S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Group Skates
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Skates Discussions about night skates, organized skate tours, skating party weekends, and similar group social skating events.

Old April 7th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #1
JB Skater K'os
JB4LIFE

Default This is what a skate party looks and feels like!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Xny...53AEFB&index=1

Site Dedicated to Skaters!!!!
JB Skater K'os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 01:40 AM   #2
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Looks like All American on Friday night in ATL. Way too many people. So many it's no longer a skating event...it's more a social event. But I go every year.
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 02:12 AM   #3
Reserector
ameteur debunker

I quite sure I would LOVE that!! At least the skating part. I'm not much in shoes.

That's going on the SS Home page.
Old April 8th, 2011, 03:22 AM   #4
OffTheEdge
DjC Rockin' The Beat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Skater K'os View Post
Awesome Video! Good JB skaters and some with the "Jam Skate" style to boot! One question though ..... why wear high tops laced halfway up? Looks like alot of skaters would be better off in a low top boot since they don't use the top half anyway. but still great skating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Williams View Post
Looks like All American on Friday night in ATL. Way too many people. So many it's no longer a skating event...it's more a social event. But I go every year.
Wow! you've been to All American? I freakin LOVE that rink! Always great skating and only about 30 miles from me.
OffTheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 04:02 AM   #5
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTheEdge View Post
Awesome Video! Good JB skaters and some with the "Jam Skate" style to boot! One question though ..... why wear high tops laced halfway up? Looks like alot of skaters would be better off in a low top boot since they don't use the top half anyway. but still great skating!
For me its a heel matter. Been skating so long on art type boots with a heel nothing else feels quite right. Tried low cut boots. Had a 695 setup. Skating it hurt my lower back. I had a different skating posture skating the 695 setup. Had to bend my knees more for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTheEdgee View Post
Wow! you've been to All American? I freakin LOVE that rink! Always great skating and only about 30 miles from me.
Go there just about every year. Joi has her skate party in ATL every year for the last 17 years. She always does All American on Friday night and has to rent 2 to 3 rinks for Saturday night because there are so many people. Every year around Labor Day. You should come this year.
Old April 10th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #6
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

Quote:
For me its a heel matter. Been skating so long on art type boots with a heel nothing else feels quite right. Tried low cut boots. Had a 695 setup. Skating it hurt my lower back. I had a different skating posture skating the 695 setup. Had to bend my knees more for example.
It is all about the heels really.......I can't roll anything w/o at least 1 1/2". Also heels set your posture up better for dance skating.
A couple of my of my buds here recently were beating themselves up trying the get a routine perfectly in sync......when I jumped in and learned it with the guy wearing heels they were both shocked how much better it looked with much less work. I proceeded to take some pics while they did the routine and then pointed out in the stills how different their posture was from each other.
So even though they were doing the same moves when you looked at a still you could see very basic differences in each of their stances throughout the routine.
Once they consciously tried to emulate each other instead of just doing the same moves it worked out.
Old April 10th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #7
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
It is all about the heels really.......I can't roll anything w/o at least 1 1/2". Also heels set your posture up better for dance skating.
A couple of my of my buds here recently were beating themselves up trying the get a routine perfectly in sync......when I jumped in and learned it with the guy wearing heels they were both shocked how much better it looked with much less work. I proceeded to take some pics while they did the routine and then pointed out in the stills how different their posture was from each other.
So even though they were doing the same moves when you looked at a still you could see very basic differences in each of their stances throughout the routine.
Once they consciously tried to emulate each other instead of just doing the same moves it worked out.
Yep, that's how it works. But for some people...they try to emulate each other because the person doing the move may do it in a very smooth manner but it ain't gonna look the same depending on your skate setup or the way you are used to your body moving. You may be in need of some structural integration.

Been talking about skating posture for years. People don't pay that much attention to it though. They will try a skate setup and if it doesn't work well for them thay may give up on skating. Or they may have a fantastic skate setup that is tuned for the way they move and the way they skate but because of the way they are used to their body moving without skates they may never conquer their fear of moving in a different manner on skates and may give up on skating altogether.

I know a lady who got back into roller skating after some years and bought a pair of skates that were drastically different than the art type skates she had initially. One of those speed boot standard packages. I've only seen her a few times in the past year. She said skating doesn't seem the same. When I asked her why she talked a lot about not being able to do moves she used to do. When I asked her about this she gave detailed accounts of what moves, how she used to do them and what restrictions she has now. I told her it doesn't sound like her...it shounds like the skates are the problem. She didn't know what I was talking about. Once we fixed up her old art type skates (wheels, bearings, plate tune-up) now she has a really good idea of how the skates can make all the difference not only in what you will be able to do on them but also how the correct posture leads to minimizing injuries while skating and maximizing a person's "skating pleasure"...which a really a perceived thingy.

