S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old July 18th, 2017, 07:09 PM   #1
bazzmac

Default New Aussie skater

Hello, I'm Baz a 49 year old man that used to skate when I was a 12 to 15 years old. Just at the local skating rinks ( Stafford, Redcliffe and Albany Creek )in Brisbane Australia. I Was better than averages and used to beat most of the adults in the races and would always win red rover and cards.

I got married and have two beautiful kids a 11 year old boy and a 9 year old girl, they attended a few kids birthday parties at skate rink and I went along as my wife is a giraffe when on skates and it would not of ended well. She is super sporty but just not a skater. ( she actually went to the Olympics as a water polo player).

Recently I skated on hire skate ( we used to call these thing Mong boots back in the day) went ok, except I confused my ability with my ambition and ended up in the fast sKate at the end of the session. My kids thought I was amazing. They were cheering like I was in the Olympics. Then the announcer says they always end with a game of tag for the advanced sk8ers ( witch I am not but was thinking maybe with the group on the boards I might go alright).

The kid (Rory) who is clearly the best there, on those silly inline (fast things) starts to tag everyone easily and there are less and less of us left...then there is only me and him ( he's a 12 year old kids of 100 pounds wringing wet and I'm 180 pounds and on Mong boot and have not skated for over 35 years ( this can only end badly.))
I am skating at my maximum speed for the day (for 35 years actually ) when out of the corner of my eye I see Rory (super fast 12 year old) catching me fast, I start my crossover early and am a full tilt when I try to swerve to avoid him and somehow clip my skates together while I sort of look backwards to see where super kid is and I crash face first into the boards. Wow that hurts I think as I come to a stop like a derailed coal train, I sit up using my arms and the blood just drips out my my cut eye like a burst water pipe until I apply firm pressure to it. Lots of blood.
Rory aka super kid skates over and asked if I'm ok? Yeah no problems mate. My kids run onto the rink and are like Dad, that's the best stack we have ever seen...you ok?

And like that I was hooked after 35 years off the wheels I had the desire to get back and have fun with my kids.

I had a few months off to allow the eye and the pride to heal, I have only skated 3/4 session in the last 6 weeks but am really keen to get back into it.

I just purchased an old used set of skates that arrived last night.

I need advice on where to start. I want some basics skates that will allow me to do the sessions, have fun and improve.

I am keeping an eye on the used skate market and really just want to get back into it and then upgrade things as I get better.

The skates I bought are old speed skates, torch boots mounted to a set of metal plates with branded on them. The wheels are Zenith Hugger and surprising spin really well.

The boots are a little too big and I am thinking about attaching a good pair of leather football boots to the plates and possibly upgrading the wheels and or bearings if I need to. Thinking bones Swiss and Aussie Scott wheels.

Cheers baz
bazzmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2017, 05:22 AM   #2
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Hey baz.
Aussie scotts yes bones swiss not needed.
Cheap cube 8balls will do.
Few good skaters up your way .Im sure they will say hello
Old July 19th, 2017, 06:39 AM   #3
HeBeGB

Hey Baz,
Are you in Brissie area?
I have a bit of stuff and can help out.
Old July 19th, 2017, 10:21 AM   #4
Derrick

Noting like a few battle scars to motivate. Welcome aboard.