S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old September 13th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Legacysage

Default Sorry for all the questions! Gritty bearings?

Gritty bearings. A challenge I thought I was only to face BEFORE cleaning my bearings. However, even afterwards the grittiness remains. Though, this grittiness is rather more consistant. As I've stated in every topic and post before this, my town does not have the greatest selection of skate parts. Only one store sells a small selection. Anyways, I'd picked up some of this cheap skate crap to try and clean them. This little kit consisted of course, of the degreaser, speed gel, and... That's pretty much it. Now gel might be jumping out at you... I don't know, I was tired. Anyways, having absolute zero experience, I did my best to rip apart the bearings and piece them back together without contaminating the new lube with grit. I cleaned everything out and such... However, despite my efforts, the bearings still sound gritty?
I thought I had read up somewhere that it takes the gel a while to set... could this be affected by that? I've given the bearings a few spin throughs, but seeing as how it's so late, and I've got to be up in 6 hours... I can't exactly test them. The reason this MATTERS is because I rely on my skates for transportation. Basically, I need to know whether or not I'd be fine to take them, or if I've somehow screwed up and riding them now would permanently damage the bearings or something dramatic like that. Just because, since I've been told not to THROW money at them, that doesn't nessesarily I can't toss money to it. ;p Anyways, if you've ever experienced a similiar issue, and help you could provide would... help. I guess, in case this question isn't legitimate enough, my back up question is; What else besides speed oil/gel can be used to lubricate bearings? to go with that, would something like vegtable oil suffice? Or is that not viscuois enough? As usual, thank you for any input that you are able to provide. More than that though, thank you for dealing with/ taking the time to even read my post thus far. Yes, I'm talking to YOU! =p
Legacysage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

EIDT: almost missed something.......the FIRST thing to do when playing with wheels should be to wipe off the excess oil/grease and dirt from on the OUTSIDE of the bearing before even thinking about removing the bearings. small amounts or lube WILL get out of the bearing due to centrifugal force and oil and grease love to attract dirt. This CAN cause a gritty noise when spinning wheels but does NOT require a full bearing cleaning job.....as the doc would say...if it anit broke __________!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacysage View Post
Gritty bearings. A challenge I thought I was only to face BEFORE cleaning my bearings. However, even afterwards the grittiness remains. Though, this grittiness is rather more consistent. As I've stated in every topic and post before this, my town does not have the greatest selection of skate parts. Only one store sells a small selection. Anyways, I'd picked up some of this cheap skate crap to try and clean them. This little kit consisted of course, of the degreaser, speed gel, and... That's pretty much it. Now gel might be jumping out at you... I don't know, I was tired. Anyways, having absolute zero experience, I did my best to rip apart the bearings and piece them back together without contaminating the new lube with grit. I cleaned everything out and such... However, despite my efforts, the bearings still sound gritty?
If they sound dirty ...they are either still dirty or the races and/or balls could be damaged or pitted
I thought I had read up somewhere that it takes the gel a while to set... could this be affected by that?
With thicker lubes such as grease and such there is a "break down" time where the grease gets hot enough to "realize it's true consistency" there are 2 basic camps when is comes to bearing lube 3 in 1 /sewing machine oil (an other oils) and grease (thicker stuff) pro/con wise in a nutshell oil is easier and requires little if any break down to perform well but they require re-oiling more frequently and (IHMO) pick up more dirt and debris and therefore require sooner cleaning greases on the other hand last a LONG time and (again IHMO) attract less dirt but take a while of skating (or spinning on a drill)to get to the right thickness(?) for maximum speed.
I've given the bearings a few spin through, but seeing as how it's so late, and I've got to be up in 6 hours... I can't exactly test them. The reason this MATTERS is because I rely on my skates for transportation. Basically, I need to know whether or not I'd be fine to take them, or if I've somehow screwed up and riding them now would permanently damage the bearings or something dramatic like that.
mostly bearing get damaged by water/moisture setting long enough in them to start the metal rusting and as the rust eats at the metal you get pits and unsmooth areas....if this is the case they're beyond repair.....most often though it's just old fashioned grit trapped in them.
Just because, since I've been told not to THROW money at them, that doesn't necessarily I can't toss money to it. ;p Anyways, if you've ever experienced a similar issue, and help you could provide would... help. I guess, in case this question isn't legitimate enough, my back up question is; What else besides speed oil/gel can be used to lubricate bearings?
Sewing machine oil or "household 3 in 1 oil" cheap and easy to find....auto oil could work in a pinch veg oils could work for a bit but they break down into gunk far to quickly to be a any kind of good thing for your skates.
to go with that, would something like vegetable oil suffice?NO.
Or is that not viscous enough? As usual, thank you for any input that you are able to provide. More than that though, thank you for dealing with/ taking the time to even read my post thus far. Yes, I'm talking to YOU! =p
No need to be sorry.....this is the right forum area for all your questions!

here's a nice 7 page sticky post in Doc sk8's area.......should answer most of your bearing cleaning questions
http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=25902

Good luck hope it helps)

Last edited by Banzai; September 13th, 2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: lazinesss
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Legacysage

