S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Aggressive Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to vert skating, skatepark tricks, aggressive street skating, action sports events, and the aggressive skating lifestyle.

Old August 3rd, 2008, 12:22 PM   #1
3i5g

Default New **Edit** Aug.01.08

Went on a mini road trip to Kamloops BC for POP contest. Did some Filming the day before the contest and fell right on my super bad hip The pain was so bad i had to go to hospital and i ended up getting a lift home and missed the contest Here is the litte footy i got the day before POP contest:

http://www.vimeo.com/1457568
3i5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Oh dude, hip is another thing you gotta be careful with.

Heh....me being 43 gives me a unique view into our body's limitations and malfunctions. A colleague of mine goes in next friday for a total hip replacement! Could you f'n imagine? Like where the f#*@ do they cut?
"Here nurse, could you hold these guts outta the way while I slide this hip in there......now move those leg bones," ugggg. I just grossed myself out writing that.

The only reason I say anything, is because my right hip is again, bruised and red from doing an unexpected backflip on it yesterday. Had I not been wearing my o'neil dirtbike crash girdle, I'd have been f#*@d.

These here. I'm on my second pair.
http://www.bikemania.biz/2008_Oneal_...oneal_1282.htm

I've said it before, you go so big that you gotta pad up homie. You're WAY too good to be sidelined bro. I'd like to watch your videos next year too.

What did the hospital say btw?
Old August 3rd, 2008, 02:44 PM   #3
roller_dudette
skate addict!

hey i know you think i have never/will never hurt myself bad but guess what, u will! why r there no adults out there really? i am the 1st person in my family 2 have a cast on. i wear all the protective gear out there too. if its flat ground and no tricks, i dont wear a helmet but a blader here is now paralyzed from neck down and he was in his teens. rails! but i wont roll anywhere now w/out knee pads, crap oozing from my knees 2 weeks isnt fun. and knees is best way and the only way now i will fall.

my question, do you want 2 sk8 for a couple more years or for 30+? if so, go 4 the best because u wont otherwise. all the old vert sk8rs have all the gear and most have plates and screws in their body still, but they CAN still sk8. of course its up 2 u if u want 2 sk8 a long time or just now. if its just hips, bad dog shorts r good. i make my own out of motorcycle pads or use modified crash pads and dont give a crap if my hips look big. ima girl so i think added curves might be good lol.
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 03:06 AM   #4
s243a

I agree, that pads are important but I often find it too hot to wear hip pads. Maybe though that's because I only ever wear them under Jeans and I skate in shorts in the summer time.
s243a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #5
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

You able to skate 3i5g? How bad did you f*#k your hip up?
Old August 5th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #6
3i5g

Taking a break for a week or so, i can still skate on it but if i fall on it again im gonna be in bad shape
Old August 6th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #7
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Man, you aughta try those oneal crash pants I posted about. They've sure helped mine. I bust ass quite a bit and it helps big time.
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #8
3i5g

As soon as I put any padding on I die x3 more than without, even at indoor skateparks i will take my helmet off until someone tells me to put it back on lol
Old August 6th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #9
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

"Terrible shame, that."
Bender Bending Rodriguez circa 3000

Old August 6th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #10
CrazeeDave
Geriatric Quad Class

Default gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3i5g View Post
As soon as I put any padding on I die x3 more than without, even at indoor skateparks i will take my helmet off until someone tells me to put it back on lol
I am exactly the same way....gear totally inhibits my freedom of movement.
All know this is a big risk but some like you and I are dumb enough to do it anyway. The trick is in the ability to fall well and not to screw up too badly when **** happens.....and it will.
CrazeeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #11
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Well, do what you like; I USE the absolute crap outta my pads. I'd feel naked without them, and all exposed. Bails would hurt regardless of how well you fall. (crowded skateparks demand occasional bails) and that 12' coping wouldn't even be on my menu without all my pads on.

