S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Group Skates
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Skates Discussions about night skates, organized skate tours, skating party weekends, and similar group social skating events.

Old April 17th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #1
7Skaters

Default Ohio Skate - Maumee, Ohio

Don't know when everyone else will be able to make it...but here are the times:

Saturday - 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM - cost is $4.50

Saturday - 2:00 PM - 7:00 PM - $6

Saturday - 7:00 PM - 11:00 PM - $8.50

Sunday - 2:00 PM - 5:30 PM - $5.50

The Sat. morn. session is more "family time". The afternoon is kindof a combination of family and teens. Saturday night (as well as Friday nights) are pretty much strictly teens. Sunday afternoons are another family-type session, MANY more people, though. 2 Sunday's ago, they said they had over 500 people!

This rink has a good floor, nice grip as long as it doesn't warm up too quickly...though it's smaller than the Toledo rink.

MUCH better music selection - and you can usually get them to play almost anything, as long as it's "kid-friendly" (no overly-explicit lyrics/sexual content), plus they just got a new batch of 300+ 80's songs (The Message, Rapper's Delight, Let's Groove, all the oldies but goodies us 80's Children used to skate to out there in our teens).

This is the one that's run by the original owner's daughter (not sure if she tech. bought it from her parents or not, but her parents were the ones who had it built).

There is a bit of a problem with one corner, water damage, but I never skate all the way into the corners anyway, so I never even noticed it until Dennis and my husband brought it up. I tend to stick with the old "race lanes" (now sanded off *pouts* LOL) so if you do skate corners, just be careful by the sound booth. Even with this little problem, we all still feel it's the better rink.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now anyone wanting to hit BOTH Ohio Skate's...the one in Toledo hours:

Saturday - 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM - $6
Top 40

Saturday - 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM - $6
unsure of song selection

Saturday - 7:00 PM - 11:00 PM - $8
unsure of song selection

Sunday - 2:00 PM - 7:00 Pm - $6
from 2 - 4:30 they play Top 40.
the rest of the session is R&B.

Sunday - 7:00 PM - 10:00 PM - $6
ALL R&B music.

This is the rink where you pretty much know what song is coming next, not much variation, unless you tell 'em it's your birthday and you want to hear (fill in song title)...then you MIGHT get lucky.

Bigger floor, but it's REALLY slick, so bring a change of wheels!

The manager's a bit of a....erm....jerk??...to put it nicely and stay within TOS. LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. You can find a bit more information on both rinks here:

http://www.ohioskate.com/

As well as print discount coupons. The ones for Maumee are $1.50 off ($2 off for Friday night sessions), the ones for Toledo only $1...but...saving is still saving! LOL Both rinks offer the same deal...you can get up to 4 people in per coupon, and they're good for the entire month. The only drawback is they have to be printed "as is" (full color) to be valid. With just the family, I'm already quickly running out of color ink. Since there's 7 of us, I have to print 2 of the coupons every week. LOL

Let me (or Dennis) know when you can all make it and I hope to see some of you soon!
7Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #2
73watermutt
I skate in circles

Has anyone read the list of rules? What is up with the no solid color tees? What kind of rule is that?
73watermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:24 AM   #3
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73watermutt View Post
Has anyone read the list of rules? What is up with the no solid color tees? What kind of rule is that?
Lots of lovely gangs around here......everything from basic black or white to canary yellow and teal have been used to show gang affiliation, so they just banned all solid color shirts for that reason.

I haven't been to a "night session" in 20-some years, so I'm not sure how much gang activity has gone on there since I've been to one...but the Sat. morning and afternoon sessions are more laid back on the rules, as well as the earlier Sunday sessions. Hubby and I have - as well as our kids - have worn solid color shirts before with no complaints.
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:27 AM   #4
7Skaters

Oh...NOTE!!!

The area where the MAUMEE rink is itself isn't that bad...but Maumee is only a stone's throw away from Toledo.
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:50 AM   #5
73watermutt
I skate in circles

Oh, I see.
73watermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 04:19 AM   #6
7Skaters

It really kinda sucks, but I think they just feel "better safe than sorry".

Maumee, Perrysburg, Sylvania and other smaller cities/towns are all within 20 - 25 minutes of downtown Toledo, so most of the clubs and bars...even a couple movie theaters, I think...now have the "no solid colors" rule. Clubs and bars also often have a "no jersey's" rule, too since gangs have used sports teams to show affiliation sometimes. Heck, I got stopped going into a club once for wearing a Red Sox T-SHIRT! LOL

The out-lying towns themselves are fine, even Toledo - as a whole - is fine, it's just, like many bigger cities, downtown that's really bad. Don't want to go there at night...heck, don't want to go there during the day, either.
Old April 18th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #7
7Skaters

Default ~~~~~HEADS UP~~~~~

I know it's a bit late notice now for those planning on coming to skate in Maumee, but tomorrow, they're doing an adult skate at the Maumee rink!

Bright side: If all goes well, they're going to do them once a month, every Sunday.

In talking to the owners, if they get enough adults in, they might make it more often than just once a month.

Adult Sessions will be all 70's and 80's and MAYBE a couple from the 90's (maybe 2 or 3 select songs). Though it was mentioned they don't have much by way of the 50's and 60's, so those who like the true "oldies" stuff...sorry.

I AM, however, going to talk to them more tomorrow and see if they even want any 50's/60's. They've updated to using MP3 players, so I'm going to see if I could maybe make an MP3 disc (or two) for each of those decades that they could load into their player. *crosses fingers*

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Umm.....exactly how many of you ARE planning on making a trip up here in the not-too-distant future?
Old April 20th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #8
7Skaters

Default ~~~SUCCESS~~~

Well, I'D deem it a success.

The first Adult Night, I counted at least 50, but of course, most of us were moving around a lot, so there could have been as many as 75 at some point. For a first time thing, I'd say that's a pretty decent turnout (NO advertisement, either...it was just on a little sign in the entryway, that I completely missed, hubby saw it up a couple weeks ago, though...THANKFULLY). Numbers can only increase from there...right?? I know spring/summer is pretty slow at most rinks, but 6 - 8:30 on a Sunday night, not much is usually going on. I mean, weddings/June Grad. parties are usually on Saturdays, kids' baseball/soccer/etc. games are also usually on Saturday's - or weeknights (or weekdays, once school is out), highly unlikely any golfers will be hitting the links at that time, etc.

I'm still scratching my head as to why they had 2 guards there...it was pretty much a free-for-all...had to keep in the same direction, but there were jam skaters in the center (one HAD to have been in his late 70's/early 80's) now and then, the speed skaters, artistic (also in the middle) and we could go backwards whenever we wanted...in fact, thanks to the manager's hubby remembering me, I was - at one point - forced by him to go backwards. LMAO "You still know how to backward skate?" "Yeah." "Then why aren't ya?" (as he IS backward skating in front of me while talking)...I took it as a personal challenge so I turned around for a song or two. LOL

The crowd ranged from the "barely 18 yr. olds" to two men who seemed to be in their 80's...though I'd say the majority of the crowd were early 30-somethings to mid-60 somethings.

Mostly 80's music, though they did throw in a good mix of 70's, and 3 or 4 good, skatable, 90's songs. They also actually played the Electric Boogie, too! LOL I've spent one too many years in the clubs, so I led a (very small) crowd of people doing the actual dance (Electric Slide) in the middle of the floor for it.

It was a great time, and now I'm eager for next month...and hopefully at least twice a month if they get a bigger crowd next time!! LOL
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #9
amaranthe

Does anybody still skate here? It's not too far from me, and I was considering checking it out when my new skates come...
amaranthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:15 AM   #10
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaranthe View Post
Does anybody still skate here? It's not too far from me, and I was considering checking it out when my new skates come...
Heck yeah, come on down! Dennis and I (well, plus my hubby and our kids) usually skate the Saturday morning session (11 AM - 2 PM), sometimes shifting to the Sunday afternoon session (2 PM - 5:30 PM) when necessary...a few weeks we've gone to both sessions. We are plannning on going this Saturday.