Wow, thanks for the info! It's proved rather useful, as my kit was only for two uses. Well, I've spent the past 4 hours this morning re-cleaning my bearings and lubing them. Yes, slow, but this time I made sure to get ALL the grease off, and completely clean them. I've even come across a few home remedies that help speed up the job! Right now, I'm just lazing out for a bit... long start for a morning... Then I'm going to tighten up my wheels, and I'll tell you how it goes! As far as that grittiness, some of it is still there. I know that I have completely cleaned the bearings properly, so I'm expecting them to atleast perform the way they had when I had first got them. If not, I'm wearing the bearings into the ground anyways. =)

Edit: It went alright. The noise is definately still there... same noise too. The noise is consistant though, so I think it's most likely bearing damage. It's not that sand noise... It's more like shehehehehehe woooooooo wooooooo wooooo. Other than that, I think it works alright. I mean, I've never had decent bearings before, so... I could atleast ride these. From a casual 3 step push off, I was able to travel around 80 feet. Good nuff for me I guess, haha =p I could use the exercise anyways... In regards of the comparison from when I got them till now, I can't really say. When I first got them, I was so used to riding the ultra wheels, so it was like heaven the first time. I don't think it glides quite the same as it did back then. Either that, or I've gotten better at skating. I highly doubt I've gotten any better.

Though, to be honest... I have no clue how the bearings could've been damage so quickly? I thought you were supposed to clean them when they first started making noise, and that's pretty much what I did.
Old September 14th, 2011, 04:50 AM   #4
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

With bearing if they dont come clean the first time I just chuck em.....there's a line between saving money and wasting time somewhere.
Old September 14th, 2011, 07:48 AM   #5
Legacysage

Yeah, I see what you are saying. If there is no improvement, chances are there never will be. Well, atleast I've gotten some practice in, haha =p
Spent all day trying to get these silly things going right again... I don't know, I was just sort of in denial of the fact that they had died so quickly. SO! Since I obviously won't be using my current bearings once they are in the ground, how about some suggestions for some cost efficient good quality bearings? I don't mean to be a total cheap ass... I mean, if there is a gap in quality between one brand which sells bearings for $40, and a brand that sells for $60, I'll get the $60 ones. I don't want anything that rolls too terribly well, just something durable. After my 30km city adventure with the old bearings, I'd sure love to be able to go out the next day as well without any issues. You know? haha =p Well, as usual; anything helps.
Old September 14th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #6
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

Bones reds.

http://www.lowpriceskates.com/bones-reds.aspx
Old September 16th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #7
Stevbrdly
Tarry Hall

when i go to buy outdoor bearings, i go to garage sales and buy rollerblades that are priced under $5. take them apart, recycle the shell, take the soft insert (if its in good condition) to my rink and put the bearings in a jar of gasoline for a day. grease is all dissolved, and i have a nice shiny set of bearings. perfect for those things you use outside
Stevbrdly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #8
Legacysage

Yeah, I was actually thinking about doing that. Problem is that most of the time the bearings are those non servicable types? The ones that have the shields with the feathered edges...And C-clips are already quite unpleasant!
Old September 18th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #9
jaro

Quote:
Yeah, I was actually thinking about doing that. Problem is that most of the time the bearings are those non servicable types? The ones that have the shields with the feathered edges...And C-clips are already quite unpleasant!
You can open non servicable bearings with a thin nail or thick needle and a hammer. Making one hole in the right spot deforms the cover and allows you to remove it. If you are careful with the hammer there should be no damage to bearings. However its impossible to put the removed cover back.
jaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #10
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaro View Post
You can open non servicable bearings with a thin nail or thick needle and a hammer. Making one hole in the right spot deforms the cover and allows you to remove it. If you are careful with the hammer there should be no damage to bearings. However its impossible to put the removed cover back.
Don't do that.....there's A little "C" wire holding in all metal bearing shields on at least one side.
They're a pain in the rear to find and remove BUT using a hammers a bad idea all the way around.
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #11
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
Don't do that.....there's A little "C" wire holding in all metal bearing shields on at least one side.
They're a pain in the rear to find and remove BUT using a hammers a bad idea all the way around.
That really depends on the bearing, the cheaper ones have the shields crimped in and do need the pin method (though I've yet to meet a shield that needed a hammer to remove?), a strong pin or needle hooked under the shield next to the inner race is usually sufficient.

My current bearings (BSB ABEC 7) have the spring clip in there but previous (el-cheapo ABEC 5 and lower) did not.

Now with added Daughter!
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #12
jaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
This is how rollerblade bearings look like - , there is no C wire there on either side. They are not meant to be serviced.
jaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #13
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Remove One Shield somehow

Hi jaro

I think mine that looked like your photo had SureGrip on them. At the time I wasn't on SLF to ask for advice, so I removed the one shield from the top somehow. I cleaned leaving the other shield on.

After cleaning I was only able to save a few of them that still had some roll. Most were in bad shape.

Sorry if an aside.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY SkatingDave
Old April 7th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #14
Legacysage

Lightbulb

I know it's been quite a while since this thread was last posted in, and I apologize for that... However, I had another question I'd like to ask, and it IS regarding bearings so I felt this would be the appropriate place to ask it instead of just making a new thread.

