S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Group Skates
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Skates Discussions about night skates, organized skate tours, skating party weekends, and similar group social skating events.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #21
73watermutt
I skate in circles
 
73watermutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djstingyneedles View Post
lol, dude. i skated there all summer. that area is just as bad as anywhere in marion.
Whatever man. Marion is NOWHERE near as bad as Columbus. You can hang in the parking lot of my rink without the fear of ANYTHING. My friend got a black eye for having on the WRONG color hat on. I may have to call the police once or twice a year at our rink for really minor issue. Just ask Ashley how many times they have the police involved at skate zone? She told me the amount of money they spend every year on security and it was insane. Just so they can keep guards at all the exits so the trash can't sneak their trash friends in the place with weapons. We have to spend $0.00 on security because MARION IS NOT COLUMBUS!
73watermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #22
73watermutt
I skate in circles
 
73watermutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Williams View Post
And there you have it. Since you know that in advance don't hang out in the parking lot after the skating session is over. And you can tell other people not to as well. But why tell them the rink is not safe? The rink is safe...it is what you do in the parking lot after the skating session is over that is not safe.
The manager herself told me the place has alot of issues and I know from friends that problems are at that rink due to the area and the trash that frequents it. If you want to put yourself in that situation then be my guest. I choose not to when it is just not needed. We have a big group that hits to a different rink about every month during the winter months and skate zone has always been voted down by EVERYONE!
73watermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #23
Edward Williams
Still Learning...
 
Edward Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73watermutt View Post
The manager herself told me the place has alot of issues and I know from friends that problems are at that rink due to the area and the trash that frequents it. If you want to put yourself in that situation then be my guest. I choose not to when it is just not needed. We have a big group that hits to a different rink about every month during the winter months and skate zone has always been voted down by EVERYONE!
I do not know what else to say except I'm happy for you.
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #24
73watermutt
I skate in circles
 
73watermutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Williams View Post
I do not know what else to say except I'm happy for you.
I am happy for me too because I don't have to deal with losers at SH!THOLE rinks!!!! Have a nice day.
73watermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #25
Edward Williams
Still Learning...
 
Edward Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73watermutt View Post
I am happy for me too because I don't have to deal with losers at SH!THOLE rinks!!!! Have a nice day.
Thank you Sir. You have a nice day as well.
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #26
djstingyneedles
unattached racer
 
djstingyneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Marysville,Ohio
Posts: 260
Default

I'm amazed at the negative remarks. It's a roller rink not a crack house.
__________________
Simmons Custom (Black/Red/Silver)/Cado Pro 4x110/WRW 2G/Bones Swiss (Stolen 11/05/2010 from Skyborn Skateland, Fairborn OH)
Maple Duo 17"
djstingyneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #27
73watermutt
I skate in circles
 
73watermutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djstingyneedles View Post
I'm amazed at the negative remarks. It's a roller rink not a crack house.
It's not far from it!!!!!!!
73watermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:02 AM   #28
BretMan
Member
 
BretMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 70
Default

Watermutt, I respect your opinion as a roller rink operator and avid skater. But I have to wonder if your opinion of Skate Zone is based on one isolated incident or secondhand information.

Okay, maybe my opinion of this rink is a little biased, too. After all, this has essentially been my "home rink" for over 30 years!

My own experiences there have been positive and perhaps different than yours. Their adult nights are pretty extreme in that an inexperienced skater probably wouldn't feel comfortable on the floor. These sessions are generally packed with wall-to-wall skaters going full speed. They are also fully embraced by the black community of Columbus, so if you're not comfortable with that maybe these sessions aren't for you.

Personally, I'm the whitest white boy you'll ever find and I have never had any problems skating these sessions. No one has bothered me or even as much as said anything negative to me.

The adult sessions held at Skate Zone are unique in the type of music played and the atmosphere of the skate floor. In contrast, the usual sessions there that are open to all ages are more laid back, with more of a family atmosphere. These are totally different sessions catering to a totally different crowd. These sessions are run with ZERO security or police presence because there is absolutely no need for it.

The crowds at the Friday night "all ages" sessions and various weekend afternoon skates remind me EXACTLY of the kinds of crowds I've seen on my trips up to Zoomers in Marion.

The condition and cleanliness of the rink is no worse- and probably better- than the average roller rink. The skate floor itself is freshly coated on a regular basis and skates just fine.

The area of Columbus where this rink is located is FAR, FAR from the "worst section of town". Not even close. In fact, it is just about the same as where the Marion rink is located- along a busy strip of shopping areas and fast food joints right at the intersection of a major interstate highway. I'm not familiar enough with the city of Marion to define it's demographics, but I suspect the areas where these two rinks are located are similar- middle class/working class neighborhoods.

