S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Group Skates
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Skates Discussions about night skates, organized skate tours, skating party weekends, and similar group social skating events.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:33 PM   #1
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Default SkateDC Weekend

Okay folks, SkateDC Weekend is next weekend! Who's gonna be there?

If you've never done it, this one is an awesome city skate. The group putting on the event does an amazing job, and I can assure you a good time will be had by all. DC clears out pretty well on Friday afternoon, so car traffic is surprisingly light. And having been built by masons, the skating surfaces are excellent. Yes, I'm serious, those are some of the best sidewalks around.

This is a totally free event, all you've gotta do is show up! Every skate groups up in front of the White House, which in and of itself is pretty cool. And really, how often do you get to skate past the seat of power? Take the opportunity to let them know what you think, wave with as many fingers as you like!

There seem to be plenty of hotel rooms available nearby (anything within the heart of DC means you can skate from your hotel to the White House) in the $100/night range, and I think we saw some a bit cheaper. We'll be running up I-95 early Friday morning with room for a passenger or two if needed.

If you make it up there, say hi to me: look for red skates, white helmet, and a monkey by my side.
Old May 4th, 2008, 03:30 AM   #2
gopherfan

I live in NoVa (I think that's what the locals call Northern Virginia) so I'll be around as much as possible, probably the more advanced stuff.
gopherfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #3
sk8scott

Is this a continuation of what used to be called "Skate Of the Union"? I did that a couple of times last decade, and it was lots of fun. Scenic group skates through the city, and nicely organized. Met some fun people, too.

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:52 AM   #4
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Is this an inline event only? Or can quad skaters and skateboarders come too? I will laugh up a storm if my boyfriend and I can pass all you inliners on my rollerskates and his skateboard lol.
Old May 5th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #5
gopherfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8scott View Post
Is this a continuation of what used to be called "Skate Of the Union"? I did that a couple of times last decade, and it was lots of fun. Scenic group skates through the city, and nicely organized. Met some fun people, too.

----Scott
I'm not the expert, but I think so. In the past they had a half marathon the same weekend, but this year it falls June 15. That half marathon is called the "Skate of the Union." www.skateoftheunion.org
Old May 5th, 2008, 01:58 AM   #6
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
Is this an inline event only? Or can quad skaters and skateboarders come too? I will laugh up a storm if my boyfriend and I can pass all you inliners on my rollerskates and his skateboard lol.
It looks like even bikes are allowed, so I can't imagine them excluding a quad skater. Skateboard, I dunno. Have fun and take pictures!
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:19 AM   #7
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Well, if my boyfriend cant go, I wont. He can even pump going UP hill! He has a super fast slalom board. Wheels are wheels to me!
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #8
sk8scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
I'm not the expert, but I think so. In the past they had a half marathon the same weekend, but this year it falls June 15. That half marathon is called the "Skate of the Union." www.skateoftheunion.org
That's the one! It's even the same course as the last time I did the event (somewhere between 1999 and 2001). Too bad it's not about 4 weeks later, as I'd be in the general neighborhood.

----Scott
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #9
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
Is this an inline event only? Or can quad skaters and skateboarders come too?
There were quads in Miami this year and bikes at DC last year. As long as you weren’t endangering anybody, I can’t see how it would be an issue. I’m sure some people might pose the question of whether you both could keep up, but honestly, the overall pace isn’t that fast for 90% of the stuff.
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #10
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
Too bad it's not about 4 weeks later, as I'd be in the general neighborhood.
The race does fall about four weeks later than the SkateDC Weekend, at least this year: it’s June 15th. Last year it fell on the same weekend as SkateDC, and I didn’t wanna miss a city skate to do the race; now I kinda wish I had, because that course sounds awesome. Oh well.
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #11
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Last edited by Bill in Houston; May 5th, 2008 at 09:09 PM.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #12
Intrepid

Quote:

----Scott

This is a little long but maybe it will help explain what is going on with the Skate DC Weekend and Skate of the Union this year.

I am part of the Skater's Quest group that organizes the Skate of the Union (SOTU) event. One of the main issues that we have to deal with every year as we plan for SOTU in December is formally requesting the Fairfax County Police Department's approval to use their driver training facility for the event. Since SOTU is a charity event for Special Olympics, the police department allows SOTU to be the only non-police event to take place at their facility. Once we get approval, then we have to request a date where the facility is not being used for police training; so we donít know exactly when SOTU will take place until we hear back from the police department.