Plus, I got an hour (plus or minus) to skate at lunch time, then back to work with my slacks and button down shirt. It wouldn't be professional to come limping in, with a busted up elbow and a head injury.

The main reason I pad up is that I absolutely have to skate tomorrow. I can't risk tomorrow's skate on today's vanity or whatever the excuse I might justify it with. Thus my sig.

Of course, my skating might be a bit different from the normal aggro skate. I kill the bowls in a flow manner, generating speeds of whatever gravity can do in 14'. Only the BMX's are going faster, and not many of them.

When I screw around at the lake, or in the street I generally just cover my one bad knee.

That and I'm old as hell, and dammit, falling hurts more now by crackey! You whippersnappers hold it down too!
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #12
roller_dudette
skate addict!

im w/ foot. none of us r making a living out of it. i walk to the beat of my own drum and do what i have to do 2 roll. i plan on sk8n a long time because i love the activity, what i accomplish isnt as important as doing it. c-dave, ur the only quad guy i know sans pads. doing this being a female and older is dumb as it is, no pads would leave me crippled. i already get enough crap esp. now, that i should quit. my mom already refuses to ever see me sk8 and is hoping my suffering will knock sense into me. i dont plan on hurtin myself again. and if it means a few less inches of air, i dont care. i get too high as it is. i rip ok w/ pads on, and in better shape (ok not now tho) cause i got lead sk8s that will never die and an inch of foam in my pants. if i had no pads, just would have 2 pray that i break my neck since 2 me a life brainless or in a chair is unbearable. its ur comfort level. i am well respected here despite my pads. dudes think im cool enough since only older woman out here beating the crap out of the bowls. but i remember when i was in high school there was lots of pressure 2 conform 2 an image, just lead my own way anyways.

if i just cruise a flat area, chance of hitting my head is less then getting hit by a car crossing the street so dont wear a helmet but not in a bowl.
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 04:39 AM   #13
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

Crazee D is retired so he doesn't have to worry about getting up the morning after.

Myself I've taken to wearing wrist guards on my outings. They've saved me a couple of times. I wear knee pads when doing anything on ramps. Someday I will get a helmet for if I get to go to an indoor skatepark (not likely with my family).

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 05:02 AM   #14
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Lets see: I have hit my head, elbows, knees, wrists, and most everything else. Time to recover is roughly 5-10 seconds. Time without them, who knows. Days missed at work or with family: 0.

Is it possible to still be injured, of course, but a superficial impact is not going to stop me.
Old August 10th, 2008, 01:47 AM   #15
geriatricskate

Firstly I have to say:
Niiiiiiiice skating!!!!!!

I hope the hip is better now!

I managed to cane my upper body half on Thursday; mainly bruised some ribs and did something to my left shoulder when coming off that box
http://vimeo.com/1498062
whilst trying to grind across and down the box.

Going back on Tuesday for another attempt or so
geriatricskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 05:52 AM   #16
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geriatricskate View Post
Firstly I have to say:
Niiiiiiiice skating!!!!!!

I hope the hip is better now!

I managed to cane my upper body half on Thursday; mainly bruised some ribs and did something to my left shoulder when coming off that box
http://vimeo.com/1498062
whilst trying to grind across and down the box.

Going back on Tuesday for another attempt or so
Okay, so you are now kicking my arse! I am totally crap at grinds and haven't even tried a soul. Now I gotta catch up with you. Like I said before, you inspire me! Keep it up!
Old August 10th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #17
fablemaker2
Pathological skater

i used to live by the pads...but now i find i fall much more with them on than off....so off they came. i became dependent on them and too willing to go down if things didn't go right. i'm now better at improvising, turning a failed grind into a roundoff or something silly. if things don't go right on a vert wall i just collapse like a rag doll and slide on down.

if i'm trying something really off the hook i'll pad up until i get comfortable with it.

i've said it before: it's all about knowing how and when to fall. of course, if you don't feel comfortable with that, i say pad up until you're good with it.
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote