S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old June 22nd, 2017, 03:11 AM   #1
amohrfeld

Default Chosing a Roll Line plate

My boots came in ahead of schedule.

After much consideration I don't think I'll ever get a single skate setup to cover all the demands I have for my equipment. So I'm planning to build these boots into a freestyle only set. The next pair will be for dance and everything else I do while goofing off at the session.

I think I've narrowed the plate to a Roll Line Matrix.

So my question regards the length. The boot is Riedell 336 size 9 1/2. So i'm thinking the plates should be 175.

I have been skating a Snyder SD with spacing at 7" 177.8mm. It's fine but I feel it's limiting my spins due to the length and position of rear wheel.

1. Does the 175 seem like a good plate length?
2. Any thoughts on position of the rear wheel? (I'm really wanting some help getting up on the rear wheels but I don't want to fall backwards either.)
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 10:03 AM   #2
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
My boots came in ahead of schedule.

After much consideration I don't think I'll ever get a single skate setup to cover all the demands I have for my equipment. So I'm planning to build these boots into a freestyle only set. The next pair will be for dance and everything else I do while goofing off at the session.

I think I've narrowed the plate to a Roll Line Matrix.

So my question regards the length. The boot is Riedell 336 size 9 1/2. So i'm thinking the plates should be 175.

I have been skating a Snyder SD with spacing at 7" 177.8mm. It's fine but I feel it's limiting my spins due to the length and position of rear wheel.

1. Does the 175 seem like a good plate length?
2. Any thoughts on position of the rear wheel? (I'm really wanting some help getting up on the rear wheels but I don't want to fall backwards either.)
there is a chart for the size that goes with the boot, not all of the plates have half sizes so u might have to go even for ex like a 170 and the heel should be just about or to the end of the heel, the front wheels being under the ball of the foot is more important.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 09:36 PM   #3
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

I chose with 170 for 9.5 boot.
if you want more stability chose longer 175.
If you want more maneuverability go with shorter 170.
this was with a RL- Dance plate.
good luck!
Old June 22nd, 2017, 10:22 PM   #4
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

I have a 170 Mistral on my 336 size 8.5. The Mistral is just a bit longer than I think would be optimum, but a 160 might be too short.

I've adapted, and don't have the money to experiment with shorter plates.
Old June 25th, 2017, 08:26 AM   #5
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

That's my ultimate dream plate. Please let us know how it works out for you. Also, do you guys put your own plates on?
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 09:24 PM   #6
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

Mount them correctly yourself, ... or
let the part time 17 year old kid, mount them at the skating rink. NOT !
Old June 29th, 2017, 10:10 AM   #7
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
I have a 170 Mistral on my 336 size 8.5. The Mistral is just a bit longer than I think would be optimum, but a 160 might be too short.

I've adapted, and don't have the money to experiment with shorter plates.
right but a womens size and mens size runs different also on the plates.
Old June 29th, 2017, 10:12 AM   #8
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
That's my ultimate dream plate. Please let us know how it works out for you. Also, do you guys put your own plates on?
i have always mounted my own plates and many skaters plates over the years. its not hard u just have to know that the center of the boot , heel and ball of the foot for a correct mounting. if not sure look at other skaters mounts. usually the center of the boot is about 1/4 to the outside of it from the stitches in the front where people think is the center of the boot but its not.
Old July 1st, 2017, 08:19 PM   #9
amohrfeld

I struck up a conversation at a local rink. They are the US distributor for Kinetix plates. If their claims are true then these plates look like a better option than the Roll Line.

Apparently one of the original Roll Line partners wanted to come out with some new designs and the other partner refused. So the original partner sold the company, waited 5 years and started up Kinetix using his newer ideas. The skaters at my local ring swear by the plates. Honestly I have no idea why they would be any better than the Roll Line. But this is the direction I am headed.

http://www.komplexusa.com/~shop/kine...4/?catId=26709
Old July 2nd, 2017, 10:32 AM   #10
rwsz

Quote:
I struck up a conversation at a local rink. They are the US distributor for Kinetix plates. If their claims are true then these plates look like a better option than the Roll Line.

Apparently one of the original Roll Line partners wanted to come out with some new designs and the other partner refused. So the original partner sold the company, waited 5 years and started up Kinetix using his newer ideas. The skaters at my local ring swear by the plates. Honestly I have no idea why they would be any better than the Roll Line. But this is the direction I am headed.

nice but its really all about the skater. the energy, the atlas, snyder, komplex now. if you cant skate you cant skate. you really just need a good decent plate and you will be fine.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 03:23 PM   #11
amohrfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
nice but its really all about the skater. the energy, the atlas, snyder, komplex now. if you cant skate you cant skate. you really just need a good decent plate and you will be fine.
It takes me about 10 minutes to adjust to a plate, which is part of my problem when experimenting with different lengths.

This week I tried comparing a Snyder 11 (7.00") with a Snyder 10 (6.75") and really could not tell much of a difference.
Old September 6th, 2017, 03:22 AM   #12
Dekindy

Quote:

Had not heard of this brand until I read this reply today. Did a skatelog search on kinetix and only found one reply dated in 2012 that included this brand and a link to the website.
Dekindy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 03:11 PM   #13
wired

Quote:
I struck up a conversation at a local rink. They are the US distributor for Kinetix plates.
Could you please find out WTF Rhinestone Nuts are? Any pix of them in use?

Old September 6th, 2017, 03:26 PM   #14
Tislord

Man that website sucks.
Tislord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 04:26 PM   #15
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tislord View Post
Man that website sucks.
I wouldn't go that far...

Found a pic at Shiny Nuts by Mc.Ruben:

No shortness of shiny!

Not quite like the ones on the Komplex site. Apparently they are made or sold by McRuben.com. I like the understated ones in the photo above and the PDF catalog better than the ones on the Komplex website. Kind of neat, I wonder what threads they have? Their Moon Diamont is kind of a high end Zero Nut.

Old September 8th, 2017, 10:48 PM   #16
larryoracing

Smile A lot of neat stuff out there for the competitive skater!

I saw the Kinetix plates at Nationals. They were really trick, a lot of angle in the trucks and the convex structure of the base plate and really expensive at $650.00

I also saw a range of new roller skates at the STD Wheel Booth. They were not as trick but much more less expensive at $450.00
http://www.stdskates.it/en/pattini/233-telai-curve.html

You can also get the shiny nuts at the:
http://www.thecompetitiveskater.com/...uts-lock-nuts/

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 03:24 AM   #17
amohrfeld

RE: Kinetix

The US company is 2 skate teachers running the distributorship in their spare time. They have to email Italy for everything. I've been trying to order a pair of 170mm but still don't have even a firm price. Really frustrated. Also, the cushions are different from Roll Line, which is a big deal for me. I like to experiment with cushions. If they are not responding to my email about plates I don't think I'll ever get spare cushions. So I'm thinking about ordering something else.
Old September 11th, 2017, 01:46 AM   #18
larryoracing

Smile Worlds is over now, so you should be getting some answers.

Well amohrfeld,

I hope you get your skates. Remember Worlds should be over real soon, so everybody should be coming back home and getting back to the business of selling skates. They probably had a booth up at Worlds and probably sold a ton of those skates.

Iím sure they will answer your emails, give you the best deal possible and some extra cushions. You know itís all about timing and Iím sure your timing is now, since the World Roller Skating Meet is over.

Sincerely,
Larry Otani
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 03:28 PM   #19
amohrfeld

I just ordered the Roll Line Dance plate.
I've seen the Kinetix lady at 2 practices and sent 3 emails and still can't even get a price. The dance plate should get me started and cover 90% of my activities. I'll end up doing a comparison to the Imperials. I really hope the Roll Lines are preferred.

Last edited by amohrfeld; September 21st, 2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old September 21st, 2017, 03:03 PM   #20
crimson

Quote:

I've heard that story before and it's between bull and oversimplification. It was more an issue of the owner having to leave for corporate reasons and not because of an idealistic search for the magic components.
crimson is offline   Reply With Quote