S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old June 18th, 2017, 06:52 AM   #1
larryoracing

Smile Artistic Roller Skating.

I thought Iíd make a post about artistic roller skating. I have been back to skating for about a year now. Iím 62 years old.

I thought competing at my age would be very easy, but I have learned it is very difficult.

Itís not that the skating is hard or that the elements are hard to do, but the level of competition is so high.

I was told that the Veterans Division is not for people that are old, but for people who are seasoned and have been skating for a long while and in essence are excellent skaters.

Next year there will be a change in ďDivisionsĒ, but I hope I continue to skate at the level I have chosen. Even though there is no chance of winning, I am getting better and I enjoy the dances and figures. I have not decided to compete at freestyle for the present. Maybe in the future.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 10:37 AM   #2
rwsz

do it for the pleasure, winning or losing isnt as important if your having fun
Old June 20th, 2017, 04:00 PM   #3
larryoracing

Smile Thanks for the reply Ric,

Dear Rick,

I agree with you. You should skate for fun and enjoy it. But what I found amazing is that the body does not learn well at an old age. Things you did as a youngster seem to stay with you but learning completely new dances is extremely hard when you get old.

I have been practicing six forward dances that I have never skated before. After 1 year of training Iím just learning how to do them, and they are really not at the level to compete, but they are fun to do and challenging.

The question is, is competition about having fun or winning. I have a feeling competing is about winning and not having fun. I have been told when you win, that is funÖlol!

So, I do have the option to skate at a lower level next year, where the chances of winning would be better. But I like the challenge and would like to continue with the harder division I have chosen.

Sincerely,
Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 09:41 AM   #4
rwsz

Larry thats for sure, your body muscles and joints are much more different and not as strong or as resilient as when you are younger. also your muscle memory isnt there from when you learned all those years of skating.

in freestyle i seen these older men that could be triples come back and barely get a single done, if they got a double they took longer and had to lose weight which is also another factor. so before you always wanted to win and it would add to the fun. so now just have fun and if you win or place its a bonus.

Last edited by rwsz; June 22nd, 2017 at 10:04 AM. Reason: bad spelling
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 10:17 AM   #5
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
Dear Rick,

I agree with you. You should skate for fun and enjoy it. But what I found amazing is that the body does not learn well at an old age. Things you did as a youngster seem to stay with you but learning completely new dances is extremely hard when you get old.

I have been practicing six forward dances that I have never skated before. After 1 year of training Iím just learning how to do them, and they are really not at the level to compete, but they are fun to do and challenging.

The question is, is competition about having fun or winning. I have a feeling competing is about winning and not having fun. I have been told when you win, that is funÖlol!

So, I do have the option to skate at a lower level next year, where the chances of winning would be better. But I like the challenge and would like to continue with the harder division I have chosen.

Sincerely,
Larry O
If I had the oportunity to compete I would. But personally, I woudn't be concerned about going down a level.

To me it's art, music and motion. Winning is nice. But if I keep increasing my feel for the sport I'm very happy. And yes, I learn the stuff I want to learn very slowly. Still trying to improve the IB. I go in my basement and throw some scratch spins almost evey morning to some good music. Still learning three turns too. Just working on a 360 jump, I can just barely pull it off. Now to land on one foot. No matter, I still improve if ever so slowly, so be it. My blood pressure is down, I lost 25 lbs, stopped smoking, drink very little, and do a little yoga. All for the love of the game. It's very benificial even though I'll never win a dance competition. Compete with yourself, don't worry about divisions.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 01:09 AM   #6
PACAskater

Default Winning or having fun?

Larry---

When I was younger, it was probably all about the winning for me. Now that I'm older, I still want to win, but if I don't, there won't be the devastation and angst of those teenage years!

I will be skating Regionals next week 31 years after I skated my last Regionals event. Life has provided a bunch of twists and turns for me to end up here. For that, I am grateful.

I plan on enjoying the event as much as possible. I realize how fortunate I am to be doing this again and just want to "soak" it all in. (Something I did not do as a young person!). My husband will be joining me. I want him to have a good time too! I don't think he ever imagined he'd be surrounded by so much lycra and rhinestones!

If I win/place, that will be the icing on the cake. I want to go out and skate the best that I can and be happy. Is that possible? Ask me next Friday!

Cheers!
Tommi
PACAskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 09:36 AM   #7
Ancient1

Tommi,
Best of luck! I am happy for your husband that he is going to be blest with skating an event. So cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACAskater View Post
Larry---

When I was younger, it was probably all about the winning for me. Now that I'm older, I still want to win, but if I don't, there won't be the devastation and angst of those teenage years!

I will be skating Regionals next week 31 years after I skated my last Regionals event. Life has provided a bunch of twists and turns for me to end up here. For that, I am grateful.

I plan on enjoying the event as much as possible. I realize how fortunate I am to be doing this again and just want to "soak" it all in. (Something I did not do as a young person!). My husband will be joining me. I want him to have a good time too! I don't think he ever imagined he'd be surrounded by so much lycra and rhinestones!

If I win/place, that will be the icing on the cake. I want to go out and skate the best that I can and be happy. Is that possible? Ask me next Friday!

Cheers!
Tommi
Old June 22nd, 2017, 03:35 PM   #8
PACAskater

Oh thanks Jim! My husband won't be skating though! He will be head cheerleader, crew chief, and sherpa for me! Although it would be a blast to skate together, skating isn't his sport!

T
PACAskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 07:30 PM   #9
Ancient1

Bummer... I misunderstood when you said he would be surrounded by lycra and glitter. I imagined surrounding meant over his body. It's still a cool thought.

You are welcome Tommi. I still wish you the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACAskater View Post
Oh thanks Jim! My husband won't be skating though! He will be head cheerleader, crew chief, and sherpa for me! Although it would be a blast to skate together, skating isn't his sport!

T