S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Group Skates
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Skates Discussions about night skates, organized skate tours, skating party weekends, and similar group social skating events.

Old March 5th, 2012, 03:25 AM   #1
Milkywhite

Default Where to find Quads and accessories

Other than Roller-con in Vegas are there any other conferences in the states? Any good skate shops in the mid west(I live in Iowa)??
Milkywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:49 AM   #2
Poobah

Define "conferences."

RollerCon is a roller derby convention.

Nearly every roller derby tournament has skate vendors there. Sometimes with almost as many vendors as RollerCon. It's one of the ways the organizers cover their costs, by selling tables to vendors.

North Central Region Playoffs are happening this year in Niagara Falls, NY (nobody from the region placed a bid). South Central seems to be happening in Lincoln, NE this year October 5-7th, which I guess is a lot closer. I'm not sure where USARS is holding their Nationals, but fairly often those are in Lincoln as well.

Thing to know about any of these: Any quad stuff is going to be focused on the disciplines for the event.

There's at least two trade shows for rink owners and skate shop types, but those are probably not aimed at consumers.

If I were looking for a skate builder in Iowa, I'd check around Des Moines. There's something like three derby leagues there.
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:56 AM   #3
the california kid

Default The Best Place Is Here

Forum Members have everything used, new, new old stock, and some can make custom everything......................
the california kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #4
arcadefreaque

Where are you located in Iowa? I'm in the Southeast part of Iowa, but venture around the state. I haven't run into anything terrific for quad skate shops in Iowa (I recall someone handing out fliers for a place in Minnesota awhile back), but if you are looking for pads or parts that are not specific to skates, there is a great shop in Des Moines - Subsect Skate Shop - that is run by an extremely friendly fella, and sells gear at a VERY reasonable price (i.e. everything I've bought from him has cost me well less than I could buy it for online - which seems rare for a brick and mortar shop).

What sort of conferences are you looking for? There are seminars on occasion around the state, and plenty of training opportunities if you are willing to travel out of state. You might consider ECDX, if you are willing to travel out East a bit. Also right around rollercon time there is Rolling Sturgis which is a bit closer to home (not sure if its more of a conference or more of a party thought, as I didn't get to go last year to check it out)
arcadefreaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Milkywhite

My bad, a convention sounds better than a conference. I am looking for a group of vendors, boots, bearings, pads, etc. I would like to touch and try on things, rather than order something on-line and have to send it back. Maybe a class or two about skate building.

Yes forum members are the best, i just don't know what i need yet.

I live close to waterloo, i asked around at the skating rinks in des moines of places to get gear and they could all order about anything but didn't stock much. I don't blame them.
Milkywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #6
arcadefreaque

Farmfresh territory 

I definitely wouldnít make the trip from waterloo to check out the selection in Des Moines, but if you happen to be there, Subsect seems to have the most selection Iíve found in a store in Iowa Ė which isnít a terrible lot of things, but a few different styles of pads seem to be in stock (and at super reasonable prices).

Iím guessing short of venturing to one of the bigger events mentioned or a bigger community with a skate shop (probably outside of Iowa!), youíll be stuck borrowing gear from teammates and trying it out. Our team keeps a bag of various pads Ė from protech to destroyers, scabs, 180ís etc, as well as a few different styles of skates and wheels that get shared among us when people are curious about trying something new Ė thatís about as good as weíve been able to do thus far in our corner of Iowa. My wife and I travelled to Tennessee awhile ago and had the pleasure to stop and shop at a Ďrealí skate shop, and Iíll say that if someone ever decides to open up a shop like that in Iowa, Iím going to need a second or third job (and they will probably be able to remain in business just off of my familyís purchases) (several different pads, bonts and antiks in stock in even tiny sizes, a track in the store to try skates out on, etc. WOW!)
arcadefreaque is offline   Reply With Quote