S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old May 21st, 2010, 01:31 PM   #121
rhetttro
Owner, Pop's Skateland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billj View Post
Love the skates but... Can somebody PLEASE(I am begging) tell me what plate that is?
Bill
I believe that is an XL. My younger brother had a set back in the 70's.
Old May 21st, 2010, 02:09 PM   #122
rsfaze
Old School™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhetttro View Post
I believe that is an XL. My younger brother had a set back in the 70's.
very well could be, I was reciting from memory, but since his name is xlracer that would make sense
Old May 21st, 2010, 02:15 PM   #123
Billj
Roll Model

Default XL

Makes sense, and I seem to remember mine having an XL stamp on them... I have slept a few times since then so my memory of them is a little vague. I looked around the obvious places for an XL plate and came up empty. Any thoughts on where I might find one for a standard mount(not short) size 9?
Billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #124
ogfarmskater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2sk888 View Post
Here's mine... although the two that have wheels on them in this pic have already gone to new homes....

And this lovely pair was added after that pic was taken:

And, the beat up white 353s that are mostly hidden in the first pic are part of a new project at the moment.... so another pic of those will be here soon!
Hey Rebecca what are these at the bottom do you have a model number on them anywhere?
Old May 28th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #125
xlracer

Hey Billj the answer to the question is yes that is an XL. You will have a real hard time finding one these days. I almost cried when I saw the pristine condition of this one the day it arrived. The XL was sand cast and made by hand by a fellow that past away years ago. Mike V in TX made the SST and it was a very close replica to the XL. The toe stop on the SST was set out further from the trucks to accomodate the space needed for the bigger wheels of the 80's vs the little wood wheels we raced on in the 70's.
I bought a SST from the DOC a few years ago. If anyone would have an XL or a SST it would be DOC. Good Luck.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #126
xlracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin_Endo View Post
I knew the edges as well as the finish looked a little out of form

SST it is
WRONG! Sorry.
Old May 28th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #127
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Not here...

Sorry xlracer...After all this time, I have YET to own an XL..

I did discover a size 8 (huge) SLT the digging in the archives the other day though...
Old May 30th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #128
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogfarmskater View Post
Hey Rebecca what are these at the bottom do you have a model number on them anywhere?
Those are a Featherweight and I was told it was the ice version. It seems just the tiniest bit sturdier than the only other pair of (roller) Featherweights I've had my hands on.
Live2sk888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:56 AM   #129
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Default Earth to Brian

Quote:
SST it is
Whose skates are they? Hellooooooooo.....?
Old June 1st, 2010, 12:04 AM   #130
Smokin_Endo
Satellite Commander

Quote:
^ look like Ultimate I's to me but may be something similar (SST) ?
pay attention skate Nazi's I thought they were Ulty ones I was just saying I guess Rob was right but as it's clearly displayed in my original reply I personally knew nothing about them and was merely making small talk...I wasn't trying to say my WORD IS LAW ! ! ! ! grow up people it's a discussion board and a public one at that

your bound to have mistakes hear and there when identifying things through open discussion
Smokin_Endo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:46 AM   #131
xlracer

[QUOTE=Doc Sk8;395685]Sorry xlracer...After all this time, I have YET to own an XL.. [B]

This just proves how rare they are. The DOC does not own any.
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:41 PM   #132
Emmalime

Newbie here, I was hoping to find some speed skates "used" for my daughter's 13th birthday because she wants to get into Roller Derby. I didn't know skates were so expensive! So, I went to the flea market and the only thing they had at this one place were these Oberhamer 61s (is this called "old school"?) with Sure-Grip Cyclone plates and Meta-Flex Dragster wheels. Strangely they're her size! I hope I did good for her. Any suggestions regarding another pair for skating to and from school outside and sidewalks, would be appreciated..Please forgive the ignorance about skating..BTW I registered hoping later she is active on this forum. Seems like a great place to hang for skaters!

Emmalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:50 PM   #133
Dec8rSk8r

Oh, most of us would love to find some Oberhamers at a flea market! So you did well. The Sure Grip Invader package is real popular with the derby crowd lately.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:00 PM   #134
Emmalime

Where would that package be available?
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:08 PM   #135
niteridr95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalime View Post
Where would that package be available?
http://www.derbysmack.com/rebel-invader.html
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:17 PM   #136
Dec8rSk8r

There are a lot of vendors carrying it. Ultimate Skate Supply, Leadjammer Skates, Connies, DerbySmack were some that popped up when I googled it.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 10:18 PM   #137
masmojo

Thumbs up Did Good

Quote:
Newbie here, I was hoping to find some speed skates "used" for my daughter's 13th birthday because she wants to get into Roller Derby. I didn't know skates were so expensive! So, I went to the flea market and the only thing they had at this one place were these Oberhamer 61s (is this called "old school"?) with Sure-Grip Cyclone plates and Meta-Flex Dragster wheels. Strangely they're her size! I hope I did good for her. Any suggestions regarding another pair for skating to and from school outside and sidewalks, would be appreciated..Please forgive the ignorance about skating..BTW I registered hoping later she is active on this forum. Seems like a great place to hang for skaters!
I would say that maybe unwittingly you did a GREAT job!! For sure she will proibably want some more modern wheels, but those are great plates and a great boot. Later on down the road she could switch to Double action trucks, But it's not really necessary!

Yeah wish I could find a Pair of Ob's like those at a Flea market and that fit me!!

Oh yeah a pic of my Ob's
masmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 10:55 PM   #138
Emmalime

I took them to the local skating rink and the guy told me that it would be a major pain to take the wheels off because there are loose bearings. True? Also he said the axles would need replacing, because new bearings would not fit them. Is that true? He did mention the double action trucks, but suggested these would be great for skating in the rink, and to delay getting new ones until she establishes she's serious about it for around 6 months.

I was hoping to be able to put street wheels on them because she wants to skate to school, which is about 3 + blocks away. This "Rebel Invader" skate package seems to be priced fairly competitively, but Obviously for a short-term measure if it were feasible and not too difficult I'd opt for some modern bearings and wheels for the street and then just switch them up and go with the Dragsters for indoors for a few months and see how she's doing with it. Choices, choices. It was very serendipitous to find these though, I think.
Old October 21st, 2010, 11:24 PM   #139
niteridr95

Quote:
I took them to the local skating rink and the guy told me that it would be a major pain to take the wheels off because there are loose bearings. True? Also he said the axles would need replacing, because new bearings would not fit them. Is that true? He did mention the double action trucks, but suggested these would be great for skating in the rink, and to delay getting new ones until she establishes she's serious about it for around 6 months.

I was hoping to be able to put street wheels on them because she wants to skate to school, which is about 3 + blocks away. This "Rebel Invader" skate package seems to be priced fairly competitively, but Obviously for a short-term measure if it were feasible and not too difficult I'd opt for some modern bearings and wheels for the street and then just switch them up and go with the Dragsters for indoors for a few months and see how she's doing with it. Choices, choices. It was very serendipitous to find these though, I think.
true about the axles.... and the dragsters inside arent going to be that great....
Old October 22nd, 2010, 12:38 AM   #140
ursle
Street Skater

9.5 Quite fresh
#3 NOS
BTW I have a set of mounted Craigathons that I could install to enhance the view, I prefer outdoors
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote