S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old November 10th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #1161
Derrick

Ok got the cartwheel landing.

Last session one of my skates came out from under me while I was entering a spin. Like it was on ice. Cleaned my wheels but it dit it again. I didnít fall or anything but ny spin was anticlimactic. (sometimes itís anticlimatic all on itís own)

DJ siad hte same thing happened to him on the same spot on the floor. He told me his story first so I know he wasnít humoring me. Thereís a slippery spot out there.

Then last nigh,wierdly, my skates just seem to be dragging. I kept speed but found it slightly laborious. Hmm..... Couldnít decide whether it was skate issue, floor issue, or age issue.
Old November 17th, 2017, 04:17 AM   #1162
Derrick

Can now do a decent cartwheel on skates. The landing isnít quite as pretty as off skates. Itís a silly thing to do, but it goes nicely after a scratch spin. But I don't know quite where to go from there. Iíve been working on just landing one foot and glide off arebesque. But I donít have a lot of momentum after the landing.
Old Today, 09:21 AM   #1163
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Default Conquering Rentals

They say it's the skater, not the skate. Well, if you are good enough, this is true. I guess I have made that elite club. (pats myself on the back)

I drove 30 miles to Holiday Skate in Orange, only to notice upon arriving, I did not have my skates. Oh the HORROR. I immediately started the car and said, no way to rentals. But, I had missed a few sessions, and decided to bite the bullet. Lucky I am a 10.5/11 in tennis shoes. Actually 10.5, though I often wear an 11. The size 10, always run large, skates I tried fit well. Well, the left skate felt stretched out, and the front truck was gimpy. But I got on the floor, and I could skate OK. I was shocked at how slow they were. Slow bearings and SOFT art size wheels. I could hardly make noise as I tried some toe tapping to the music. I actually skated just fine. I used my normal lean that I use with my SF DA45, but I used pre-emptive heel and toe lifts to achieve the turning the plates could not supply themselves. Yeah, I remember way back to 2011 when I was skating the Rebels and white Mags, I had started experimenting with toe and heel lifts to turn, and not just depend on the plate. Still do it now. Sometimes I just lean, and let the plates do the work, and other times I earn it. Only tonight that I was forced onto relatively crummy 10 degree skates do I really know where I stand. I CAN make 10 degree maneuver well. Well, bully for me.

I did swap out the left skate. Got lucky. The 2nd left skate fit well like the right. Like the two were a proper pair, not a mismatch pair. And then I just went at it. Boy, it was a slog though. And I did almost catch some edges on transitions. Mainly due to fatigue. The long plate skate reacted much slower than my short plates, and took more effort to lift a toe or heel. I started to get a bit sloppy at the end. But I call it a nice night skating, and certainly a moral victory. Save for the super slow wheels, I pretty much conquered rentals, and was not conquered by them. So this means, I could put a 10 degree metal short forward plate on a boot and still make it hum. Without realizing it, I have developed the skills that are needed to make a 10 degree turn better. The wheels in the 'ol noggin are a turning.