Being almost summer, there aren't QUITE as many people coming out as there are in the winter/early spring...bad for the rink, but good for "us"...lots of room to maneuver, still have to dodge a few kids now and then, but it's generally a pretty good place/way to get your skate legs back, practice some basic shuffle moves, etc. Same old rules, though ("no backwards unless it's a designated backwards skate")...but it's still fun.

EDITTED TO ADD:
Don't forget to click the link in my first post on this thread and print off a coupon! After a while it does add up.

Just look for the crazy woman with the light up wheels and blinkies on the back - my hubby also has the blinkie lights on his, too. Can't miss us, especially when the lights go dim for a few songs. LOL
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:33 AM   #11
Randy Edwards

there is a group skate scheduled for Lima in a few weeks
Randy Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:37 AM   #12
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Edwards View Post
That's not too far...we may actually be able to hit that one.

Day? Session? Is it already posted in this section somewhere?
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #13
Randy Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Skaters View Post
That's not too far...we may actually be able to hit that one.

Day? Session? Is it already posted in this section somewhere?

yes in this section on the 23rd, i would assume its an evening session
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:49 AM   #14
7Skaters

Quote:
yes in this section on the 23rd, i would assume its an evening session
A Saturday? COOL! Hubby's off on Saturday's!!

*goes on over to check out the thread*
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #15
amaranthe

Darn, my new skates won't come until next week sometime, and I'm really AWFUL on quads so far... but maybe I'll dare the public humiliation and come anyhow. Have to see what happens -- but I definitely want to do it when my new skates come!

Thanks!

Quote:
Heck yeah, come on down! Dennis and I (well, plus my hubby and our kids) usually skate the Saturday morning session (11 AM - 2 PM), sometimes shifting to the Sunday afternoon session (2 PM - 5:30 PM) when necessary...a few weeks we've gone to both sessions. We are plannning on going this Saturday.

Being almost summer, there aren't QUITE as many people coming out as there are in the winter/early spring...bad for the rink, but good for "us"...lots of room to maneuver, still have to dodge a few kids now and then, but it's generally a pretty good place/way to get your skate legs back, practice some basic shuffle moves, etc. Same old rules, though ("no backwards unless it's a designated backwards skate")...but it's still fun.

EDITTED TO ADD:
Don't forget to click the link in my first post on this thread and print off a coupon! After a while it does add up.

Just look for the crazy woman with the light up wheels and blinkies on the back - my hubby also has the blinkie lights on his, too. Can't miss us, especially when the lights go dim for a few songs. LOL
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #16
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaranthe View Post
Darn, my new skates won't come until next week sometime, and I'm really AWFUL on quads so far... but maybe I'll dare the public humiliation and come anyhow. Have to see what happens -- but I definitely want to do it when my new skates come!

Thanks!
We've got a whole skate box so we may be able to muck around with the rentals a little to give ya the best ride possible in 'em.

Though, thanks to Natalie, they do keep their rentals in pretty darn good shape. The laces may be frayed or whatever, but everything else *on* the skate is kept in good working order.

Learning/re-learning/doing with your own is always better, and easier...but desperate times call for desperate measures sometimes. LOL
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #17
Kit_Kat
The Jam Skater

Quote:

hey randy whens the date for lima? me and nite might be able to make it. depends if we have the money.
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #18
amaranthe

I'll keep it in mind! I'm champing at the bit to get back on wheels!

Quote:
We've got a whole skate box so we may be able to muck around with the rentals a little to give ya the best ride possible in 'em.

Though, thanks to Natalie, they do keep their rentals in pretty darn good shape. The laces may be frayed or whatever, but everything else *on* the skate is kept in good working order.

Learning/re-learning/doing with your own is always better, and easier...but desperate times call for desperate measures sometimes. LOL
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #19
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit_Kat View Post
hey randy whens the date for lima? me and nite might be able to make it. depends if we have the money.
All the info. is in this thread:
http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=19573

It's only an hour away from me...and on a Saturday....hubby's thinking about it already.
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #20
Randy Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit_Kat View Post

the 23rd just over a week from now