S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old September 21st, 2008, 03:59 PM   #61
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Default Memories

The rink I first started skating at Clawson's Ambassador Roller Rink in Clawson, Michigan closed a few years back, after I moved East. I discovered it is now a upscale furniture botique.. When I skated there 1950-1958 and then again in 1979-1986 there were pictures of me skating dance and freestyle hanging on the walls, from back in the 1950's. I asked my friend and then owner Patty Gagnan back in the 90's, the place rink was very iffy as a viable business then, that if and when it did close could she snag the pictures for me?? Fast forward to last Monday evening at a 1970's oldtimers night at Skate World, in Troy, Michigan. Patty is a Pro there now and dropped ny to say her hello's. I asked her what happened to all the memorabilia from the rink, and she said they left it all there and just walked away, and that the people running the store probably had all the stuff. There were selling the old benches, and rental skates in the store, the last time I was there, but I didn't notice any old photos??. So the next day I wandered into Leon&Lulu's for a look see.. I asked the owner about the old photos that came with the building, and he asked if I had seen the Skating Rink Shrine in the front entrence.. I hand't as I allways entered the side entrence off the perking lot :-) So he showed me to the display, it was a jump back in time for sure, and there smack in the middle of the display was a picture of me and my old partner taken when we were skating a skating show at the rink, somewhere around 1857 or 58 ??? There were a few more familiar faces, but my old brain missed most of the names... The store retained the original skating surface, figure circles and all, and had a strange award hanging in the front entrence, that was both sad, and interesting all at the same time?? I'll try and post a few pictures I snaped with my point and shoot. So far they have only found the one image of me and my partner, but the promised to check the storage for any others.

Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #62
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Default Hello is anyone home???

Is everyone catching their beauty sleep, or is this place in the same state skating is??? Dying???

Old September 30th, 2008, 06:31 AM   #63
biffsk8er

Carousel Skating Rink in Houston Texas.
R.I.P.

Rain storm crushed the roof and my spirit.
Old September 30th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #64
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footwork View Post
Is everyone catching their beauty sleep, or is this place in the same state skating is??? Dying???

No Sir--Skating is alive and well in H-town. with Street Skating and Roller Derby, there is something going on most every night. We don't have many rinks here, so we take it to the Streets. Which is cool, cause we have good streets, and lots of them. We will be having Our annual "Skate Joust", November 15. and all are welcome to come participate, or just join in the Festivities. We have to change with the times it seems. On ward thru the Fog.
Old October 1st, 2008, 09:32 PM   #65
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Default Street Racing

Done it in car, on Motorcycles, bicyles, and on my speed skates and Blades.. Quads on streets are fun until you catch some junk on the road or sidewalk. I skated a couple if street races, back in the day.. I remember it was very hard to skate , racing anyway in a straight line. And even a tiny pebbel on the road was bad news :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
No Sir--Skating is alive and well in H-town. with Street Skating and Roller Derby, there is something going on most every night. We don't have many rinks here, so we take it to the Streets. Which is cool, cause we have good streets, and lots of them. We will be having Our annual "Skate Joust", November 15. and all are welcome to come participate, or just join in the Festivities. We have to change with the times it seems. On ward thru the Fog.
Old October 1st, 2008, 09:35 PM   #66
biffsk8er

Outdoor extreme skating is pretty popular here in Austin TX. Also, the local outdoor 3.1 mile Veloway has a ton of distance enthusiasts.
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #67
retread

North Point Rollarena officially died today. I saw them working on it and snapped this picture of what was one of the finest skating floors on the East Coast, before they ran me off. What's left of a 190' by 90' maple floor

I worked there for years, met my wife there (lots of other girls too), had the best times of my life on that floor. It hadn't skated a session for maybe 20 years, but until today, there was hope. Not any more.

bob
retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #68
Nostalgic

That's a capitol offense.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #69
NaNaDo

Bob... that's the saddest picture I have ever seen!

EDIT: add on
Yes Bob, the rink where Kenny and I met is no longer a rink either... the building is still there. We were all just talking about it last Tuesday because of the filming at Phesantland. Marty was telling us Pheasantland was a little smaller than Pike (South Hampton, PA) That's where we all met! Marty said the "floor" is still there, if we went down and went into the (now a showroom for boats) building all the memories of the floor are still there. Would love to go see where I fell and broke my hand... apparently Kenny skated past as I was sitting there and thought "huuummmm ... she's kinda cute, maybe I'll ask her to skate good night couples". And here we are 35 years later and still skating our good night couples together.
Heartbreaking to see your memories torn up and put in a dumpster!!!
NaNaDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 01:51 AM   #70
cacoa

Default re contact #of tom

hi it seems that you are well versed with the southern rinks. well i was training at skate ranchwith grady. was a participant at the world championships 2. would u have the contact # of tom peterson 1980 world champs. i am really looking for him with . tjh cacoa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
In SoCal, probably 90% or more of the rinks are gone. In the 70's when skating was most popular there were rinks everywhere. It used to be said around the rinks that Rollerskating, as a participant sport, was bigger than Baseball, Football, Basketball and Hockey combined. I don't know whether it was actually true or where they got their info but it seemed plausible. I don't remember the names of all the rinks that I have been to that are gone but I have included a partial list of cities where there were rinks that AFAIK are gone.