Yes, there was a shooting at this rink- back in the 1990's! That was nearly 15 years ago and I'm not aware of anything like that happening since. And, to be precise, that shooting occurred about 1/4 mile away from the rink, at the end of a service road that leads back to the property. In short, it didn't happen in the rink or on rink property. There are stupid people everywhere and this particular stupid person just happened to be in the vicinity.

I know CARTchamp was a regular "rink rat" here- back in the days when this rink was called United Skates of America- and I can't help but wonder if some of his comments are colored by nostalgia. You know, everything was better back when we were kids! Yes, this rink is different than it was when you were a kid twenty years ago, but "different" doesn't automatically equate to "worse"- just different.

I would invite any skater with reservations about this rink, the crowd or the location to come to the Friday night skates and judge for themselves. In fact, if you go to the Skate Zone website, you can print out coupons good for "buy one, get one free" admissions throughout the month of October. Bring a friend!

All that aside...with the fall skating season here it really is time for us Ohio guys to plan a few more group skates!

One more thing: I'm curious where the guy posting that this is a "free skate" is getting his information. There is nothing on their website about this skate being free (it says admission is $7) and they are pretty good about advertising their special skates and special events. It also says that this session is for ages 21 and over, not 18 and over as posted above. Before anyone heads down there expecting to get in free, I would suggest calling the rink to confirm whether it's really free or not!
BretMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:20 AM   #29
djstingyneedles
unattached racer
 
djstingyneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Marysville,Ohio
Posts: 260
Default

All the information i posted was sent to me via facebook the skatezone 71 page, which can be viewed here http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...eZone71?ref=nf

And last time i checked crack houses didn't have arcade games and a climbing wall.


I think the ohio group skate should hit up westchester. beer on tap.
__________________
Simmons Custom (Black/Red/Silver)/Cado Pro 4x110/WRW 2G/Bones Swiss (Stolen 11/05/2010 from Skyborn Skateland, Fairborn OH)
Maple Duo 17"
djstingyneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:29 PM   #30
BretMan
Member
 
BretMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 70
Default

Thanks for the clarification. This must be one of those "last minute double super secret" promotions that they don't advertise on their website! Maybe the first couple of weeks for this new session didn't bring in the crowds, so they're trying to put some butts in the building.
BretMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:42 PM   #31
Edward Williams
Still Learning...
 
Edward Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Watermutt, I respect your opinion as a roller rink operator and avid skater. But I have to wonder if your opinion of Skate Zone is based on one isolated incident or secondhand information.

Okay, maybe my opinion of this rink is a little biased, too. After all, this has essentially been my "home rink" for over 30 years!

My own experiences there have been positive and perhaps different than yours. Their adult nights are pretty extreme in that an inexperienced skater probably wouldn't feel comfortable on the floor. These sessions are generally packed with wall-to-wall skaters going full speed. They are also fully embraced by the black community of Columbus, so if you're not comfortable with that maybe these sessions aren't for you.

Personally, I'm the whitest white boy you'll ever find and I have never had any problems skating these sessions. No one has bothered me or even as much as said anything negative to me.

The adult sessions held at Skate Zone are unique in the type of music played and the atmosphere of the skate floor. In contrast, the usual sessions there that are open to all ages are more laid back, with more of a family atmosphere. These are totally different sessions catering to a totally different crowd. These sessions are run with ZERO security or police presence because there is absolutely no need for it.

The crowds at the Friday night "all ages" sessions and various weekend afternoon skates remind me EXACTLY of the kinds of crowds I've seen on my trips up to Zoomers in Marion.

The condition and cleanliness of the rink is no worse- and probably better- than the average roller rink. The skate floor itself is freshly coated on a regular basis and skates just fine.

The area of Columbus where this rink is located is FAR, FAR from the "worst section of town". Not even close. In fact, it is just about the same as where the Marion rink is located- along a busy strip of shopping areas and fast food joints right at the intersection of a major interstate highway. I'm not familiar enough with the city of Marion to define it's demographics, but I suspect the areas where these two rinks are located are similar- middle class/working class neighborhoods.

Yes, there was a shooting at this rink- back in the 1990's! That was nearly 15 years ago and I'm not aware of anything like that happening since. And, to be precise, that shooting occurred about 1/4 mile away from the rink, at the end of a service road that leads back to the property. In short, it didn't happen in the rink or on rink property. There are stupid people everywhere and this particular stupid person just happened to be in the vicinity.

I know CARTchamp was a regular "rink rat" here- back in the days when this rink was called United Skates of America- and I can't help but wonder if some of his comments are colored by nostalgia. You know, everything was better back when we were kids! Yes, this rink is different than it was when you were a kid twenty years ago, but "different" doesn't automatically equate to "worse"- just different.