Last year we pushed hard, and were successful, in scheduling SOTU on the Saturday of the Skate DC weekend. As it turned out, having a synchronized Skate DC/SOTU weekend sounded better than the reality. It caused a logistical problem of getting to/from DC/Chantilly and skaters had to decide whether or not they wanted to go to the track in the morning or stay in DC for the morning skate.

So, this year we did not want to conflict with Skate DC and just let the police department assign us the date that worked best for them; which is Sunday, June 15. Now there are two reasons to come to DC to skate: Skate DC Weekend and Skate of the Union.

Skate DC Weekend is a great time; the Washington Area Roadskaters have scheduled two-days of skates that showcase the DC area. Where else can you skate along the Potomac at sunset, visit the Capitol, the Smithsonian, the National Mall, and the Lincoln, Jefferson, and WWII monuments

Also, check out the Skate of the Union thread, there is event information and pictures of the black-ice track.
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #13
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

I just double checked with Carl Ford, who is either one of the key people in WAR (Washington Area Roadskaters), or spends a great deal of time impersonating one:

Quote:
Quads, bicycles, skateboards etc. are welcome. Anyone who is keeping up and not endangering others on the skates is welcome!
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #14
sk8scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
The race does fall about four weeks later than the SkateDC Weekend, at least this year: itís June 15th. Last year it fell on the same weekend as SkateDC, and I didnít wanna miss a city skate to do the race; now I kinda wish I had, because that course sounds awesome. Oh well.
Alas, I will be in Bawlmer in mid-July. So, it's the June 15th date that is 4 weeks early.

The course is nice, but I wouldn't necessarily put it in the awesome category. Then again, I'm kind of picky! What was awesome when I skated the course was the young she-cop who monitored the start/finish area. Yowza!!!

----Scott
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #15
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Quote:
Alas, I will be in Bawlmer in mid-July....
Done, your on my calendar.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #16
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

We just got back from the Friday Night Pajama Skate. I got to carry the boom box for about half the skate. What an honor!

Seriously, you guys are missing out! But all hope is not lost, you’ve got a little over nine hours to get to the White House…
Old May 10th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #17
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
We just got back from the Friday Night Pajama Skate. I got to carry the boom box for about half the skate. What an honor!

Seriously, you guys are missing out! But all hope is not lost, youíve got a little over nine hours to get to the White HouseÖ
Have fun and make sure to take lots of pictures to share with us!

Remember when you carry the boom-box you automaically get an "upper body workout"...
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #18
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgit View Post
Have fun and make sure to take lots of pictures to share with us!
Jenn hasn’t been able to skate much lately because of school, so at the last minute she decided to bring her bike instead. So she got promoted to Official Photographer. I rigged up a video camera mount for the handlebars, so we might just have some awesome footage when it’s all said and done (or we might have a Canon Elura forever entombed in a DC pothole). Not sure if we’ll bring the SLR or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgit View Post
Remember when you carry the boom-box you automaically get an "upper body workout"...
I was having fun playing with the shifting weight, actually. Kinda holding it out behind me and shifting it from one hand to the other as I skated… still not as cool as a shopping cart, though. (Although skating with a shopping cart, while highly recommended, doesn’t get you nearly as many laughs as skating through DC on a Friday night blasting that “Lady Humps” song.)
Old May 10th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #19
gopherfan

Quote:
I looked for you on my first friday night skate, but you weren't there. I've been told by the fast guys that friday night are a little too leisurely, but it was worth seeing the monuments. The loop around Hains Point and sprinting to the Lincoln memorial got the heart going. We skated right up to the Washington monument. It was freeky looking straight up the side. It's amazing how flat a wall can be for 555 feet.

I wanted to stick around for the house of brews and the pajama skate, but decided I had a drive home and there would be lots of skating the next few days. I wish the weather had turned out a little better, but it looks like only 1 skate will be rained out.
Old May 10th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #20
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
I looked for you on my first friday night skate, but you weren't there.
Yeah, I couldn’t help noticing that. A major accident turned I-95 into a parking lot for ninety minutes. Since we realized we weren’t gonna make it in time for that skate, we took our time, had a nice sit-down dinner, etc. Didn’t get to DC until about 8:30. I was bummed, but such is life.

This morning’s skate got rained out. It was touch and go there for a while, but I managed not to cry. We just got back from museuming and are gonna go grab lunch prior to the 3:00pm Train Skate. Hope to see you (and other skateloggers!!!) there. Weather forecast looks perfect for that one as well as both skates (morning and afternoon) maŮana.