Well, I happen to still be using the same bearings that I had been using last time... They've held up surprisingly well. The problem that I now face, however, is the extremely frequent contamination of the bearings. After removing the shields after only one short ride, it's not rare that I find fair sized little pebbles and dirt inside of the bearing races... Naturally, this is somewhat annoying as I have to clean them quite frequently just to keep them running smoothly. I understand that oils tend to pick up a lot more dirt, but should it really be happening this quickly? I mainly just skate in a small tennis court in a park by my house here, and other than dust it's quite clear. Generally, my sessions aren't much longer than 4 hours, as I mainly focus on technique and learning new maneuvers.

tl;dr- Bearings track dirt fast, and get gritty within the day; is it normal?
-What can I do (other than perhaps use grease) to prevent the contamination of the bearings?

Again, my apologies if it is inappropriate to post this on this thread...
Old April 7th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #15
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
I know it's been quite a while since this thread was last posted in, and I apologize for that... However, I had another question I'd like to ask, and it IS regarding bearings so I felt this would be the appropriate place to ask it instead of just making a new thread.

Well, I happen to still be using the same bearings that I had been using last time... They've held up surprisingly well. The problem that I now face, however, is the extremely frequent contamination of the bearings. After removing the shields after only one short ride, it's not rare that I find fair sized little pebbles and dirt inside of the bearing races... Naturally, this is somewhat annoying as I have to clean them quite frequently just to keep them running smoothly. I understand that oils tend to pick up a lot more dirt, but should it really be happening this quickly? I mainly just skate in a small tennis court in a park by my house here, and other than dust it's quite clear. Generally, my sessions aren't much longer than 4 hours, as I mainly focus on technique and learning new maneuvers.

tl;dr- Bearings track dirt fast, and get gritty within the day; is it normal?
-What can I do (other than perhaps use grease) to prevent the contamination of the bearings?

Again, my apologies if it is inappropriate to post this on this thread...
For outdoors use I usually recommend removal of just one shield (same goes for "dirty" indoor use - some rinks are filthy!), the other stays on there.

You would then refit the bearings with the shield on the outside of the wheel allowing the inside of the wheel to protect the bare side from debris.

Before I got my current bearings I liked to run my bearings naked but my rink is a clean place and I quite like cleaning them anyway

Now with added Daughter!
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #16
Legacysage

Remove one of the shields? Why?
I think I've misunderstood something...
I run the bearings with both of the shields on, the problem is that the dirt still gets in through the clearance gap of the shield and the bearing axle (I'm not sure what the technical name for it is, but essentially the bit that your axle goes through after you throw your spacer in).
Old April 7th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #17
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

I`m chiming in a little late and may have missed something along the way but if you remove just one of the shields it allows you access to cleaning the bearing while leaving the one side on it still gives some sort of protection from dirt and debris. Those shields can be a big pain to remove and I`ve seen a few differing ways in this thread alone on their removal. The way thats worked for me is just taking a little screw driver, I mean a little one like a jewelers screw driver and get in between the shield and the inner race and pry it up enough to get a pair of needle nose pliers in there to catch the shield and then pull it right off.
Bad thing about those shields IMO is that offer some but not alot of protection. And once something gets in it don`t usually get out without some help lol
Old April 7th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #18
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

This comes down to cleaning. I formerly used a home made rig for cleaning bearings that submerged the bearings in the cleaning solution. I would remove the Bearings and spin them, then put them back to soak. Now, though, I have the Bont bearing cleaner. Spinning the bearings at 10k rpm makes all the difference in the world. Also, I use 3-in-1 for my general purpose bearings. Someone else suggested this pro m7 gun oil which also seems to help clean and lubricate. Needless to say, after using the Bont device, no more gritty bearings.

Also, what kind of skates, bearings, and wheels are you using? Do the axles fit the bearings cleanly or is there a gap? If the bearings are 608 and the axles are standard axles for 608, there shouldn't be any room for stuff to get in the bearings.
Old April 7th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #19
Legacysage

Hmmm... Spinning, eh...
Knew I should've gotten that lathe...
Well, I DO have a drill press....

I'm just riding on some cheap skates right now.
K2-Power-M
Currently using the stock bearings and wheels, but I've purchased another cheap set and some wheels, both of which are from Firefly. The stock bearings are 608s, and with the spacers, there is very little play. The problem is with the gap in the shield, though. That's where all the dirt gets into the bearings. It isn't very large, but it is enough of a gap for me to be able to get my pinky nail in there. Usually when I open them up, I can see the dirt just sitting on top of the crown.
Old April 7th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #20
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

I think spinning is probably one of the best, if not the best, way to remove the stuff that don`t belong there. I don`t have a Bont cleaner, I need to pony up and get one. I use the old fashioned way of holding the bearing between your forefinger and thumb and use carb/fuel injector cleaner and let the spray spin the bearing until its clean. Let it air dry then lube it with a 50/50 mixture of Bones Speed Cream and Lucas Oil Stabilizer.