-...e-STRUHEU.html
My boots are low cut though I do tie them securely. I haven't felt a need for more ankle stability for spins since I rely on balance more than strength for spins. I like having ankle room for moves like the coffin and just general comfort. Might have to get a tall boot when I start jumping.

I wasn't aware that roll line made outdoor wheels but since trying my Rollerbones I've gotten attached to the feel of the thin wheel and have only been able to find that on indoor wheels. Do they have a compromise between the 15 and the 45? Like a 30?
Old September 14th, 2019, 10:01 PM   #12
Analog Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
If weight is a factor, skip the xk4. Its ridiculous for weight.

Avenger is a good lower budget choice. It is durable. They take a lot of abuse, quite a few people use those plates outdoors,. I've heard that magnesium is a bit easier to skate outdoors as it will quell vibrations of the road a tiny bit better than aluminum. Personally never tested that.

Loads of people love snyder Royals though I'm not sure if anyone skates them outdoors. I have not had any chances to roll them myself. They arent light, but they arent as heavy as an xk IIRC

If you're considering outdoor skating a nice plate is a SureGrip probe plate. Its a plastic baseplate, yes the trucks are cast, but the dampening it can offer outdoors is quite nice.

Roll*Line stuff is always top notch. Really cant go wrong with their gear, although you will probably pay alot for about the same performance as anything else out there.

Get a plate with a toestop boss is my recommendation. Unless you're going to make an Aussie mount with an axle as far forward as possible for speed, having a jam plug at the very least will help protect your boots tip/toebox a little, where a NTS plate may not.

7mm or 8mm axles isnt an issue much, but it can make a difference with things. That's a long explanation though, and mainly has to do with the bearings and how much play there is between the axle OD and the bearing ID bore.

My personal plate is a Powerdyne Arius. Very light, very connected to the ground. Lower deck height than the avenger and significantly less weight. It's a great choice IF you know what you're getting into, as there are several things that need doctored up. I've had 2 plates of them myself. I wore out the first one and made modification to the setup, so there are several things that need addressing if that ever becomes a choice option, you'd need to know how to set them up the right way and would need to buy some of the shims I had made.

They also dont do as well outdoors because of the way the trucks connect to the plate. They arent dampened by a cushion. The arius trucks swing on a hinge, and you feel a lot more of the skating surface because of that. I still use mine outdoor, but it's a decent bit more rough than a probe plate.

I also wouldnt recommend an arius to a newer skater. They tend to have a feel as if they are on a needle fine edge and dont have a "center" which is somewhat true. It's a hinge, and eventually laps in a little in the center more than the edges, develops a low spot and rolls straight after some hours of use.
I only skate outdoors occasionally and I rely on having gummy wheels with plastic hubs to cushion most of the impact. Any plate that can handle the abuse on occasion is fine, I'm not expecting it to be comfortable and I'll do most skating on an indoor surface.

I currently have jam plugs in but added toe covers because I do occasionally scrape the ground with my toes especially while doing the grapevine. Nts seemed a great way to be able to get even farther over my toes while spinning. Though, it would require me to be extremely confident in my ability to stop without falling or ruining my boot... I think I'll stick with having a toe stop for now.

I took one look at the Arius trucks and decided they must be great for cornering in a rink but the worst at absorbing shock.
Old September 15th, 2019, 04:06 AM   #13
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
I took one look at the Arius trucks and decided they must be great for cornering in a rink but the worst at absorbing shock.
Lol you got it.

Yea, it's not so cushioned. If someone uses soft cushions in a normal kingpin it does help. Of you run brick hard ones lol then it might as wel be an arius as vibration absorption goes.

I use mine outdoors and dont mind at all. The kinda stuff that would keep me from skating as surfaces go no one would skate on.

The key is to have a nice insole with just enough cushioning, and wheels to match the outdoor conditions.
Old September 16th, 2019, 03:09 AM   #14
Analog Kid

Default And the winner is

Thanks everyone for all your responses, I've learned a lot about the options out there. After further investigation I found that the roll line cushions are more expensive to replace and the toe stops are not standard, making the Royal the most attractive choice. Heading over to the buying part of the forum now

Tags
advice, plates, reviews, tampa