I would invite any skater with reservations about this rink, the crowd or the location to come to the Friday night skates and judge for themselves. In fact, if you go to the Skate Zone website, you can print out coupons good for "buy one, get one free" admissions throughout the month of October. Bring a friend!

All that aside...with the fall skating season here it really is time for us Ohio guys to plan a few more group skates!

One more thing: I'm curious where the guy posting that this is a "free skate" is getting his information. There is nothing on their website about this skate being free (it says admission is $7) and they are pretty good about advertising their special skates and special events. It also says that this session is for ages 21 and over, not 18 and over as posted above. Before anyone heads down there expecting to get in free, I would suggest calling the rink to confirm whether it's really free or not!
BretMan, why did you feel the need to say that you are "the whitest white boy you'll ever find" in a discussion about skating rinks?
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:37 PM   #32
73watermutt
I skate in circles
 
73watermutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,870
Default

Ole' Edward likes to read into things too much!!!!! Bretman meant nothing by it. I have skated with him on a few ocassions and he is a super nice guy and NOT racist.
73watermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:45 PM   #33
Edward Williams
Still Learning...
 
Edward Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73watermutt View Post
Ole' Edward likes to read into things too much!!!!! Bretman meant nothing by it. I have skated with him on a few ocassions and he is a super nice guy and NOT racist.
Please allow people to answer for themselves. I'm not sure what it is you think you know about me but the extent of it is probably that we did business on a couple of occasions. This is how these threads get started with people making wild accusations about each other. Just let BretMan answer for himself. According to the evidence he is capable of doing that.
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:51 PM   #34
djstingyneedles
unattached racer
 
djstingyneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Marysville,Ohio
Posts: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Thanks for the clarification. This must be one of those "last minute double super secret" promotions that they don't advertise on their website! Maybe the first couple of weeks for this new session didn't bring in the crowds, so they're trying to put some butts in the building.
No problem all i wanted to do in this thread was spread the word.
__________________
Simmons Custom (Black/Red/Silver)/Cado Pro 4x110/WRW 2G/Bones Swiss (Stolen 11/05/2010 from Skyborn Skateland, Fairborn OH)
Maple Duo 17"
djstingyneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:51 PM   #35
73watermutt
I skate in circles
 
73watermutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,870
Default

YOUR post sounds like it is the one making WILD accusations. I can just tell by the way you say things what kind of persone you are. I really wonder if you have a real friend in the world because you come off as a real DB!!!!!!! Now go cry to mommy since called you a name. EVERY post you make just rubs people the wrong way and TRUST me I get pm's from people saying the same thing about you. You are NOW on my ignore list. GOOD BYE, CLOWN!!!!!!
73watermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:53 PM   #36
Edward Williams
Still Learning...
 
Edward Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73watermutt View Post
YOUR post sounds like it is the one making WILD accusations. I can just tell by the way you say things what kind of persone you are. I really wonder if you have a real friend in the world because you come off as a real DB!!!!!!! Now go cry to mommy since called you a name. EVERY post you make just rubs people the wrong way and TRUST me I get pm's from people saying the same thing about you. I WILL NO LONGER READ ANY COMMENTS FROM YOU!!!!GOOD BYE, CLOWN!!!!!!
Thank you Sir. Take care.
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:47 PM   #37
BretMan
Member
 
BretMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Williams View Post
BretMan, why did you feel the need to say that you are "the whitest white boy you'll ever find" in a discussion about skating rinks?
I just knew that somebody would jump on that one single sentence and take it the wrong way.

Remember- this wasn't a discussion about skating rinks in general. It was a discussion about a specific rink, a specific skating session and a specific crowd and one that I have personally experienced many times.

Since there were allusions to "gang activity" and people being harassed for wearing "the wrong colors" I just wanted to point out that my own personal experience is that I have not been subject to any of that, despite being one of a handful of caucasian skaters at these sessions.

The fact of the matter is that the typical adult session I've attended at this rink might have 500 or more skaters and maybe ten, at most, of them are caucasian. Not that that's good or bad either way. It's just a fact and it is what it is.

It is obvious that this rink has tailored these sessions to tap into a specific market. And I can't find fault with any rink operator for doing that at all! If you can put 500 "fannies in the seats" every week for a year you have just added about $200,000 to your rink's bottom line, when the facility would otherwise be sitting empty.

In the past (and we're talking about a 40 year history of skating), I have been to rinks where I was subjected to hassles and rough treatment, apparently because I was one of the few white skaters on the floor- things like purposely being cut in front of, body checked, tripped from behind while skating backwards or had someone try to take my skates out from under me.