Santa Ana
Buena Park
Glendora
El Monte
West Covina-2
La Puente
Montclair
Redlands
Long Beach
Pasadena
Monterey Park
Costa Mesa
Garden Grove
Torrence
cacoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 03:13 PM   #71
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Has anyone approached the roller skating gurus and found any such to open?
I would be curious, if anyone in the last 20 years has opened one.

thanks
Old November 22nd, 2008, 07:58 PM   #72
Nostalgic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacoa View Post
hi it seems that you are well versed with the southern rinks. well i was training at skate ranchwith grady. was a participant at the world championships 2. would u have the contact # of tom peterson 1980 world champs. i am really looking for him with . tjh cacoa
Sorry but I have never met him. Try some of the people search engines if you know enough about him to weed him out of the other search results. Zabasearch and peoplefinders are two of my favorites.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:21 AM   #73
NaNaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacoa View Post

Hi tjh
have you tried you question in the Artistic Forum? There are many former and current National and World Champion that post there. I am sure you could get some results there !!!
NaNaDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #74
diagetus

Skatervideoguy -
Quote:
Coachlite South, I-435 & Reo Ave. in Overland Park, Ks. I Met my wife of 23 yrs. at this one.
Threw me off a little when I tried to find a rink off of Reo. I skated a few times at the one where you met your wife. KC apparently is the headquarters for Applebees and they took over that building at I-435 and Roe as their base some years back.

There are very few rinks that have that 70's color palette in their carpets and wall paint, but Coachlite was one of them. Unfortunately, the Coachlite's didn't seem to weather the rink famine like the Skatelands and Skateworlds. There is a similar Coachlite rink in St. Louis, Mo that I believe is still operational and has kept the old designs. Maybe you and your wife can visit that one as the surrogate for your old KC location.

As indicated by Skatervideoguy's list, KC took a big hit, but KC had a ton of rinks at one time. So even now, there's probably at least 8-10 roller rinks in the surrounding KC area. Compared to areas like NY City and San Fran, which are barely able to muster up a handful of rinks, little old KC is doing just fine IMHO.

Here's another one that died in the midwest:

Saints Olivette Rink, St. Louis, Mo
1168 N Warson Rd
Saint Louis, MO 63132
diagetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #75
Skatervideoguy

Hi diagetus,

Sorry about the type-o. It should have been "Roe". Inspite of close to 50yrs. of practice, I still can't type worth a crap, or spell either. Nor is my proof reading much better.

Thank God I can at least Roller Skate.

That CoachLite is likely one built buy Ken Saseck (SP) and family. They built 2 in Topeka, Ks. (still open) 3 in the KC area (2 still open) Then in St Louis & Chicago. He died recently and his wife, and mostly his daughter & son-in-law, still run one there in St Louis.

His son owns and operates what is now "Skate World" in Overland Park, Ks., one of the Rinks I skate in. I've known the family since they first moved to Topeka, Ks. and built their Rink's there - way back. Topeka is my home town.
Old December 6th, 2008, 05:28 AM   #76
CARTchamp

This might make you feel a little ill. You guys ever hear what USA has done in the past when a competing rink in one of their markets closes down. They'll buy the assets either outright or in auction and run the floor through a wood chipper just to keep it from being used by someone else to open a skating rink.
Old December 6th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #77
BretMan

The United Skates of America management team always were the cold-hearted corporate types. Maybe that's why they're still in the roller rink business after nearly forty years!

CARTchamp, I know you were a USA North (now 71 Skate Zone) guy, and you might have have been in the East rink before, but do you remember USA West, out on Sullivant Avenue? It must have closed down around 1990 or so. We used to round up a gang from the North rink and head out there to terrorize them every once in awhile. It was a smaller facility, nowhere near as nice as USA North, and it had a smooth, coated cement floor.
BretMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #78
CARTchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
The United Skates of America management team always were the cold-hearted corporate types. Maybe that's why they're still in the roller rink business after nearly forty years!

CARTchamp, I know you were a USA North (now 71 Skate Zone) guy, and you might have have been in the East rink before, but do you remember USA West, out on Sullivant Avenue? It must have closed down around 1990 or so. We used to round up a gang from the North rink and head out there to terrorize them every once in awhile. It was a smaller facility, nowhere near as nice as USA North, and it had a smooth, coated cement floor.
I remember the west rink, I've been in the building before but when it was a USA. IIRC the west rink closed around 83 and then went through various night clubs including the Gold Rush and East Dallas. My sister and cousin where in a lip sync contest (it was an 80's thing ) there in like 86. Funny thing, I've lived in columbus all my life, I've been skating sense i was 8 and I currently only live about 15 minutes from it but I've never been inside the east rink.

