S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old August 8th, 2018, 03:14 AM   #21
MissyPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post
Yep.Scott corey from NSW makes the best wheels....
Ever.

Our gang get out that way maybe 6 times a year.
Usually when the interstaters come down.
We skate at lavo and sunshine..
Do you guys just go on a general skating night? Is there lots of you? Like would I notice? Or do you book the place out?
MissyPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 03:37 AM   #22
MissyPatch

Quote:
Yep.Scott corey from NSW makes the best wheels....
Ever.

Our gang get out that way maybe 6 times a year.
Usually when the interstaters come down.
We skate at lavo and sunshine..
Do you guys just go to a normal skate session? Maybe I'll see you.... or notice you all if there's a lot of you.

Oops..... I didn't think my previous reply worked...... lol.... can't work it.....
Old August 8th, 2018, 04:03 AM   #23
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

You'd notice us.
Bunch of old guys with quads on...
We sit right down the back...
Old August 8th, 2018, 04:36 AM   #24
MissyPatch

Quote:
You'd notice us.
Bunch of old guys with quads on...
We sit right down the back...
Hahaha..... well I'm old too...... I bet there's lots of antics when you guys get together
Old August 8th, 2018, 07:36 AM   #25
HeBeGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyPatch View Post
Hahaha..... well I'm old too...... I bet there's lots of antics when you guys get together
Yeah, we get up to mischief when Melbourne tour is on

If you mainly skate Carra, I will edit my original recommendation to a 92a Scotty.
Old August 8th, 2018, 09:23 AM   #26
MissyPatch

Well I hope I get to see you all one day doing your tricks and stuff, and a speed skate...

Had a fall tonight on the rink!!!!! First one..... lol..... think I'm too old for this ****..... hahahaha

Not sure which is hurting more my shoulder or my pride...... lol

Thanks hebegb - now I'm just confused!!!! Hahahaha I did notice my wheels slipping tonight...... like they were too soft and not hard enough..... I was hoping not to end up with a crap load of wheels..... but I'm guessing that's just the nature of the hobby.
Old August 8th, 2018, 11:32 AM   #27
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Hello...... just wondering what the best wheels are for rink skating.....currently using 91a, thinking harder might be better??? Thoughts?
When you say best you mean most efficient, as you weight 120lbs, your low 90's durometer is a good start, remember, the softer the duro the more grip, the harder the duro the less grip, if you were outdoors you would want something in the low 80's duro because of sticks and stones, the lower duro would absorb the irregularities and keep rolling, while indoor, even on the same cement, you use a harder wheel (90's duro) because the floor is clean.

Scotties wheels are the best, because no other wheel is better, or more expensive, you don't necessarily need the absolute best wheel made, just a good low 90's duro wheel.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 04:23 PM   #28
MissyPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
When you say best you mean most efficient, as you weight 120lbs, your low 90's durometer is a good start, remember, the softer the duro the more grip, the harder the duro the less grip, if you were outdoors you would want something in the low 80's duro because of sticks and stones, the lower duro would absorb the irregularities and keep rolling, while indoor, even on the same cement, you use a harder wheel (90's duro) because the floor is clean.

Scotties wheels are the best, because no other wheel is better, or more expensive, you don't necessarily need the absolute best wheel made, just a good low 90's duro wheel.
Thanks...... I think I'll just get something a little harder than what I have and go from there........

Thanks everyone!!
Old August 8th, 2018, 08:41 PM   #29
netplaceus
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by busta9876 View Post
I found this post and I have the same question. I DO NOT intend to Hijack this thread, but I think its the SAME information we are seeking. I'm currently on suregrip monza 95a's, and I'm 265lb (125kg) currently (dropping, recently returned to skating) I skate on epoxy coated concrete indoor only. The 95a's grip like crazy, I really want to have a little bit of slide. A T-stop with the 95'a usually results in chatter from the wheels and if not careful the skate will bounce up. I'm wondering how much difference is there between 95a, 97, 101?

I bought some vanguard fan jet wheels that included some OLD re-groved tires on them. They felt very hard in my hand, I tried skating on them and I was sliding all over the place. T stop on those resulted in a very SMOOTH drag of all 4 wheels. I'd like to find something in the middle, but I have no idea how hard the old used wheels are. I did buy a durometer, but won't be here for a few days. Any suggestions? I'm looking at Anabolix for tires for my fan jets unless someone else has any suggestions?
No one can answer this question for you, there are too many variables, the biggest one being what you like, not what others like. There is no perfect wheel for everything.