My points were that at this rink, for these sessions, I have not had any such negative experiences and that their other sessions, besides the adult skates, have a totally different crowd and atmosphere.
BretMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:46 PM   #38
Edward Williams
Still Learning...
 
Edward Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
I just knew that somebody would jump on that one single sentence and take it the wrong way.

Remember- this wasn't a discussion about skating rinks in general. It was a discussion about a specific rink, a specific skating session and a specific crowd and one that I have personally experienced many times.

Since there were allusions to "gang activity" and people being harassed for wearing "the wrong colors" I just wanted to point out that my own personal experience is that I have not been subject to any of that, despite being one of a handful of caucasian skaters at these sessions.

The fact of the matter is that the typical adult session I've attended at this rink might have 500 or more skaters and maybe ten, at most, of them are caucasian. Not that that's good or bad either way. It's just a fact and it is what it is.

It is obvious that this rink has tailored these sessions to tap into a specific market. And I can't find fault with any rink operator for doing that at all! If you can put 500 "fannies in the seats" every week for a year you have just added about $200,000 to your rink's bottom line, when the facility would otherwise be sitting empty.

In the past (and we're talking about a 40 year history of skating), I have been to rinks where I was subjected to hassles and rough treatment, apparently because I was one of the few white skaters on the floor- things like purposely being cut in front of, body checked, tripped from behind while skating backwards or had someone try to take my skates out from under me.

My points were that at this rink, for these sessions, I have not had any such negative experiences and that their other sessions, besides the adult skates, have a totally different crowd and atmosphere.
BretMan,

Thank you for answering my question. I did not take what you said the wrong way or any way for that matter. I read it and thought about it and wondered why you thought it important enough to note race in a discussion about skating rinks. Since I did not know why you did it I asked why.

I'm not ashamed to admit when I don't know something. I'm not one of those people who may try to act like they know something that they don't know. And I can see that there are people who are taken aback by the questions I ask...it is almost an allergic reaction. Yet and still I ask. I have learned a lot from the people here on the forums and have done business with many of them, both buying and selling. just above my avatar it says...Still Learning. No way to do that without asking questions.

I'm not sure why 73watermutt thought it necessary to say that you are not a racist. I never thought you were. A person can say they are a white person without being a racist so I'm not sure what that is all about.

I think it really comes down to behavior. As you indicated the shooting really never took place at the skating rink in question. I thought we had determined that the fights that took place were the result of hanging out in the skating rink parking lot after the skating rink session...although I'm not sure why anyone would do that. Sometimes, at the rink where I usually skate, after the skating session, if there are people who want to get together we will usually go to the waffle house or somewhere like that so we can talk about skate stuff, get something to eat, and stimulate the economy.

I've never been to the skating rink in question and if I had I probably would've never asked the questions I did about it. Since I hadn't been I asked. Hope I didn't offend.
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:22 AM   #39
BretMan
Member
 
BretMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 70
Default

Well, it takes a lot more than that to offend me!

I've been around rinks for a long time. I've seen my share of white punks on dope and black gangsta wannabe's. I don't care for either one. I just like to skate!

By the way, this rink has a new 80's night on Fridays, open to all ages. I have absolutely zero apprehension about attending these sessions. It is a family oriented crowd and atmosphere. In fact, just recently we had a birthday party there for a young family member (age 7). The kids had a blast! I certainly wouldn't host a birthday party for a dozen little kids in a place where there was even the faintest worry about their safety.

The Friday night session would be perfect for another group skate for the Ohio folks (A group of fellow SkateLoggers met up at about a half dozen rinks around the state last year.) This is a big floor in a nice rink and you would have absolutely no worries about your personal safety!
BretMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:24 PM   #40
Edward Williams
Still Learning...
 
Edward Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Well, it takes a lot more than that to offend me!

I've been around rinks for a long time. I've seen my share of white punks on dope and black gangsta wannabe's. I don't care for either one. I just like to skate!

By the way, this rink has a new 80's night on Fridays, open to all ages. I have absolutely zero apprehension about attending these sessions. It is a family oriented crowd and atmosphere. In fact, just recently we had a birthday party there for a young family member (age 7). The kids had a blast! I certainly wouldn't host a birthday party for a dozen little kids in a place where there was even the faintest worry about their safety.

The Friday night session would be perfect for another group skate for the Ohio folks (A group of fellow SkateLoggers met up at about a half dozen rinks around the state last year.) This is a big floor in a nice rink and you would have absolutely no worries about your personal safety!
Thanks for the info! If I were in the area I would definitely attend the 80s session. It sounds like fun!
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.