Edit; EAST Dallas wasnt int he USA west building, it was in Reynoldsburg, it became Atlantis and then Club Dance. It's still open now but i cant think of the goofy name it has. I can't remember what USA west was after it was The Gold Rush but i remember going there.
Old December 6th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #79
BretMan

Okay...now I have to think back to my 80's club-hopping days...

East Dallas/Atlantis/Club Dance (and, I think, that huge club might have been called a couple of other things over the years) was/is in that shopping center at the corner of Brice and Livingston. I remember that one because I knew one of the DJ's there.

After the Gold Rush was a different club in a stand-alone building that was around the corner on Scarborough Blvd. close to the JC Penney distribution center. A car dealership sits on that site now. That one, I remember because one of my friends was a bouncer there.

The old USA West skating rink was on Sullivant Avenue and after it was sold it did become some sort of bar or nightclub with a hispanic theme, reflecting the large hispanic community in that section of town. Then, the city shut it down due to a number of liquor violations and shootings on the premises!

A few other rinks around here that have come and gone...

The Linden Roller Rink. I think this was the first place I ever skated as a little kid around 1968. It was a small, old-fashioned rink that must have closed in the mid-1970's. The building is still there- now it's a bingo hall or something like that. It's behind Yoho's restaurant at the intersection of Westerville Road and Oakland Park.

Roller Chalet. Closed about seven years ago. Used to be an ice rink, then was converted to a roller rink. It was behind Roush Honda in Westerville, on Schrock Road.

Reynoldsburg Roller Rink. Pretty sure it's not there anymore- it's been awhile since I was out that way. Was on Main Street in the heart of Reynoldsburg, next to their municipal pool (if that's still there). Of note on this rink: A few years ago I read an interview with rapper Bow Wow (who was "L'il" at the time) and he said that this was the rink he skated at as a kid!

Hard to believe that the United Skates of America corporation once operated three rinks right here in Columbus. At one point, they had over thirty rinks in their chain. I see from their website that they operate only about half that many now. I skated at USA rinks in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Springfield and Indianapolis over the years.

All this talk about skating is making me want to go skate! I wonder what 71 Skate Zone is like on a Saturday afternoon nowadays?
BretMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #80
patience77

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolRinkRat View Post
At one point, we had Three rinks in town.

Gibson Arena- Still open, and I attend every session I possibly can there. They have a sister Rink (Same Owners Family) in New Castle Indiana.

Skate-A-Way- Closed in 1992 I believe. (I might be off on the year)

Hullaballoo- Used to be a dance hall just outside of Muncie. They turned it into a skating rink for a couple of years from what my mother told me. It closed in the late 70's - early 80's

Basically, During the late 80's you either went to Gibson's or Skate-A-Way. There were a few of us that went to both. I stayed away from Skate-A-Way for the most part, as their floor ROYALLY sucked.

Skate-A-Way Started having MAJOR management issues, and started suffering maintanence problems shortly after. They had a big hole in the floor for nearly 2 years, that got worse and worse, with nothing done about it.

The rink was really small compared to the rink at Gibson arena, and there was a big rivalry between the patrons of each rink. I remeber fondly the RIP sessions we used to have between the Skate-A-Way Regulars, and the Gibson's Regulars. Some of them had Shirts printed "Skate Away from the Craters in the floor"...etc. Some Skate-A-Way Die Hards used to come to the speed team open practices just to spectate, and heckle... That sometimes caused friction... My cousin used to tell me stories of the stupid crap they would pull on Friday nights in the Gibson Arena Parking lot...

The building that housed Skate-A-Way is still standing but it is now a carpet store. The Old disco floor (Really just a raised 9'X9' lighted floor stage platform thingy) got sold to the local under 21 club, and was destroyed in a fire 2 years after the rink closed.

I never skated at the Hullabaloo, as I was really REALLY little when it closed (Building is still there, but it is a storage warehouse now).

There is Rumor that there is a rink in Gaston Indiana (Tiny little hole in the earth town a few minutes northwest of Muncie). But I have yet to get the inkling to even attempt going to that god-forsaken little town to see if it is true.

I also had another Favorite Rink that was Located in Somerset Kentucky. I used to go there when my parents would take me to see my Great Grandmother and our Aunts and Uncles that lived in Mt. Vernon. I don't remember the name of the rink, but they had a REALLY nice wood floor that was well maintained. I haven't been down that way in about 5 years, so I don't even know if that rink is still there or not. It would be a shame if it has closed. Everyone there was friendly, they played GREAT music, and the floor was one of the nicest wood floors I had ever skated on.

I might take a Drive to get photos of the locations, and the actual physical addresses of the Old Hulaballoo and the Old Sake-A-Way building to post up in here. I'll ask around to some of the other skaters around here and see if they have any photos from the heydays of the closed rinks. Outside, inside... whatever.

wow we had a skate a way in our area here in KY that closed about that same time. What a coincidence. They have reopened it just this past september. I guess I never really thought about there being another one some where elses.
sorry to get off topic this just surprised me.