Note the range for indoors goes up to 103, so grab something in the middle if that's what you think you would like. With what you described I doubt you would be happy with a 97, maybe start with a 101?

By the way many people LOVE sliding all over the place. Wheel preference is very subjective, even the words, "sliding all over the place" are very subjective. Also sorry to say, in my opinion anyway, epoxy coated concrete is
less than ideal and harder to work with. Grip and slide feel very different than wood to me. It is what it is, just experiment with it. You will likely need a different set of wheels if you ever skate on wood. Good luck!
Old August 9th, 2018, 02:25 AM   #30
fierocious1

Default a thing some are forgetting

Not all same duro wheels grip the same. Chemical composition differences of he urethane can make a wheel grip or slide. Softer duro makes a foot print larger but if the chemistry doesn't work with the skate surface, it may slip anyway. Your setup also has a huge bearing on how all this works. If you want slip you can... tighten up your cushions a bit to promote cushion binding, or if you want grip the opposite. Lots of variables to figure out for each individual skater. Not everyone has good skate talent and runs softer suspension. Some people like suspension as soft as possible, some do not, each person has their preference and that has a lot to do with how the wheels will grip. Myself, think weight has a lower affect than suspension on grip. Start with good quality wheels from the start and metal hubs. Monzas are ok, but I can tear the tread off them in a couple of days. My Shamans last for over a year before the tread is gone. So far the best "production wheel" I have found to skate on are Shamans. Different surfaces sometimes ask for different wheels, no one wheel does it all. I usually carry more than one extra set of wheels to compensate for floors. It's just part of the price to pay for getting what you want from a skate and skate wheels in different skate rinks.

95 duro is a good starting point on most rink floors. Depending on what you are seeking, slide or grip, you will still have to test wheels and try suspension changes to find what you seek.
Old August 9th, 2018, 06:54 AM   #31
HeBeGB

Jack, Les and myself have skated the rink you skate at, so between us we should be able to find something you will like.
Old August 9th, 2018, 07:17 AM   #32
leshomes

Default There fun in trying wheels

I found the first time at Carra on 96A scotty’s SE’s a bit slippery on hard cushions and I’m nearly double you yet these wheels work well in Brisbane.

The second trip I was on 94A Scotty’s Deano’s and they hung in there a bit better but was able to break them loose and hockey stop.

This year on a different plate set up (thanks Geoff ) with softer cushions I managed to stay up on some HeBe 78mm Yeager’s at 98A.

I guess it all depends on what Geoff & Paul said, how you skate, what duro your cushions are as well as the wheels. We all have tried lots of wheels till we get to a set we like, that’s part of the fun of skating.

You should see all the different wheels come out on the interstate trips
Old August 9th, 2018, 09:48 AM   #33
MissyPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeBeGB View Post
Jack, Les and myself have skated the rink you skate at, so between us we should be able to find something you will like.
When are you guys planning another trip? Or not yet in the pipe works? Do you skate at rollercity bayswater when you're here?
Old August 9th, 2018, 09:51 AM   #34
MissyPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshomes View Post
I found the first time at Carra on 96A scotty’s SE’s a bit slippery on hard cushions and I’m nearly double you yet these wheels work well in Brisbane.

The second trip I was on 94A Scotty’s Deano’s and they hung in there a bit better but was able to break them loose and hockey stop.

This year on a different plate set up (thanks Geoff ) with softer cushions I managed to stay up on some HeBe 78mm Yeager’s at 98A.

I guess it all depends on what Geoff & Paul said, how you skate, what duro your cushions are as well as the wheels. We all have tried lots of wheels till we get to a set we like, that’s part of the fun of skating.

You should see all the different wheels come out on the interstate trips
I think I might make my way up slowy..... and just see how I go....... there's a lot of different variables that have been mentioned..... so I guess Its just trial and error.....

Do you guys sell your wheels? Or do you travel with lots of sets depending on where you're going etc?
Old August 11th, 2018, 12:47 AM   #35
HeBeGB

Quote:
I think I might make my way up slowy..... and just see how I go....... there's a lot of different variables that have been mentioned..... so I guess Its just trial and error.....

Do you guys sell your wheels? Or do you travel with lots of sets depending on where you're going etc?
I do sell my wheels. But I rarely change away from my 95a's. I do go down to a 92a for Carra.