For OffTheEdge:

This is All American one year...2009 I believe...so many people that they could'ne get everyone off the floor at the same time. Some people had to stay on the floor or leave the rink.

Old April 25th, 2011, 04:38 AM   #8
srobak
learning to skate again

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTheEdge View Post
why wear high tops laced halfway up? Looks like alot of skaters would be better off in a low top boot since they don't use the top half anyway. but still great skating!
I know part of it is a throwback to the days of old... but for me...

I have to lace my skates up to just past my ankle... everything above that is left loose or unlaced. The low tops don't support the ankle enough for me, so I firm up the laces just a bit above - sorta "wrap" the ankle, and then I am good to go. Low tops are cut just below and don't give the support I need.
srobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 03:31 AM   #9
Agawam_rollaway_skater
▒★USA

HOLY CRAP! That's beyond intense! Strangely, even the few marginal skaters there are awesome! Anyone notice the guy in the rentals tearrin' it up? I've never personaly been apart of anything like that much less seen anything like it in person! The skate scene is so much stronger there. I'm happy for you guys and bummed for us! No one over the age of thirteen skates in my neck o' the woods. At 34, I'm an old timer
Old April 29th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #10
sommemi
Evn my Redbloodcells roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agawam_rollaway_skater View Post
HOLY CRAP! That's beyond intense! Strangely, even the few marginal skaters there are awesome! Anyone notice the guy in the rentals tearrin' it up? I've never personaly been apart of anything like that much less seen anything like it in person! The skate scene is so much stronger there. I'm happy for you guys and bummed for us! No one over the age of thirteen skates in my neck o' the woods. At 34, I'm an old timer
Sounds like you need to take a vacation to Ohio this summer!
Old April 29th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #11
sommemi
Evn my Redbloodcells roll

That video is AWESOME. Thanks for sharing that!!! THAT is the kind of fun I'm talking about! I'll take that over dancing in a bar any night.
Old April 29th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #12
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agawam_rollaway_skater View Post
+1 big 1! I totally agree with ya. The whole floor is full but full of skaters that CAN skate. Not full of 10 -13 year olds that can barely walk let alone skate.
Like you, I`m the old timer at my rink only I`m 48 lol.
Old April 29th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #13
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Looks like they had Big Bob on the "wax". Good choice!
Old May 27th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #14
JB Skater K'os
JB4LIFE

Quote:
Looks like they had Big Bob on the "wax". Good choice!
Well it was a three day event. Friday Night we had DJ Big Bob as you stated. Saturday we had DJ Joe Bowen from Chicago spinnin at the +25 event and the same night at another rink down the road we had DJ Fly Ty from New Jersey spinnin at the 21+. Sunday night we had DJ Brian from Atlanta spinnin. Fun filled weekend. Something for everyone.

Old June 7th, 2011, 03:46 AM   #15
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Well it was a three day event. Friday Night we had DJ Big Bob as you stated. Saturday we had DJ Joe Bowen from Chicago spinnin at the +25 event and the same night at another rink down the road we had DJ Fly Ty from New Jersey spinnin at the 21+. Sunday night we had DJ Brian from Atlanta spinnin. Fun filled weekend. Something for everyone.
You going to Joi's gig this labor day?
Old June 8th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #16
JB Skater K'os
JB4LIFE

Quote:
You going to Joi's gig this labor day?
Yep, I will be there the whole weekend!

Old June 8th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #17
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Yep, I will be there the whole weekend!
Kewl! Let's keep in touch so we can meet up.
Old June 11th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #18
JB Skater K'os
JB4LIFE

Quote:
Kewl! Let's keep in touch so we can meet up.
Sounds good bro!

Old June 11th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #19
JSMOOTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsk8s View Post
+1 big 1! I totally agree with ya. The whole floor is full but full of skaters that CAN skate. Not full of 10 -13 year olds that can barely walk let alone skate.
Like you, I`m the old timer at my rink only I`m 48 lol.
That is why I keep going to the adult national parties. They are fun as hell and you can learn a lot just being there. I will be in Chicago on the 9th for the old school party.

Thanks to Jim at www.eastcoastrollersports.com
JSMOOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #20
JB Skater K'os
JB4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMOOTH View Post
That is why I keep going to the adult national parties. They are fun as hell and you can learn a lot just being there. I will be in Chicago on the 9th for the old school party.
I was trying to hit the party the weekend prior put on by D-Breeze of JB Elite. Sherri is putting on that old school party you're talking about. Have fun!