S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old June 16th, 2017, 10:45 AM   #1
Bunny_Hop

Default Inline wheelbase length question

Hi everyone, I love quad skating and street/trail skating in my quads, but I am finding they're too slow to keep up with other skaters in a group. So I'm looking into inlines.

I went to a shop and tried some on, and the ones I really liked were the Fila Houdinis (I know some people have opinions about Fila skates and I'm open to hearing those) because they felt very comfortable, both in terms of the boot and also the limited amount of skating I did in them.
(Rink shop and they let me do a few laps.) But ultimately I haven't bought them yet.

The other thing I liked is that they come with 4x80mm wheels, but you can put in 4x84mm or 3x90mm (using alternate centre axel). Which would be good if I decide later to hit the bike trail.

However, this does mean that the frames are a bit longer than they would be if the max wheel size were 80mm. I have fairly small feet and it feels weird having a wheel in front of my toe... However I'm not sure if this is just because I'm accustomed to quads!

Are there any disadvantages to a longer wheelbase, relative to your foot length? Does the extra 4mm in each wheel make much difference? (I guess this would add 12mm to the distance between the contact patch of the front and back wheel.)

Thanks!

- Confused Quad Skater Switching to Inlines
Old June 16th, 2017, 03:00 PM   #2
phicoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny_Hop View Post
Are there any disadvantages to a longer wheelbase, relative to your foot length? Does the extra 4mm in each wheel make much difference? (I guess this would add 12mm to the distance between the contact patch of the front and back wheel.)
It depends on what you want to do. If you want to be manoeuvrable, then it is small wheels, short wheel base, rockered setup.

If you want a smooth ride on bad roads, go for big wheels. If you want speed then you need to find an optimum, i.e. what is the biggest setup you can push.

Note that 4x84 or 3x90 is quite small. Speed skating moved up to 4x110 then moved on to 3x125.

As you go up in wheel size they roll better on bad pavement. However, 4 wheels tend to roll better than 3 for the same wheel size.

I guess compared to quads, cross overs require bit more effort with longer frames on inline skates.
phicoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2017, 07:13 PM   #3
WJCIV

There are some disadvantages to a longer wheelbase in crossover technique, but a 4x84 isn't long enough to be a problem if you are the larger than the average 8 year old.

Double check that it can take 4x84, though, since the online marketing I see doesn't mention that. I'll also point out that 4x84 is probably a better bet than 3x90. It will offer better roll (bigger wheels roll better, but more wheels also roll better, so the variables are working at cross purposes here), and I don't think that the extra 6mm is enough to smooth out anything worthwhile. There's always a chance that the pattern of the pavement matches the 3 wheel spacing better, but that would be pretty niche. It's also possible that you will find it hard to locate 84mm wheels. In that case, I don't know if 4x80 or 3x90 rolls better.

If you know that you won't want to upgrade and you are comfortable with the frame alignment, this may be a good option for you. Otherwise I would suggest looking into a setup that allows you to swap out and adjust the frame. I don't have enough experience in rec skates to make a good suggestion for what that alternative might be.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 02:04 AM   #4
nickajshelden
Blades

I skate on just about every setup you can think of, and I keep them in a big bag, lol

anyways...

wheel in front of toe:
To some extent, you will just have to live with that. That is [almost] and given difference between quads and inlines. Some quads though have long wheel bases that are about comparable to some triskates, where the front wheel ends right about at the toe. These are usually hockey skates though, designed for maneuverability rather than distance. in any case, get frame and a boot, not a single piece boot/frame. Then you ought to be able to adjust the setup [a little].

wheel size:
[typically] smaller = maneuverable && larger = speed&distance.
smaller wheels, especially when rockered, will be better for precision work, though just about everything works when rockered. my recommendation is get a frame where the axles can be configured to be rockered or not. Then you have the best of both worlds.
larger wheels present less load on the axle, more rotational inertia, and a better obstacle clearance. In other words, if you are outdoor on unpredictable surfaces and/or you wanna go fast, larger wheels should do better.

Since you plan to do trail and city, I'd recommend a larger wheel setup. Due to other things i've mentioned, either get a good urban skate or a hockey setup. Hockey will give you the most familiar feel, however, that usually comes at the cost of a less-than-comfortable boot. splurge on a triskate frame, and trade boots when you think you are ready for it.

another note: durometer is a really subjective thing. I have a habit of double-foot sliding for stops, and I'm usually outside. I live comfortably in the sub-85A range of wheels.
Old July 13th, 2017, 02:07 AM   #5
nickajshelden
Blades

oh, and about more wheels rolling better than fewer, this is true, but I've only found it to make a noticable difference on stairs. my speed skates are 4x115, and they roll over anything, even better than my 3x100 hockey skates, but the difference is minimal. both roll better than a 5x80 setup I borrowed
Old July 13th, 2017, 02:31 AM   #6
nickajshelden
Blades

...and another possible vote for larger wheels:
if you live in a mounainous region like me i.e. long steep hills with stop signs and traffic at the bottom, you will likely do a lot of wheel dragging. I find this ruins small wheels much more quickly than large wheels. This is not an advantage to large wheels that anybody else told me about, but it has been one of the biggest money savers to me. I now use 84+ at minimum for around town, usually 100 or 115
Old September 10th, 2017, 11:46 PM   #7
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

I agree that on long straight trails the larger wheels are awesome for speed and stability. My first pair of inlines were Rollerblade 4x80. Not being a speed skater and only a marginal fitness skater I tend to return to my 80's due to the maneuverability, shorter frame and personal comfort levels. I have invested in Swiss 6 bearings and decent wheels which minimize rolling resistence for all the skates I have. I have to admit using my 4x100's is fun but when I plug into my music and get the crazy skater look on my face, basking in the glow of my endorphins, it's all good🙂